Los Encinos Rancho
a Historical Monument, Los
originated before 1800 in a trade of 4460 acres of land from the priests
at the San Fernando Mission to Francisco Reyes in exchange for his land
nearer the Mission. Evidently he mistreated his Native American workers
and the Governor of California, Pio Pico, granted the Rancho to three
of the workers named Ramon, Francisco and Roque. But because of deaths
and other problems such as non payment of taxes, Don Vincent de la Osa
acquired title to the land in 1851. He is credited with building the nine-
room adobe. It was a popular rest place or roadhouse along the highway
called El Camino Real (now called Ventura Boulevard).
The building was in fairly good shape until the 1994 earthquake, which destroyed and damaged many buildings in in the San Fernando Valley.
These photos show the restored adobe itself, another ranch building which was used as a blacksmith shop, and the house built in 1872 by a French Basque sheepman, Eugene Garnier. It was a replica of his home in France. He also walled in the spring and the pond to make it in the shape of a Spanish guitar.
The buildings and five acres of land now belong to the California State Department of Parks and Recreation. The Garnier House has displays and antique items showing the historic past of the old rancho.The address is 16756 Moorpark Street, Encino.
Mission San Fernando / Los Encinos
Rancho / Andres Pico Adobe / Bolton Hall
Society Home Page / Programs / Publications/ Historical Sites