Established in 1800 from Home District, abolished in 1849.
Niagara District was comprised of the counties of Haldimand, Lincoln and Welland with the exception of "the townships of Seneca, Oneida, Rainham, and Walpole."4
The area was first settled by United Empire Loyalists and British army veterans in the 1780's.
"A large portion of the district is settled by Americans and their descendants, and native Canadians, and there are also a considerable number of Pennsylvanian Dutch."4
"Population in 1841, 31,549."4
Niagara District was located in South-Western Ontario.
Prior to 1800 - part of Home District
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
4 Smith's Canadian Gazetteer by W.H. Smith, 1846