Old Protestant Burying Grounds (Elm Ave Cemetery) Biographies
Prominent Burials In the Old Protestant Burying Grounds
- David and George Allan - died as very young children in 1847 and 1843. They were the children of George Allan, a stone cutter, who may have worked on the construction of Province House.
- Frances Elizabeth Alley - died Sept. 1869, age 20, and her husband, Thomas Alfred Alley, who died in Mar. 1869, age 29. Thomas, and architect was the Superintendent of Works at the military compound at Brighton. The old Thomas Alley House is the present home of the Canadian Red Cross.
- Samuel Bagnall - a United Empire Loyalist, died in Apr. 1810, age 65. He fled to the Island in 1787 from New York. He became a deputy sheriff and a jaoler, and later, the Sergeant at Arms, as well as being a cabinet maker by trade.
- Jabez Bernard - immigrated from England in 1809. He died in 1851, age 71, after serving as a carpenter here for almost 50 years.
- William Bain - a bricklayer, who worked on Province House, lost his son, William D. in June 1863, age 23.
- Helen Bayfield - daughter of Admiral Bayfield, was an artist. She died in 1867.
- John Charles Binns, Esq. - lived on Kent St., and was an attorney. He later moved to "Binsted" in the Royalty, and died in 1870, age 62. He was the son of Charles Binns, who was a member of what was called the "Escheat Party", under William Cooper. Charles was a lawyer who died in 1847 at the age of 83, while his wife, Elizabeth, died the following year at 62 years.
- George Birnie - was a son of Alexander Birnie, of the firm Birnie and Waters, London, merchants who operated a business here from 1810 until 1841. At this time, the buildings were put up for sale, but there were no buyers. Son George built a large warehouse on the property, and began the Phoenix Foundry, which operated until 1850. George died in 1863, age 77. His wife, Magdalene, died two years later at age 76. She was a daughter of the famous John Stewart of Mt. Stewart.
- Samuel Braddock - a United Empire Loyalist and a member of the House of Assembly in the election called by Gov. Patterson in 1774, lost his third daughter, Hannah, in 1831, aged 28.
- Commander John Beazely - who owned the property where the Provincial Exhibition Grounds are now located, lost his wife, Margaret, in 1850, at age 49, and daughter, Simeona in 1851 at age 30, while he died some time after this. See series of Beazely letters on The Island Register's Letters Page describing the circumstances surrounding their deaths!
- John Brecken - a United Empire Loyalist, arrived here from Sherbourne in 1784 with his wife, Ann, who died at the age of 82 in 1811.John became a merchant in Charlottetown and owned a business, John Brecken and Company. He was elected to the House of Assembly in 1785.Prior to 1826, he left his business to his grandsons, and he sailed for England, where he died. His grandson, Ralph, was a merchant and exporter; he was elected to the House of Assembly and became Speaker of the House in 1812. He was a Lieutenant in the Militia, and a Justice of the Peace. He became a leading spokesman for the tenantry in the Assembly. His bride was Matilda Robinson, a daughter of Lt. Col. Joseph Robinson. Ralph died in 1813, and Matilda in 1842, age 65. It was one of Ralph's sons-in-law who established the Macdonald Consolidated School in Mt. Herbert.
- Alexander Brown - Master of the newly founded Grammar School in 1825, then assistant master of the Central Academy, and later Master of it. His teaching career spanned 20 years. When a Board of Education was formed in 1844, he was one of the five chosen to serve on it. He was buried here, his widow, Catherine Ellen, died in 1868 at age 68, and they lost their daughter in 1865 at the age of 12.
- William Butcher - a builder and carpenter, emigrated in the 1820's from England with his wife, Mary, who died in 18?8, age 73. He died in 18??, age 78. Their son, Mark, was the famous Island furniture-maker. Mark married Margaret Theodota, who died in 1848, age 37.
- Benjamin Chappell - the Island's first Postmaster, and the founder of Methodism here, died in 1825, age 76, leaving us a diary that gives great insight into early island life.
