Prince Albert, Battleford, Ranching, Old and New Settlers, Businesses, Lower Flat |
Thank you for stopping by # 60
Web Page title: page047.html
Web Page URL http://www.rootsweb.com/~cansk/McPhillips/
Home Page: Saskatchewan Gen Web
Copyright © Web Publish Date: Tuesday, 05-Apr-2011 23:10:48 MDT All Rights Reserved
|Red Deer Hill, Halcro, Carrot River, Clark's Crossing, Shell RiverBirch Hills, Fort A La Corne, Snake Plains, Cumberland
We encourage links to this page.
This 1888 McPhillips directory is a compilation of businesses and settlers of the territorial district of Saskatchewan of the North West Territories
The Province of Saskatchewan did not form until 1905 with its current boundaries.
The territorial district of Saskatchewan was the centrally located territorial district of what is now the province of Saskatchewan but only including the area between township 35 at the south and township 70 to the north. (or in terms of latitude, the 52nd parallel extending north to the 55th parallel) The district extended a short ways west into Alberta past the fourth meridian, and a short ways east into what is now regarded as the current province of Manitoba.
1888, historical, North West Territories, Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan district, directory, business, settlers, pioneers, ranches, settlements, McPhillips' directory, Historical sketches, Prince Albert, Battleford, NWT, N.W.T.
The province of Saskatchewan, on the other hand, is located between the U.S.A. Canada border along the 49th parallel (township 1) northwards past township 71 and on to the border between the North West Territories and Saskatchewan on the 60th parallel. Township 71 is the northern limit of arable farming land and the remaining northern part of Saskatchewan is not surveyed into townships.
history, past, times gone by, times past, olden times, antiquity, account, narration, record, story, chronicle, memoir, saga, description, annal, reference book, handbook, index, guide, key, table, colonist, pioneer, pilgrim, immigrant, early settler, incomer, homesteader, homestead, dominion land grant,
For example, Green Lake, mentioned in the 1888 McPhillips directory is at Township 61 one of the more northern communities. Saskatoon, township 36, was near the southern border of the territorial district.
livestock farmer, landowner, breeder, squire, planter, smallholder, prairies, plains, prairie province, Northwest Territory, alphabetical directory, business directory, Churches, Prince Albert, Battleford, Ranching, Old and New Settlers, Businesses, Lower Flat, Red Deer Hill, Halcro, Carrot River, Clark's Crossing, Shell River, Birch Hills, Fort A La Corne
Between 1876 and 1883, Battleford (township 43) was the capital of the North West Territories. Prince Albert (township 48) and Battleford were the largest centres of 1888.
See these Evolution of the N.W.T. maps; Boundaries 1882, Boundaries 1895 from the Atlas of Saskatchewan
Snake Plains, The Pas, Grand Rapids, Humboldt, Red Deer Lake, Green Lake, Nut Lake, Lac La Ronge, Birch River, The French Settlements, St. Laurent, Batoche, Fish Creek, St. Louis de Langevin, Duck Lake, Carlton, Bresaylor, Fort Pitt, Cold Lake, Frog Lake, Onion Lake, Churches
It is the intention of this site to make this directory of 1888 available to persons with a historical or genealogical interest in this area. There are no service charges or fees for use of these photographs, and use of this site constitutes your acceptance of these Conditions of Use. This website is dedicated to the free sharing of these photographs, place name and location historical data. Any further use of these photographs would require contacting the submitter, copyright holder, and webmaster: Julia Adamson
The Pas, Grand Rapids, Humboldt, Red Deer Lake, Green Lake, Nut Lake, Lac La Ronge, Birch River, The French Settlements, St. Laurent, Batoche, Fish Creek, St. Louis de Langevin, Duck Lake, Carlton, Bresaylor, Fort Pitt, Cold Lake, Frog Lake, Onion Lake, Churches, Dominion Land regulations, Homesteads