Saskatchewan One Room School Project


Saskatchewan One Room School Project provides an online history for current generations to enjoy, preserve, and experience, our historical educational, architectural, and cultural, heritage.
Gallery

  • Chatsworth SD 1810
  • Hohenlohe SD 2705
  • MacNutt SD 793
  • Zorn SD 3697
  • Landstrew SD 2698
  • Dressler SD 3732
  • Churchbridge SD 124
  • Rothbury SD 204
  • Goehring SD 910
  • Kensington Lake SD 1083
  • Flower Valley SD 1098

Townships 21,22,23,24 Ranges 30,31,32 West of the prime meridian
near Langenburg, Saltcoats, MacNutt, Churchbridge, Wroxton, Marchwell, Bredenbury, Landestrew, Logberg, Dovedale, Thingvalla, Pennock


An article printed in the Saskatchewan Weekly Newspaper, The Potashville Miner-Journal, "From Bert's Notebook" Place names, discusses the derivation of the names for schools in the Churchbridge / Langenburg area of Saskatchewan was submitted from the Esterhazy 1939 newspaper by Verna Brenner, which is intriguing and fascinating.

Web master note: Still awaiting permissions from the Saskatchewan Weekly Newspaper, The Miner-Journal and the family of Bert McKay for re-publication, a small paraphrasing of the article follows. The following page takes the derivation for the name from the article written by Bert McKay, and further verification of these facts have been found in several other sources as noted in the bibliography.

Before we begin with these selected eleven one room school district names, just a note about the historical naming process of the one room school districts in the province of Saskatchewan. John C. Charyk noted in "Syrup Pails and Gopher Tails" that the names of the school was left to the local residents in the community. "Today as a result of that policy, knowing how a school district derived its name often brings an insight into the very heart of local history and traditions."Charyk 1984 p. 12 The procdure of determining the name was set before all the community ratepayers requesting a suitable name. The school District organisers would hold a meeting, and of these names, the committe would submit a list of four or five names. The Department of Education set before the community the request for a list, as very often if only one name were submitted, it may be in use already at another school site. So the final choice for the school district name lay with the Department of Education.

At this same time, a school district number was allotted to the school district. The numbers began with Moose Jaw School District No. 1 of the North West Territories and kept incrementing to Bow Valley School District No. 1409, North West Territories. At this time, for provisional districts of the Northwest Territories were merged to form the twin provinces of Alberta, and Saskatchewan on September 1, 1905. The Department of Education then decided that to keep record keeping for the two provinces separate in these provincial fledgling years, the province of Alberta would continue numbering her schools from School District No. 1410 onwards, and new schools formed in the province of Saskatchewan would fill up the empty numbers between 1 and 1409 vacated by the province of Alberta and proceeding forward from there. And now to delve into the heritage of the naming of these school districts near Churchbridge and Langenburg, Saskatchewan.
  • Chatsworth S.D. No. 1810, (1907) was named after not a place, but a road in the Clapton subdivision of London, England. McKay points out that the school district secretary suggested the name after his previous residential street. Chatsworth road is a market road serving people in the area with a diverse selection of shops and restaurants, including, African, Turkish, Asian and Caribbean produce alongside butchers, bakers and greengrocers according to Wikipedia.

  • Hohenlohe S.D. NO. 2705, (1910) received its appellation from Count Hohenlohe-Langenburg. According to Alan Anderson, the Count Hohenlohe-Langenburg was invited to the west as part of the great immigration scheme by Canadian immigration authorities. The Count, as president of the German Colonial Association was instrumental in encouraging large colonies, notably Colony Hohenlohe which later received the name Langenburg.

  • MacNutt S.D. No. 793, (1912) is next on the list. John Hawkes echoes the sentiments of Bert Mckay, writing of the Honourable Thomas MacNutt, that he was a farmer and stock raiser in the Saltcoats area, and also turned his attentions to the political arena serving the Saltcoats constituency as both Member of the Legislative Assembly and Member of Parliament. MacNutt is renowned for being the first Speaker of the Saskatchewan Legislature.

  • Zorn S.D. No. 3697, (1916) received its calling from Phillip Zorn, a school district administrator actively promoting school district organisation during the formative year, 1916. From the Western Land Grants Records, it can be seen that Fillipp Zorn was successful at proving up a homestead land grant on the Northwest quarter of section 34 township 23 range 30 West of the 1st Meridian.