- Phillips Callbeck - a Lt. Col. Of the Militia, Attorney General, and Speaker of the House of Assembly. He had the dubious honor of being one of the two captives taken in Canada by American privateers in the American Revolution. When Col. George Washington decided to invade Canada, his ships set out to destroy any ships carrying supplies from England to Canada. Two American privateers sailed into Charlottetown Harbour, and seized Callbeck and Thomas Wright, and took them back to Col. Washington, who set the two prisoners free with a letter of apology.
When Phillips Callbeck died in 1790 at the age of 46, a stone merely marked P.C. was set in place to mark his grave, intended only as a temporary marker. The Assembly voted 20 pounds to have a proper monument made in London as a testimony of its esteem. This was soon forgotten, and the monument was never ordered. Finally, Senator Catherine Callbeck's grandfather, William, had a proper stone set up for his ancestor.
- Hon. George Coles - and his wife, Mary, lost two babies, Mary Jane in 1846 at 14 mos., and little son, William Haines in 1847, at 8 mos. Hon. George served as premier of the province and constantly spoke on the land issue. He was leader of the opposition at the Charlottetown Conference and became best known for being one of the Fathers of Confederation.
- George's parents, James and Sarah were buried here. James was a native of Somerset, England, and a member of the "Established Church", and a resident of Charlottetown for over 50 years. He died in 1861, age 78, and his wife, Sarah died in 1857, age 71. James and Sarah's eldest daughter died in 1873, at age 60.
- Christopher Cross - a devout Methodist rests here, too. He held weekly prayer meetings at his home in the 1830's. At these meetings one often heard loud responses of "Amen" or "Pray on Bretheren". Mr. Cross owned a parrot which also echoed these responses. In summer, Mr. Cross used to put the parrot out on the front porch where it learned some new expressions during a rather heated election campaign. At the next prayer meeting the parrot hurled out some of his new, rather unsavory language instead of the customary responses. This was the Cross's parrot's last performance at a prayer meeting.
- Kezia Davies - In 1852, a "melancholy accident" occurred when Kezia, wife of Benjamin Davies, was baking a cake over the kitchen fire, and, while removing it from the fire, she accidentally brushed against the burning logs and her dress ignited. She immediately dashed up two flights of stairs where her screaming brought a servant who tried to smother the flames, but a frenzied Kezia rushed downstairs and across the street, where Mrs. Duchemin and her daughter extinguished the fire - but not "until every particle of clothing was entirely consumed" and she was dreadfully burned. She died at age 33.
- James Davis - a painter and hotel keeper buried two wives, Julia in 1854, aged 42, and Margaret Jane Anderson in 1870 at 55.
- Col. Thomas Dawson - an early Methodist lay-preacher, who traveled to various parts of the Island rests here.
- Rev. Theophilus Desbrisay - came here from Dublin, Ireland as the first resident Protestant Clergy. He died in 1823, age 69, after serving as Rector of the Charlotte Parish for almost 47 years. Nearby are markers for Thomas and Alfred DesBrisay, sons of Theophilus. Thomas founded "Apothocaries Hall", a drug store where Cow's Ice Cream is now located. Alfred became a Wesleyan clergyman.
- William Dockendorff - came here from Maine. He was one who petitioned the King of England to remove Gov. Charles Douglas Smith, because they said he deprived the people of their constitutional privileges when he prosecuted any that were in arrears in paying Quit Rents. Mr. Dockendorff died in 1839, age 67.
- Capt. Simon Dodd - bought the house at 17 Pownal Street as a "house for Permanent and Transient Boarders". He died in 1857, age 66. His widow, Jane Walker, died in 1866, age 75. One son, Thomas, was a member of the Legislature, a prominent merchant, and then a partner with Benjamin Rogers to form Dodd and Rogers, which later became Rogers Hardware. Another son, Simon, became a medical doctor, and set up a pharmacy.
