|This area of Ontario is covered by Halton County GenWeb. The information presented below is merely an outline of the county and does not include what is available for genealogical research for this area. For information on genealogical research of this area please visit Halton County GenWeb.|
Established in 1816 and consisting of the townships of Beverly, Blanford, Blenheim, Dumfries, Flamborough, Nelson, Nichol, Trafalgar, Waterloo and Woolwich. Over the years most of the townships were removed to other counties leaving only four: Esquesing (added in 1821), Nassawasaga (1821), Nelson and Trafalgar.
The county was named for Upper Canada's Secretary Major William Halton.
The first settlers were United Empire Loyalists who arrived in the 1780's.
"Population 18,322 in 1852 and 106,967 in 1966."3
"In 1974 the municipality of Halton County ceased to exist and the Regional Municipality of Halton was created."2
"In 1978 the population of the Regional Municipality of Halton was 234,872."2
Halton County is located in Southern Ontario.
Prior to 1816 the area that is Halton County was part of York County
1816-1849 - part of Gore District
1974-present - part of the Regional Municipality of Halton.
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
2 Places In Ontario by Nick & Helma Mika, 1977
3 Place Names of Ontario by Floreen Carter, 1984