SALTCOATS, SASKATCHEWAN (THEN N.W.T.) SETTLERS (mortgage holder, some of his family and his
partner if any)
(On Oct. 1889,
settlers interviewed on house, stable, ploughing done, livestock, crops)
01. John MacAulay, wife and three
children aged 4, 3 and 1 (cousin John Murray)
02. Kenneth MacIver, wife, five sons aged 18, 10, 6, 4, 2 and two daughters aged 16 and
8. Son James MacIver now at the Rockies.
03. Donald Montgomery, wife, three
children aged 7, 3 and 1 (partner Duncan Martin)
04. Alexander Macdonald died June
of pneumonia in Winnipeg General Hospital. His wife Catherine Macdonald
assumed the responsibility of the mortgage given by her husband. Catherine
Macdonald (maiden name Matheson) had with her, a son Malcolm Alexander
Macdonald (by her first husband Malcolm Macdonald) and three daughters (by her
second husband Alexander Macdonald) named Isabella (Bella) Macdonald (age 8),
Christina (Tina) Macdonald (age 6) and Annie Macdonald (age 3). (Colin MacIver who
accompanied the family went to work in Portage-la-Prairie). Donald Montgomery (No.
3) and Norman MacRae (No. 8) are helping the widow.
05. Malcolm MacKay, wife, three sons one aged 18, Donald MacKay (age 16) and Neil
MacKay (age 14) and a daughter Martha (age 13). Malcolm MacKay has three more
sons Roderick MacKay and Angus MacKay both of No. 37 Saltcoats and John MacKay
of No. 4 in Killarney, Manitoba (married and has a 3 year old
child). Malcolm MacKay also has two more daughters (one married) in Killarney, Manitoba.
06. Donald Morrison, wife, two sons aged 13 and 6 and three daughters Annie Morrison
(age 19), age 9 and age 2.
07. Norman MacAulay, wife and two sons aged 2 and 1. (cousin
Alexander MacAulay now working at Portage-la-Prairie). (cousin
Annie MacKay working at Gladsone.
08. Norman MacRae, wife, son aged
6, and three daughters aged 11, 8, and 1. Donald
MacIver accompanied the family.
09. John MacAulay, wife, daughters
aged 6 and 3 and a son 9 months old.
10. Donald Macdonald, wife,
daughter Marion (adopted). (brother Ronald (Ranald?)
11. Charles Docherty, three sons
aged 18, 14 and 11 and two daughters Alexine Docherty
(age 19) and 9 years.
12. Alexander Macdonald, wife, four sons aged 14, 12, 4 and 2 and two daughters aged 10 and
13. Malcolm MacLeod, mother and
sister (cousin John MacLeod at Portage-la-Prairie.
14. Donald Graham, wife, two sons aged 8 and 6 and three daughters aged 10, 3 and 3
15. Angus Smith, wife (newly
married). (brother Roderick Smith in Regina, Sask.)
16. Alexander MacLean, wife, four
sons aged 18, Murdo MacLean (age 16), 14 and 10
17. John MacLean, wife Margaret and
son aged 16. (brother Angus MacLean went to Winnipeg) (cousin
John went to Portage-la-Prairie).
18. Duncan MacLeod (an old man),
wife and two sons Murdo MacLeod (age 20) and John MacLeod (age 14). Duncan
MacLeod has another son Donald MacLeod at No. 23 in Saltcoats.
19. Donald MacKay, wife, son aged
11 and two daughters Henrietta (Effie) MacKay (age 16)
and an 11 year old. (brother Norman MacKay away at work)
20. Kenneth Murray, wife (newly
married). (Partner Alexander Morrison working in Portage-la-Prairie)
21. Finlay MacLean, R.N.R., wife
and one child 3 months old. (brother-in-law Donald
MacLeod at work) (cousin Mary MacPhail at Portage-la Prairie)
22. Alexander Mitchell, wife and
two daughters 2 years and 6 months old and 6 months old. (Neil MacLeod want s a
section of his property)
23. Donald MacLeod, wife and two
24. Malcolm Macdonald, wife and two sons aged 2 years and 6 months. (sister-in-law Mary MacPhail
at Portage-la-Prairie- see No. 21 in
Saltcoats) (John MacRae at Portage-la Prairie)
25. Donald Macdonald, stonemason by
trade, wife and three children: son aged 3, daughter
aged 1 and an infant. (brother Murdoch Macdonald at
26. Angus MacKay, wife and four children.
27. Malcolm Macdonald went to Killarney, Manitoba.
28. Robert MacKay, wife, son aged 8 and three daughters aged 6, 4 and 2.
29. Alexander Murray, wife and two
sons Murdo Murray (age 18) working at the Rockies and Roderick Murray (age 14)
working at Basswood. (Donald Murray joined him from Killarney).