  • Landestrew S.D. No. 2698, (1916) was named after Landestreu, Galicia by the immigrant Galician German settlers who arrived in this new land. According to Manfred Prokop, Professor of German (emeritus), Modern Languages and Cultural Studies they established the large colony named Hoffnungstal near Langenburg and Landstrew in the late 1800s. The Landestrew post office opened in 1892, the school not until 1916.

  • Dressler S.D. No. 3732, (1916) located on the north east quarter of section 5, township 23, range 31, west of the first meridian was located amidst the Dressler homesteaders. Daniel DRESSLER and Anna BUSCH arrived to the Langenburg area about 1890. Daniel began proving up the land on the south east quarter of section 18 of the same township mentioned above. They had ten children and their sons Frederick, Andrew, John also homesteaded the area. Daniel DRESSLER immigrated with four siblings from Galicia, and this area was home to a number of DRESSLER homesteads. According to LAC Western Land Grants, Section 5 was Canadian Pacific Railway Land. A portion of this land was donated by Frederick DRESSLER to the community on which to build the Dressler Schoolhouse reported Bill Barry.

  • Churchbridge S.D. No. 124, (1887) honours the Anglican Church Colonization Land Company administered by Mr. Church and Reverend Bridges, who purchased land for settlement in the township 22 range 32, west of the 1st meridian. In Ruth Swanson's compilation, The first hundred years : around Churchbridge, 1880-1980, settlers also remember a Mr. Eden belonging to this English Colonization Company as well, and a preliminary name being Edenbridge which was changed to Churchbridge due to a conflict with Edenbridge, Manitoba.

  • Rothbury S.D. No. 204 (1891) recognizes the town of Rothbury in Northumberland, England. Robert Athey suggested the title at a school district meeting. The land around the Rothbury school district is characterized by rolling and open prairie. Rothbury, Northumberland is nestled within the Simonside and Cheviot Hills.

  • Goehring S.D. 910, (1903) has as its namesake an early trustee, Ludwig Goehring a school district trustee. Goehring successfully proved up on three quarter sections in the area.

  • Kensington Lake S.D. No. 1083, (1904) assumed its name from the nearby physical feature, Kensington Lake. McKay mentions that Kensington Lake, in turn, assumed its name from E.D. Kensington who farmed near the lake.

  • Flower Valley S.D. No. 1098, (1904) derived its name from the German word "Blummenthal" which translated means Flower Valley. McKay points out that George Haas suggested the German term, and Niel McFadyen put forward the English translation. Mrs. Louise (George) Haas recalls that the school district was situated upon the old Pelly Trail


Webmaster note: The newspaper article recorded Chatsworth S.D. as number 1771, however other sources provide the school with the name of Homeland as School District No. 1771, and Chatsworth School District as No. 1810. The spelling was provided as Landstrew S.D. 2698 in the newspaper article, however other sources gave it as Landestrew S.D. No. 3698, And Budweis School District received the S.D. number of 2698. If anyone else has further information or clarification on any of these schools, school districts or Bert McKay, it would be a pleasure to add the same notes as provided. Kind Regards Julia Adamson.


Chatsworth SD 1810, Hohenlohe SD 2705, MacNutt SD 793, Zorn SD 3697, Landstrew SD 2698, Dressler SD 3732, Churchbridge SD 124, Rothbury SD 204, Goehring SD 910, Kensington Lake SD 1083, Flower Valley SD 1098, , Flower Valley SD 1098 Tsp 21,22,23,24 Range 30,31,32 West of the prime meridian near Langenburg, Saltcoats, MacNutt, Churchbridge, Wroxton, Marchwell, Bredenbury, Landestrew, Logberg, Dovedale, Thingvalla, Pennock


School Districts of the article: Locations from the Alphabetical School Listing
School District Name School District Number Quarter Section Township Range Meridian Date Neighbouring Placename
               
CHATSWORTH School District #1810 SE Sec 25 Tsp 24 Rge 1 W of the 2 Meridian 1907 Saltcoats
               
CHURCHBRIDGE School District # 124   Sec Tsp 22 Rge 32,33 W of the 1 Meridian 1887 Churchbridge
               
DRESSLER School District # 3732 NE Sec 5 Tsp 23 Rge 31 W of the 1 Meridian 1916 Langenburg
               
FLOWER VALLEY School District # 1098 NE Sec 2 Tsp 23 Rge 30 W of the 1 Meridian 1904 Marchwell *
               
GOEHRING School District # 910 NE Sec 35 Tsp 22 Rge 31 W of the 1 Meridian 1903 Langenburg
               
HOHENLOHE School District # 2075   Sec 11 Tsp 22 Rge 31 W of the 1 Meridian 1910 Langenburg
               
KENSINGTON LAKE School District # 1083   Sec Tsp 22-23 Rge 31
Rge 1
W of the Prime Meridian
W of the 2nd Meridian
1904 Bredenbury
Kensington Lake Schoolhouse location unknown, the school district location is taken from the map above.
               