- William Douse - was a wealthy land agent and ship builder [who's name carries on to this day at the sight of his Orwell Cove shipyard, known as Douse's Point], as well as a member of the Legislature for 27 years, and as the owner of considerable property in Charlottetown. He died in 1864.
- Watson Duchemin, 1790- 1872 - and his wife, Sarah F. Clark, died in 1868 at age 71. They lost two young children, Edwin in 1824 at 8 months, and Peter Hamilton, burned to death in 1827 at 5 years. Do doubt, when Mrs. Davies ran from across the street with her hair and clothing ablaze 25 years later, many old memories were evoked.
- Susan Galbraith - One of Charlottetown's best known music groups was Galbraith's Band, formed and led by Robert Galbraith. His wife, Susan, was from Cornwall and died here in 1866 at age 44.
- A number of United Empire Loyalists were buried here, including John Gardiner in 1842 at age 83, as well as his father in law, Thomas Hazard, who died in 1804.
- Alida Ellen Gisborne - died 5 January 1854. She was the wife of Frederick W. Gisborne, who was born in Lancashire, England, in 1824, and immigrated here just three years before her death. Ellen's Creek is named after her, and Frederick is remembered for laying the first submarine cable in the world, which was between N.B. and P.E.I., in Nov., 1852. Mr. Walter Auld reports that the Island Telephone Company maintains the Gisborne plot.
- Hon. George R. Goodman - was Surveyor of Shipping, Member of H. M.'s Executive and Legislative Councils. He died in 1870. His wife, Isabella Bremner had died 22 years earlier.
- Robert Grey - Loyalist, arrived on P.E.I. in 1787 at Gov. Fanning's request. He was appointed Treasurer, and was a member of the Council, then he was made an Assistant Judge until his death in 1828. His wife, Mary, was a daughter of Lt. George Burns, who had helped Holland conduct his survey of the Island. Mary predeceased her husband in 1813, age 37. It is believed that Mary and Robert Grey are buried in a vault.
One of the sons was John Hamilton Gray who settled on the North River, and named his estate "Inkerman". He served as premier of the Island, and presided at the Charlottetown Conference.
- John Grubb - a Devonshire native, died in 1846, age 59. His seat was named "Falconwood House" on the river. He invited Sir John A. MacDonald to stay here to recover from his gallstone attack. Sir John A. spent a summer here before returning to Ottawa
- William Critchlow Harris - was a well known and respected architect, who designed many Island and Maritime churches and other buildings. He immigrated with his parents, William Harris, Sr., and his wife, Sarah Stretch. The senior Harris's buried their baby daughter, Martha here, but they are buried in St. Peter's Cemetery.
- The Haszard's - Another Loyalist family, the Haszard's arrived here complete with children and slaves. Thomas Haszard in 1804. Two years before he died, he left the only bills of sale for slaves registered in Charlottetown. One of the Haszard sons, William, died in 1847, age 80, and his wife, Ann Farrant outlived him by 11 years, dying at age 78, and buried here.
- Hon. Thomas W. Haviland - a land agent, served as Colonial Treasurer, Colonial Secretary, Member of the Executive and Legislative Council, and Mayor of Charlottetown, making him one of the most important men in P.E.I., between 1820 to 1860. He built "Fairholm" in 1838-39 which still stands on the corner of Prince and Fitzroy Streets. His son, Thomas Heath Haviland was a Father of Confederation, and his wife, Jane Rebecca Brecken died soon after the house was completed, but the Hon. Thomas lived until 1869 and died at 77.
- Sir Robert Hodgson - served as Attorney General and Lt. Governor. He was knighted by Queen Victoria. His wife, Fanny, died in 1832 at age 28, and is buried here, but Sir Robert's remains are in Sherwood Cemetery. Robert was remembered for calling in the Militia from Halifax to quell the riots by the Tenant League and to serve as protection in case of Fenian raids.
- John Hobbs - a cabinet maker, came out with Lord Selkirk. His shop was on University Avenue. His wife, Mary Ann died in 1861, age 43, and three of their children are buried here, too.
