First Families & Pioneer Families of Tulare Township Program
Last updated 10 Sep 2007
If your family history
can be traced back to Tracy's early days, TAGS is looking for you. We
are seeking to honor those who are direct descendants of Tracy's first
residents as part of our First Families and Pioneer Families programs.
We offer free assistance to help you prove your relationship to a First
Family or Pioneer Family.
of First Families and Pioneer Families of Tulare Township will receive:
- Certificate suitable for framing
- Your name and Tulare Township ancestor on First Families / Pioneer Families plaque on display in TAGS library
- Documented proof for future generations
Contact us for more information. You can print the necessary forms here:
GUIDELINES FOR SUBMITTING A FIRST FAMILY APPLICATION
ELIGIBILITY: The applicant should be a direct descendant from an ancestor who settled
in Tulare Township. There are two categories of certificates; FIRST
FAMILIES, which settled within the township by 1885; and PIONEER FAMILIES
which settled within the township by 1900. The applicant must be able
to prove descent from the ancestor (male or female) by an official record
or records for each generation, including proof for the applicant. TAGS
membership is not necessary.
INSTRUCTIONS: The Tulare Township (TT) application consists of 2 pages. Page 1 asks for information about the applicant
and the TT ancestor; page 2 is the line of descent chart. Please complete
both to the best of your ability. If you have more than one TT ancestor,
a separate application is required for each. Only one ancestor will
be inscribed on a certificate, except when the ancestor and spouse both
are proven to qualify.
must be based on credible genealogical research. For a list and explanation
of suggested primary and secondary sources, see “Specific Sources
of Proof”. Only blood line descent is acceptable.
If your application is based
on a previously approved application (such as a parent, sibling, grandparent,
aunt, cousin, etc.) it is not necessary to resubmit documentation for
overlapping generations. You need only to send proof of descent for
generations needed to link you to the previously approved applicant.
It is still necessary to fully complete the TT application and line
of descent chart for ALL applications. Incomplete applications will
not be accepted.
Applicants are required
to submit proof of descent for each generation and proof of residence.
Additional material is strongly encouraged, such as family group sheets,
biographies, newspaper articles, photos of people, homes, and tombstones,
and other material that may be of interest to future researchers.
SUBMITTED MATERIALS: All applications and documentation become the property of the Tracy
Area Genealogical Society and will be retained in the custody of the
TAGS Library collection. No original documents should be sent. Send
a photocopy or other facsimile of pertinent materials.
Eligibility shall be determined
by a committee appointed by TAGS. The committee’s decision shall
be final. Incorrect or incomplete applications will be returned for
corrections and additions, and the applicant will be encouraged to resubmit.
- Certified copies are not required.
- Always use maiden name of mother.
- Copies of original records is encouraged but not required. Give exact source citations.
- Published abstracts and transcripts are acceptable; include copy of title page.
- Land or tax records are acceptable only if they specify that the individual was a resident of Tulare Township, San Joaquin County, California, since many early landowners and speculators never lived in Tulare Township.
- Circumstantial evidence WILL NOT be accepted as proof unless supported by primary or secondary evidence.
- Oral, written, or published family traditions may be in error and CANNOT be accepted as documentation.
- Printed or manuscript genealogies, genealogical records or compilations, family group sheets and charts, family reunion records and similar material are not considered proof. Unsupported information from an amateur or a professional genealogist is not acceptable, including such records printed in any genealogical, historical or similar publications.
- Reminder: A statement is not necessarily true just because it’s
BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING IN THE FIRST FAMILIES PROGRAM
- Your acceptance into FIRST FAMILIES OF TULARE TOWNSHIP or PIONEER FAMILIES
OF TULARE TOWNSHIP is a symbol of honor to your ancestors that were founders
in this community.
- Be proud
of your line and continue to learn everything possible about your family
of yesteryear and speak of their achievements to all who will listen and
learn from them. By taking the step to participate in this certificate
program you are telling the world you honor your family and your Ancestor
by inducting him or her into the ANCESTOR ROLL OF HONOR.
- You will
be in contact with others whose family lines shared in the hardships and
achievements for building this community.
- You will
also be in contact with long-lost cousins who share the same family history
- You will
have access to genealogical information you can use and pass on to others.
There is no substitute for the feeling of helping someone achieve what
they are seeking.
- You have
complete control on what information you would like released on your family
and to whom. We encourage our participants to publish or if you prefer
to post on web sites that you feel will be of interest to other genealogical
a beautiful certificate suitable for framing
- Your ancestor’s name and your name will be commemorated on a First Families/Pioneer plaque
on display permanently in the Tracy Area Genealogical Society library.
copies of all additional family information found during the certification
- An excellent
way to archive your family information in a public repository for future