Divide, Saskatchewan School House and Teacherage Photos & Info located in the old townsite of Divide, Saskatchewan and was closed in 1961
Map segment used with permission from 1924 Rand McNally Railway map
There is no sign left on these buildings which shows in the photographs. Even though there is a school named Divide located near Reliance, these buildings were in the townsite of Divide.
Divide Post office located at Sec.15, Twp.2, R.24, W3 and operated for Divide between 1914-03-01 and 1963-11-18. Bill Barry noted that the divide of the townsite may have referred to the boundary between the U.S. and Canada which is eight miles south. The local history book notes a creek on a nearby homesteaders land which marks the the drainage basin divide, but that occurs closer to the Divide SD near Reliance to the north. Near this location of the Divide townsite are three school houses according to the alphabetical school listing so far compiled....
SOUTH SLOPE School District # 3549 Sec Tsp 2 Rge 24 W of the 3 Meridian near Divide
MILDRED School District # 3778 Sec Tsp 2 Rge 24 W of the 3 Meridian near Divide
BENITA School District # 4674 Sec Tsp 2 Rge 24 W of the 3 Meridian near Divide
DIVIDE School District # 2894 is located north of this location Sec Tsp 5 Rge 11 W of the 3 Meridian near Reliance. Bill Barry feels that the Divide school was named after the divie between the Frenchman River and Swift Current Creek. Reliance P.O. nearby, opened first as Recklaw at Sec.32, Twp.4, R.10, W3 - 1913-05-01. Reliance Post office closed in 1968-09-30. Map is attached in image selections.
Title Geographic names of Saskatchewan
Author Bill Barry
Published Regina, Sask. : People Places Pub., c2005
"The information in this book has been extracted from People Places:
The Historical Gazetteer of Saskatchewan, the author's data base."--p.4
Bibliog. Includes bibliographical references (p. 475)
ISBN 1897010192 (pbk.)