Established 24 July 1788 as Hesse District in 1788, renamed Western in 1792. Consisted of the counties of Essex, Kent, and part of Lambton. Abolished in 1849.
The southern part of the county was settled by French settlers during the time of New France.
Population in 1844: 27,619
Western District was located in South-Western Ontario.
1788-1792 - Hesse District
More maps of this area
Questions & Answers
4 Smith's Canadian Gazetteer by W.H. Smith, 1846