LANDESTREW School District # 2698 NW Sec 19 Tsp 23 Rge 30 W of the 1 Meridian 1916 MacNutt
               
MacNUTT School District # 793   Sec Tsp 24 Rge 30 W of the 1 Meridian 1912 MacNutt
               
ROTHBURY PUBLIC, THE School District # 204 SW Sec 27 Tsp 24 Rge 32 W of the 1 Meridian 1981 Wroxton * / Churchbridge
               
ZORN School District #3697 NW Sec 26 Tsp 23 Rge 30 W of the 1 Meridian 1916- MacNutt
               


Locations of Neighbouring Placnames 77 63 84
Bredenbury N Section 35 Township 22 Range 1 West of the 2nd Meridian
Churchbridge N Section 17 Township 22 Range 32 West of the Prime Meridian
Dovedale SW Section 12 Township 21 Range 33 West of the Prime Meridian
Landestrew SW Section 20 Township 23 Range 30 West of the Prime Meridian
Langenburg NE Section 27 Township 21 Range 31 West of the Prime Meridian
Logberg SE Section 32 Township 24 Range 31 West of the Prime Meridian
MacNutt SW Section 22 Township 24 Range 30 West of the Prime Meridian
Marchwell NW Section 10 Township 21 Range 30 West of the Prime Meridian
Pennock SW Section 6 Township 24 Range 32 West of the Prime Meridian
Saltcoats W Section 1 Township 24 Range 2 West of the 2nd Meridian
Thingvalla SE Section 6 Township 23 Range 31 West of the Prime Meridian
Wroxton NW Section 3 Township 26 Range 31 West of the Prime Meridian


Bert McKay

“A healthy social life is found only, when in the mirror of each soul the whole community finds its reflection, and when in the whole community the virtue of each one is living” Rudolf Steiner


Publishing a story in The Miner-Journal, Placenames, Bert McKay delves into the tale of the origins of eleven school districts of Saskatchewan in his column "From Bert's Notebook" in the year 1939. Bert McKay, was very active in the publishing realm, being "editor and publisher of the Moosomin World-Spectator, The Wapella Post, Esterhazy Miner, Langenburg Journal and Maryfield News." McKay served also as the president of the Prairie Publishers Co-operative in 1962.

"A newspaper is the center of a community, it's one of the tent poles of the community, and that's not going to be replaced by Web sites and blogs." Michael Connelly


It was in August of 1971, that McKay of Moosomin, president of McKay Publications, merged the Langenburg Journal with the Esterhazy Miner to develop a weekly newspaper known as the Potashville Miner serving Esterhazy, Langenburg and Churchbridge areas of Saskatchewan. Although The Esterhazy Miner had been sold in 1965, it had been acquired again by McKay publishing for the merger. It is interesting to note that the Esterhazy Miner began publication in 1907 under the name of the Esterhazy and Pheasant Hills Observer under Arthur Ford. It was under Bert McKay's ownership in 1952, that the name of the weekly newspaper was changed from the Esterhazy Observer to the Esterhazy Miner.

"A world community can only exist with world communication, which means something more than extensive software facilities scattered about he globe. It means common understanding, a common tradition, common idea's and common ideals." Robert M. Hutchins


McKay was the publisher of the Langenburg Journal since 1956, and in 1960 took over publication of the Wapella Post operating out of Moosomin, SK. The Moosomin World-Spectator, The Esterhazy Miner, The Wapella Post, The Langenburg Journal and The Maryfield News were weekly newspapers published by McKay Publications. In 1972, Mr. and Mrs. McKay sold The Moosomin World-Spectator to John C. Meen of Moosomin, the previous editor. McKay had been part owner of the Moosomin World-Spectator since 1936, and became the sole owner five years later. As well, The Potashville Miner-Journal was sold to Robert (Bob) Koskie of Fleming Saskatchewan.

