|This area of Ontario is covered by Dufferin County GenWeb. The information presented below is merely an outline of the county and does not include what is available for genealogical research for this area. For information on genealogical research of this area please visit Dufferin County GenWeb.|
Dufferin County was established as a provisional county in 1874 with townships formerly in the counties of Grey, Simcoe, and Wellington. In 1881 it was formally proclaimed a county.
It was named for Canada's 1872-1878 Governor-General, Lord Dufferin.
"Dufferin County [is] a prime mixed farming and livestock-raising region." "Agriculture was, as it still is, the key to the county's economy."2
"The first white settler in the area was Michael McLaughlin, an Irish carpenter who arrived in 1819."2
Prior to the forming of Dufferin County "Melancthon Township and the village of Shelburne were located in Grey County; Mono and Mulmur Townships formed part of Simcoe County; while the village of Orangeville, and the Townships of Amaranth and parts of Garafraxa and Luther were under the jurisdiction of Wellington County."2
"Population 22,084 in 1881 and 30,327 in 1980." 3
Dufferin County is located in Southern Ontario.
Prior to 1874 - Grey County, Simcoe District, Wellington County
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
2 Places In Ontario by Nick & Helma Mika, 1977
3 Place Names of Ontario by Floreen Carter, 1984
5 Place Names of Ontario by Alan Rayburn, 1997