Formerly the two separate counties of Addington County and Lennox County.
In 1798 Lennox County and Addington County were joined together for administrative purposes. In 1800 "An act for the better division of this province" ... "That the townships of Ernest Town, Fredericksburg, Adolphustown, Richmond, Camden (distinguished by being called Camden East), Amherst Island, and Sheffield, do constitute and form the incorporated counties of Lenox and Addington."6
The first townships settled were the ones in the south along the St Lawrence River/Bay of Quinte. As with most of the counties in South-Eastern Ontario, the first settlers were United Empire Loyalists who arrived in 1784.
As townships were surveyed and laid out for settlement, each one was available for settlement by specific UEL soldiers. Sir John Johnson's soldiers settled in Ernestown, Colonel Rogers' in Fredericksburgh, and Major Van Alstine's in Adolphustown.
Lumber was the main industry when timber was plentiful, as it dwindled agriculture and tourism took over.
"Population 26,705 in 1871 and 32,757 in 1980."3
Lennox & Addington County is located in South-Eastern Ontario.
1800-1849 - part of Midland District
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
2 Places In Ontario by Nick & Helma Mika, 1977
6 A Statutory Chronology of Eastern Ontario, 1788-1981 by Thomas A. Hillman