|This area of Ontario is covered by Sudbury District GenWeb. The information presented below is merely an outline of the county and does not include what is available for genealogical research for this area. For information on genealogical research of this area please visit Sudbury District GenWeb.|
Sudbury District was established in 1894 from Nipissing District.
Settlers started arriving in the area with the railways. As the rails were completed loggers moved in.
In the early 1880's nickel was discovered in the district, and mining is still a major industry in Sudbury District today.
"The regional municipality of Sudbury was severed from the district in 1973 and divided into the city of Sudbury and the towns of Capreol, Nickel Centre, Valley East, Rayside-Balfour, Onaping Falls, and Walden."5
"Population 4,842 in 1891, 80,815 in 1941, 165,862 in 1966."3
Sudbury District is located in North-East Ontario.
Prior to 1894 - part of Nipissing District
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
3 Place Names of Ontario by Floreen Carter, 1984
5 Place Names of Ontario by Alan Rayburn, 1997