|This area of Ontario is covered by Glengarry County GenWeb. The information presented below is merely an outline of the county and does not include what is available for genealogical research for this area. For information on genealogical research of this area please visit Glengarry County GenWeb.|
Glengarry County was established in 1792. The first settlers, United Empire Loyalists' Herkimer's Batteau Company, Kings Royal Rangers (New York) and the 84th Regiment of Foot, arrived in 1783.
In 1786 500 settlers arrived from Glengarry, Scotland and were the first to settle inland, away from a river.
By the early 1800's the population of Glengarry was primarily Scottish but began to change when French Canadian settlers arrived. They had left neighbouring communities in Quebec due to land shortages.
"Farming was the main occupation of Glengarry families and although the county is well watered by the Raisin, the Baudette and the Delisle Rivers, as well as several branches of the Rigaud River, the land did not produce too many rich farms and it became customary for the young men to winter in the lumber shanties to supplement their income. The men also left for parts of the United States and the western provinces seeking a more lucrative way of life."2
"Population 17,7000 in 1852 and 19,217 in 1966."3
"Area 295,894 acres."1
Glengarry County is located in South-Eastern Ontario.
1792-1850 - In Eastern District
1850-present - Part of the municipality of the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry."2
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
1 Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America 1873
2 Places In Ontario by Nick & Helma Mika, 1977
3 Place Names of Ontario by Floreen Carter, 1984