It was in the Jubilee year, 1955. that Phil Flude of the Indian Head News and Bert McKay attested to being the province's oldest newspaper. Both newspapers began publication in October of 1884. The Moosomin weekly newspaper first started publication in 1884, making it the oldest provincial newspaper in continuous publication.

"To me, the newspaper business was a way to learn about life and how things worked in the real world and how people spoke. You learn all the skills - you learn to listen, you learn to take notes - everything you use later as a novelist was valuable training in the newspaper world." Carl Hiaasen


The private library collection of McKay was consulted by Kenneth Bagnell when researching The Little Immigrants: The Orphans Who Came To Canada.Besides being consulted, McKay, in his own right, authored books himself; Tennyson at Moosomin 1883-1899 reached the book shelves in 1976; History of Moosomin United (Methodist) Church, 1889-1929, c1975; The "Peanut" Reston-Wolseley C. P. R., 1906-1961 in 1976 Moosomin and the Mounted: A History of the Force at Moosomin 1882 to 1973 was published in 1974 researching through archival materials at the provincial archives, as well as the newspapers of McKay Publications.

McKay, active in community work was also president of the citizen's organization, Keep Our Doctors, ; secretary Moosomin Agricultural Society; secretary of the Moosomin-Pipestone Lake Resort authority and director of the Saskatchewan Chamber of Commerce. McKay pointed out that the KOD committee was acting as a support group for information and inquiries regarding the dispute between the province and doctors regarding the proposed compulsory medical care plan of 1962. McKay felt that, "in a measure we have lost the battle," as physicians were seeking practice outside of the province. McKay, was a proud supporter of the potash industry, Saskatchewan communities and local needs. In 1973 McKay was present at the dedication ceremony for the Rocanville 23 foot high oil can by the Chamber of Commerce who paid tribute to Ernie Symon's efforts as "Rocanville's Oil King."

"A good newspaper, I suppose, is a nation talking to itself". Arthur Miller


The community newspapers represent the lifeblood of the community. McKay was known for saying that one may find flyers in the garbage pail, but not the community newspaper which was relevant, and always read.

"We cannot seek achievement for ourselves and forget about progress and prosperity for our community... Our ambitions must be broad enough to include the aspirations and needs of others, for their sakes and for our own." Cesar Chavez


Bibliography:

Adamson, Julia. Saskatchewan Gen Web Project. Saskatchewan and Its People. by John Hawkes. Vol. III. 1924. Hon. Thomas MacNutt. 2003. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Anderson, Alan. German Settlements. Canadian Plains Research Center. University of Regina. 2006. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Anderson, Alan. Scottish Settlements. Canadian Plains Research Center. University of Regina. 2006. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Annual Report 2006 Paper and pixels. Newspapers Canada (pdf) Canadian Community Newspaper Association In 1973 Bert McKay was recognized as CCNA honourary life member Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Bagnell, Kenneth. The Little Immigrants: The Orphans Who Came to Canada.Edition 7, illustrated. Dundurn. 2001. Digitised online by Google Books. ISBN 1550023705, 9781550023701 page 228. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Barry, Bill. Dressler No. 3732. Geographic Names of Saskatchewan. People Places Publishing Ltd. Regina, Saskatchewan. 2005. ISBN 1-897020-19-2. page 119. Canadian Community Newspapers Association. 2002: the year of achievement. Annual Report Newspapers Canada 2003 (pdf) In 1973 Bert McKay was recognized as CCNA honourary life member Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Charyk, John. Syrup Pails and Gopher Tails. Memories of the One-Room School. Western Producer Prairie Books. Saskatoon, SK. ISBN 0-88833-115-0. 1984. Pages 12,18.

Charyk, John C. The Little White Schoolhouse. Volume 1. Western Producer Prairie Books. Western Producer Prairie Books. Saskatoon, SK. ISBN 0-919306-08-X. 1977. Page 14.

Citizens group to keep going. The Leader-Post. July 26, 1962. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Dilschneider, Donna. Veteran newspapermen are made honorary life members of the SWNA ~ as weekly newspaper convention winds up. The Leader-Post. August 4, 1958. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Doig, Noel. Chapter 9 excerpt The Public and The Plan. Setting the Record Straight. A Doctor's Memoir of the 1962 Medicare Crisis The Star Phoenix Indie Ink Publishing.

