|This area of Ontario is covered by Haldimand County GenWeb. The information presented below is merely an outline of the county and does not include what is available for genealogical research for this area. For information on genealogical research of this area please visit Haldimand County GenWeb.|
Haldimand County was established in 1800 and named for Sir Frederick Haldimand, Governor-in-Chief of Canada (1778-1786).
"The tract of land on each side of the Grand River, now in the occupation of the Six Nation Indians, and laying to the southward and southeast of Dundas street, do constitute and form the County of Haldimand."6
Joseph Brant and his followers, known as the Six Nations, were granted six miles of land on each side of the Grand River in which to settle. Brant also invited many fellow Loyalists not of native heritage to settle on their land. They arrived in 1784.
In 1816 the townships of Ancaster, Barton, Binbrook, Glanford, and Saltfleet were removed from Haldimand County and established as Wentworth County.
During the early days of Haldimand County, an important industry was lumber. Once the forests could no longer support this industry farming took over.
"Population 18,788 in 1852, 16,318 in 1891 and 28,197 in 1966."3
"On April 1st, 1974, this county was dissolved"3, and along with Norfolk County became part of the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk.
In 2001 the municipality was dissolved and the former counties re-instated as separate municipalites of Haldimand County and Norfolk County.
Haldimand County is located in South-Western Ontario.
Prior to 1800 the area that is Haldimand County was part of Lincoln County and Norfolk County
1800-1845 - Niagara District
1974-2001 - Part of the Regional Municipality of Haldimand-Norfolk
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
1 Lovell's Gazetteer of British North America 1873
2 Places In Ontario by Nick & Helma Mika, 1977
3 Place Names of Ontario by Floreen Carter, 1984
6 A Statutory Chronology of Eastern Ontario, 1788-1981 by Thomas A. Hillman