- Anna Marie Jarvis - wife of the Chief Justice Edward James Jarvis, died in 1841, age 51, while he died in 1850, age 63. They came here from New Brunswick. Apparently, Edward remarried Elizabeth Grey, daughter of Hon. Robert Grey. She died in 1847, age 44.
- Lousia Caroline Jenkins - died in 1866, age 27. Penelope, in 1845 age 19, and her sister, Mary Elizabeth, in 1832 at 4 months, both daughters of L. C. Jenkins, Rector of this Parish. He left Cornwall, England, to serve as a clergyman in Quebec. His ship was wrecked off the western part of P.E.I. and he stayed here, becoming Rector of St. Paul's upon the death of Rev. T. Desbrisay.
- Hon. Henry A. Johnson - his sons, Hammond, and Dr. Brady Johnson, immigrated from Lincolnshire, England in 1850. Dr. Henry Brady Johnson died at Little York a few weeks after landing, age 25, while Hon. Henry A. Johnson, one of Charlottetown's early physicians and surgeons died in 1872. His son, Hammond, also a physician, had died in 1868, at age 38.
- Hon. Ambrose Lane - Town Mayor, Lt. Colonel, Adjutant General, and Inspector of Militia, died in 1833, age 61. On two occasions he administered the government of this colony, and for 36 years was a member of the Executive Council and Justice of the Peace. His wife, Mary, was a daughter of Lt. Gov. Charles Douglas Smith, and a niece of Sir Sidney Smith. She died in 1830, age 34, after burying a daughter, Jane Elizabeth, in 1825, age 5 1/2 years.
- The Longworths - an early and prominent family in the life of Charlottetown. Elizabeth died in 1817 at 15 years, and George Longworth in 1823, age 22.
- Francis Longworth, Esq., a native of Ireland, died in 1843 at age 76, and his widow, Agnes, died in 1850, age 74. Francis was a Conservative leader in the Assembly, and worked for "Responsible Government". His family owned large tracts of land on St. Peter's Road, and in their honor, the area is now called Longworth Avenue.
- Robert Longworth was a merchant, ship owner, and one of the first councilmen for Charlottetown. He and his wife, Margaret Lucy, had a number of sorrows, as they buried sons, Robert Henry in 1841, at age 20, and Francis John in 1852, age 18, and daughters Susan Eliza in 1848, age 1 year 4 months, and Margaret Agnes in 1867, age 30.
- George Fesch Lowden - born in Pictou, but died suddenly here in 1864, age 40. He was a wealthy merchant and has a tobacco manufacturing business on Water Street, which was destroyed in the Great Fire. His widow, Esther, has a fine home built in the Italianate style on Haviland Street. Later, after her death, this house was leased by the American Consul, who wanted it because it faced the Harbor. Later, it became the "United Services Officers Club", and later, still, the "Gentlemen's Club".
- George Mabey - a Loyalist, died in 1847, at age 91, and his wife, Mary, died in 1836. Their son, Paul, was a Captain in the Militia, and was living in 1835 on Sydney Street.
- Peter MacGowan - was appointed Attorney General of the Island. He was also very interested in the Escheat movement, and died suddenly in 1810, aged 47. His widow, Ann, died in 1858, age 92.
- Sam Nelson - a native of Philadelphia, along with his brother, John, came to the Island in 1785 as wards of Lt. Governor Fanning. Sam Nelson died in 1866, aged 90: his wife Mary had died in 1848, age 63. During his life, he was a member of the Legislature, a Justice of the Peace, and High Sheriff for Queen's County.
Sam's son, Wellington, buried his wife, Eliza, in 1864, aged 42. Eliza and Wellington lost their young daughter, Mary in 1861 at age 11.
- Captain John Orlebar, R. N. - was an assistant to Capt. Henry Wolsey Bayfield in the hydrographic survey of the St. Lawrence River and the east coast of British North America. He was an officer in the Colonial School and Church Society. He was instrumental in establishing the first free school on the Island in the area known as "the Bog", which is where our present government office buildings are. John and his wife, Harriett, lost their eldest daughter, Mary, in 1832, age 7. The Orlebars were very active in the Island's social and religious life in the 1860's.