East, Lois. 1911 Census of Canada @ Automated Genealogy Home / 1911 / Saskatchewan / Saltcoats / 21 Townships 23 / page 20. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Esterhazy Miner sold to Hogarth. Saskatoon Star Phoenix. October 7, 1965. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Gallop, Ralph. Weekly Wapella Post folds after publishing 70 years. The Leader-Post. December 30, 1969. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Hope Star 05-July 1962 Page 3 Newspapers.com

It happened in the province. McKay and Flude involved in feud.. The Leader-Post. May 21, 1955. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan. March 8, 1996.

Longman, Harold.
The Leader Post January 20, 1962. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

McKay, Bert. "From Bert's Notebook" Place names Saskatchewan Weekly Newspaper, The Potashville Miner-Journal. 1939.

Newsmen seek change in labor legislation. The Leader-Post. August 23, 1946. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Riddell, Walt. Gleanings from the weeklies The Phoenix. August 11, 1971. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Pipestone Dam provides southeast vacationland The Leader-Post. April 25, 1955. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Prokop, Manfred. Professor of German (emeritus), Modern Languages and Cultural Studies. The Germans from Galicia. January 1, 2009. University of Alberta. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Results "goehring"-Western Land Grants (1870-1930) - Library and Archives Canaada. Results "zorn"-Western Land Grants (1870-1930) - Library and Archives Canaada. Results "5" and "23" and "31" and "W1" -Western Land Grants (1870-1930) - Library and Archives Canaada. LAC > Exploration and Settlement > Western Land Grants (1870-1930). 2007-09-28. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Rothbury Tourist Information | Visit Northumberland Northumberland tourist council. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Sawkey, John. Adams, Carl. Zorn S.D. 3697 ~ Naming of Zorn District. page 270. Haas, Louise. A History of the Flower Valley District. page 203. Those Were the Days: The History of MacNutt, Calder, Dropmore, and the surrounding districts, 'pioneer to present'. Digitised online by Our Roots / Nos Racines. University of Calgary, Université Laval. 2006. pages 286, 289. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

School addition opened. The Leader-Post. February 6, 1970. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Swanson, Ruth, and Churchbridge History Committee. Nephew Fred. Frederick Jordon Basken. page 65. Garbe, Fred. W.H. Adams Family. page 66. Laidlaw, Andrew. Rothbury District from 1890 page 254. The first hundred years : around Churchbridge, 1880-1980 Digitised online by Our Roots / Nos Racines. 2006 University of Calgary, Université Laval. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

The Dressler Family Ancestry Project by Desarae Adele P on Prezi 2013. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

The Glenbow Museum Archives CPR Land Sales Date accessed February 14, 2013.

The Symons Oiler ZoomInfo Cached Page. Welcome to Rocanville - The Oil Can Capital of the World www.rocanvilletown.ca, 8 July 2002 [cached] Rocanville>Attractions>World's Largest Oil Can Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Weekly papers change hands The Leader-Post. January 3, 1972. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Western Weekly Editors Attend Convention. Cardston News. Cardston, Alberta. September 26, 1946. Digitised online by Southern Alberta Newspaper Collection. Date accessed February 14, 2013. In the center photo is depicted Mr. and Mrs. Bert McKay seated in a dining car receiving advice from the Canadian Pacific Railway steward during the Canadian Weekly Newspaper Association conference held on board the train.

Wilson is Moosomin Proxy The Billboard, The World's Foremost Amusement Weekly. December 13, 1947. ISSN 0006-2510 Published by Nielsen Business Media, Inc. page 49. Digitised online by Google Books. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Wind of Change in Saskatchewan. Saving the Doctors. Canadian Press. Ottawa Citizen. June 11, 1962. Page 7. Digitised online by Google Books. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Weekly under new ownership at Esterhazy. The Leader-Post. October 5, 1965. Digitised online by Google News Archive. Date accessed February 14, 2013.

Source of the maps: School Maps



Previous | Gallery | Next


Gallery

Thank you for stopping by # 631
Web Page title: index.html
URL: /~cansk/school/Brenner/index.html
Copyright © Web Publish Date: Thursday, 04-Apr-2013 13:15:40 MDT All Rights Reserved
Saskatchewan One Room School House Project
Yorkton Gen Web Region
Schools, yearbooks and information submitted by Verna Brenner
E-mail Webmaster ... Important Notice - Submitter

Bibliography:
1. From: Verna Brenner
To:Julia Adamson ORSH webmaster Subject: Re: one-room schoolhouses
Date January 20, 2013