|This area of Ontario is covered by Grenville County GenWeb. The information presented below is merely an outline of the county and does not include what is available for genealogical research for this area. For information on genealogical research of this area please visit Grenville County GenWeb.|
Established as a county in Eastern District in 1792. Became part of Johnstown District in 1798.
The county was named for "William Wyndham Grenville, British Secretary-of-State for Foreign Affairs, 1791-1801."2
The first settlers were United Empire Loyalist's (Jessup's Loyal Rangers) who arrived in 1784. Most early arrivals settled along the St. Lawrence River.
"Although Grenville is primarily a rural area with over half of its 25,000 people living in small villages or on farms, a number of industries have flourished in the area. Brickyards were a common sight in the nineteenth century. In 1858 the first starch factory in Canada, which later became the Canada Starch Company."2
"Population 20,702 in 1852 and 15,989 in 1941."3
Grenville County is located in South-Eastern Ontario.
1792-1798 - In Eastern District
1798-1850 - In Johnstown District
1850-present - Part of the municipality of the United Counties of Leeds and Grenville.
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
1 Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America 1873
2 Places In Ontario by Nick & Helma Mika, 1977
3 Place Names of Ontario by Floreen Carter, 1984