STONY PLAIN School District # 4044 Sec Tsp 5 Rge 16 W of the 3 Meridian Bracken
HARRISLAND School District # 3659 Sec Tsp 4 Rge 16 W of the 3 Meridian Bracken
The story begins...
Florence Jean Tallman Ryder was born in Bracken, Saskatchewan in 1929. Her birth name was Tallman, but she grew up using the name of her foster parents, Charles and Susanna Rodman. Since almost no one who went to school with her would know her as Tallman, but was known to one and all as Florence Rodman.
Stony Plains school was on the northern edge of Township 4, Range 16 - north of Bracken.
Florence started school at Stony Plains when she was about seven - probably around April 1937. Her first teacher was Miss Greenlee; she was followed by Mr. Rogers. Her fellow students were brothers Jack, Albert and Bill Lester, brothers Jack, Bill and Gordon Shanks, and Lorne Peel. Mom was the youngest.
Marj Shanks and two of Lorne's older sisters attended Stony Plains before Florence's time there.
Stony Plains school closed a couple of years after Florence started school there - maybe around June 1940. Lorne Peel finished his correspondence courses, and the Shanks family moved to Rolling Hills, Alberta, leaving too few students to keep the school in operation. (Apparently they needed a minimum of six.) Mr. Rogers and the four remaining students were reassigned to Harrisland School, on the southern edge of township 4. The government paid Jack Lester to drive them to their new school in a wagon or covered sleigh.
After about a year, the Lester family also moved to Rolling Hills, and Florence started riding to school.
These photos of Harrisland School are from Florence Tallman Ryder, known as Florence Rodman, who attended Harrisland from around 1940 to June 1945.
Submitted by Faye Ryder and her mother Florence Tallman Ryder - known as Florence Rodman.
Cypress Sheet right Section of the One Room Schoolhouse Maps
STONY PLAIN School District # 4044 not shown was located north of the HARRISLAND School District # 3659 which is shown on this map.
Bracken Tsp 3 Range 16 W3 From Waghorn's railway guide 1941
Bracken post office was located at SE Sec.4, Twp.3, R.16 and also at Sec.21, Twp.2, R.16, W3.
Between 1917-1924 the post office name was Edmund.77
Waldville shown on the 1941 Waghorn's guide railway map was located at Sec.31, Twp.3, R.17, W3 as of 1911-08-01 and later was re-located nearby at Sec.1, Twp.4, R.18, W3.
Canuck which is mentioned on both the school district map as well as the Railway guide map was first located at Sec.35, Twp.2, R.17, W3 in 1911-09-01 and later re-located to NW Sec.10, Twp.3, R.17, W3 and to Sec.33, Twp.2, R.17, W3