30. Alexander Morrison, wife and three daughters, aged 7, 3, and 1 Ĺ.
31. Donald Morrison, wife, two sons aged 13 and 8 and three daughters aged 15, 10 and
32. John MacKay, wife, son Malcolm
MacKay (age 22) and four daughters aged 27, 18, 12 and
12. Daughter Rachael MacKay at Portage la Prairie and sister Mary MacKay at home.
33. John MacKay, junior, wife, three sons aged 14, 10 and infant and four daughters Catherine
MacKay (age 16) and the others aged 10, 8 and 4. (brother
Kenneth MacKay is at Portage la Prairie and his family is
in Scotland being looked after by
friends). (Donald Murray went to Portage la Prairie)
34. John MacKay, senior (No. 33 and
No. 34 are treated as one group).
35. Peter Morrison, wife, sons aged
11, 9, 7 and 5 and a daughter aged 3.
36. Donald Macdonald, mother over
40 years old, brothers Alexander Macdonald (age 20),
John Macdonald (age 17) and sisters Christine Macdonald (age 15), Annie
Macdonald (age 13).
37. Roderick MacKay (father Malcolm
MacKay at No. 5 Saltcoats), wife, son aged 1 and two
daughters aged 5 and 3. (brother Angus MacKay went to
portage la Prairie). (Aunt, aged 58 years with family).
38. Murdo McSween, wife and partner
39. Ewen MacKay (weaver by trade),
wife, three sons aged 12, 11 and 5 and three daughters aged 15, 10 and 2.
40. Neil McSween, wife (brother
Tulloch McSween working at Medicine Hat, Alberta and his wife living at Neilís
house).† (Sister Annie McSween at home).
41. Murdo Macdonald, wife, three sons, aged 6, 4 and 2 (cousin Donald working at Arden).† (Cousin Katherine MacLeod went to Winnipeg but now at Killarney).
42. Alexander Young, wife, son aged
1 and three daughters aged 8, 2 and baby (cousin
Norman Morrison went to Portage La Prairie).†
(Jane Stewart who came out with the family went to B.C.)
43. Archie Ferguson, wife, son aged
7 and four daughters aged 15, 13, 7 and 4.† Daughter Mary Ferguson is at Moosomin.
44. Murdo MacIver, wife and three
daughters aged 4, 2Ĺ and 1Ĺ years (cousin Donald Graham at Portage La Prairie)
45. Neil MacIver, wife and two children, daughter of 3 and infant.† (Girl accompanied him and married Donald Murray).
46. John Macdonald (tailor by
and one child 2 years old (sister Barbara Macdonald was at Birtle) (a cousin
Donald works at Neepawa).
47. John MacIver (was 7 years at
the Hudsonís Bay Company at York factory), wife, son John
MacIver (age 23), Murdo MacIver (age 15) and a daughter Isabella MacIver (age
12).† Another son, Donald MacIver is with
MacLeod at Killarney.
48. Kenneth MacLeod, no
family.† Has two
partners, Donald Gillies.
49. Donald MacLeod,
came out with Donald MacIver, son of No. 47 in Saltcoats.
EARLY SCOTTISH PIONEERS IN SASKATCHEWAN
KILLARNEY, MANITOBA SETTLERS, 1889
Appendix: Norton, Wayne. Help Us to a Better Land: Crofter Colonies in the Canadian West.
Appendix: Saltcoats Settlers: The King Colony and The Lothian Colony
Appendix: Killarney Settlers: The Killarney Colony and The Argyle Colony
From: Bruce MacDonald
To† Sask Gen Web
Sat, 4 Mar 2006
Scottish Saskatchewan Genealogy Roots
Sask Gen Web