- The Owen Family - Another interesting family represented in this graveyard is the Owen family. Arthur Owen of Princetown was a naval architect and shipbuilder. He died in 1823 at age 66. Thomas Owen died in 1863, age ?63. He was Postmaster General of the Island, but perhaps more importantly, is remembered as one of a committee that prepared a petition asking that the King get rid of Lt. Gov. Charles Douglas Smith. Lemuel Owen, Arthur's grandson, was a ship merchant and built "Birchwood" in 1877, which is now the site of Hennesey's Funeral Home.
- James Bardin Palmer - Barrister at Law, and his wife, Millicent, came here from London around 1802. He was determined to make his fortune. He was the agent for several absent land proprietors, a very competent lawyer, and was soon himself the proprietor of 10,000 acres himself. Gov. DesBarres took Palmer into his confidence and soon Palmer was Adjutant General of the Militia, Inspector of Roads, Member of the Council and the Assembly. He died in 1833 at age 63, while his widow, Millicent lived about 49 years. Their daughter, Anna Louisa died in 1866, age 52.
- Thomas Pethick - was a well known brewer, who's home and brewery were on Weymouth Street. He was one of the first councilmen for Charlottetown. Thomas died 1870, age 73, and his wife, Henrietta, died in 1840, aged 42. Their children, William T., died in 1867, age 36, Thomas Henry at 3 months, and Victoria Alexanderina in 1841, age 3 years, and their youngest daughter, Henrietta, died in 1840.
- John Plaw - a celebrated architect who immigrated in 1807. In Charlottetown, he was known for designing the first Court House for Queen's Square. It was built between 1811 and 1814 and served not only for court, but for government until the present Province House was built. He also submitted a design for the 16 sided Market House on Queen Street where Confederation Centre now stands. He died in 1820, age 75, while his widow, Mary lived another three years, dying at age 79.
- The Purdie Family - another early Island family. James Purdie was a merchant, and around 1846, bought a large house on the corner of Water and Pownal Streets from Samuel Cunard, of Halifax. This house is said to have been the first house in Charlottetown to have been lighted with gas.
Elizah and Ann Purdie lost two young daughters, Lydia, aged 9, and Sarah, age 4.
- Coundouly Rankin - a Major in H. M. 8th Regiment of Foot. He was a member of a new political society called the Loyal Electors in 1806, which exerted considerable force in the selection of members for the Assembly. He died in 1852, aged 77, and his daughters, Jessie M., aged 25, and Mary A. age 16, both died 19 Oct 1850.
- Col. John Ready - arrived here from England in 1824 to serve as Lt. Governor, a post he served for 7 years till he resigned. He was one of the Island's most popular Governors, for he was gentle and genial and arrived with no entrenched views on contraversial issues. This way, he was always able to steer an acceptable course. He visited all parts of the Island, and worked very hard to improve agriculture. While here, the Ready family lost their daughter, Susan in 1827 at the age of 18.
- Smith - Perhaps the Island's most unpopular Lt. Governor was His Excellency Charles Douglas Smith who became the Island's 4th Lt. Gov. in 1813, a post he served until 1824. He was hated as he was stubborn, undiplomatic, often rude, and he considered the local people with scorn. Things deteriorated to the point where the people requested that H. M. the King recall Smith, which was done in 1824.Smith's wife, Frances Carpenter, died at the age of 57, and was buried here. Her tombstone was erected by her 12 children. It appears that she did not return to England when her husband was recalled in 1824, and she lived until 182 [sic]. There is an apparent transcription error in the 1947 Cambridge transcription, since, according to it, she would have been born one year after Smith's recall.
- Smith, Jane (nee Smith) 1793-1856
Wife of Isaac Smith (1795-1871) who was a Carpenter, Architect and later in life a Methodist Lay Preacher. He was involved in the construction of many notable Charlottetown buildings including Province House, Fanningbank (the residence of the Lieutenant-Governor) and the Point Prim Lighthouse which still stand today
Smith was later remarried and is interred beside his second wife in Maitland, Nova Scotia. The Isaac Smith who is interred here is a son of Isaac and Jane
An excellent article on Isaac Smith and his career may be found in the Island Magazine (Fall/Winter 1985) entitled The Builder: Isaac Smith & Early Island Architecture.
- John Stewart, Esq. - of Mt. Stewart was a very colorful man, and at times, a very influential one. He was appointed Paymaster of H. M. Forces, and a Collector of Quit Rents. He is remembered for his account of P.E.I. He also was the founder of the community of Mount Stewart. Governor Patterson described him as "a very intemperate young man", and hence, he became known as "Hellfire Jack". His wife, Mary Ann died in 1832, age 46, and he in 1834, age 76.
John was a son of Chief Justice Peter Stewart, who died in "Rosebank" in November 1805, age 80. Peter had served in the capacity of Chief Justice for 25 years. Ironically, his grave is near that of his bitter opponent, Phillips Callbeck.
- Mary (Boggs) Tremaine - wife of Richard Tremaine, and daughter of Dr. James Boggs, of Halifax, died in 1860, age 81. Mary and husband Richard had children, Dr. Lawrence Tremaine, and Thomas Boggs Tremaine, who became a merchant. Benjamin Bremner, in "Memories of Long Ago", wrote that Thomas Boggs Tremaine had owned and operated the Southport Ferry, a side-wheel paddle boat run by a team of horses on a treadmill. He died in 1864, age 59, and his wife, Elizabeth Allen in 1858.
- Agnes Watts - wife of James Watts, died in 1842, aged 60. Her husband, James, lived until 1860 when he was 74. James was a native of Stirling, Scotland, and had the contract for the stone work at Province House.
- Charles Welsh, Esq. - died in October 1873, age 76. His son, Charles Thomas, died in 1870, age 36. His son, William, became an M. L. A., and was a partner in the firm Welsh and Owen, builders of several large commercial buildings.
- David Wilson - a Charlottetown merchant who lived in the "West End House", which was located where "Beaconsfield", the home of the Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation now stands. When James Peake bought the property, he offered the house for sale. It was moved to the east side of West Street, and is now known as number 18, according to Irene Rogers in "Charlottetown, its Life in its Buildings". David's wife, Grace, died in 1845, age 39, and their second son, David Wilson, in 1849, age 11. Their daughter, Mary Ellen died in 1830, aged 6 weeks.
- Hon. George Wright - was Surveyor General of the Island and was a member of H. M. Council for 28 years, and during 5 different periods administered the Government of this Island. He died in 1842, age 62. He was a son of Thomas Wright, who was with Samuel Holland when the first survey of this Island was made.
- Phoebe Wright - widow of Hon. George, was a daughter of the late John Cambridge. She died in 1851, age 71. Charles Wright was a brother of the Hon. George, and he was one of the surveyors asked to correct former surveys. In 1809, by an act of assembly, he established a meridianal line to regulate all future surveys. This line is shown by survey markers at Victoria Park. Charles died in 1868, age 51, but his son, also named Charles, built the house that today is known as the "Stamper Residence". He was a line agent for Lady Wood, a daughter of Lt. Gov. Fanning.
- Nathan Wright - Another well known name in early Charlottetown, and one of builders of Government House. He was a carpenter and house joiner, and was co-owner of the firm, Smith Brothers and Wright. Nathan died in 1862, age 81, and his baby son, Matthew died in
1858, age 2.
Biographies by Orlo Jones CG(C), 1997, 1999.
Continued on: Page 2, Prominent Burials in the Elm Ave. Cemetery.
Presented by the Prince Edward Island Genealogical Society, ©1999.
Queries Email - email@example.com
PEIGS - Home Page
Old Protestant Burying Grounds - Main Page
Last Modified: 4/5/2005 11:28:16 PM