Search billions of records on

Early Obits From
The Midway Driller
Bakersfield Californian
Fellows Oil Driller
Taft Courier
Maricopa Oil News
1900 - 1920

Compiled by Larry Lyon later by Ann Lingo researcher.

Kills Himself in Drunken Frenzy
Suicide in San Luis Obispo, County
Old Billy Glenn, Often in Trouble with Police Here, Ends His Life.

Word was received here late last night of the suicide of Billy Glenn in San Luis Obispo County, over twenty miles west of McKittrick.

Glen was a laboring man who made frequent visits to Bakersfield, and who was often in trouble with the police, on account of his bibulous habits. He was last brought before Justice Black two weeks ago on a charge of drunkenness. Upon his promise to go to McKittrick and find work he was released.

It was in a drunken frenzy that he took his life yesterday, with a large butcher knife. He first threatened to kill several comrades, and later plunged the knife into his throat and abdomen. His death did not occur until several hours after he had stabbed himself.

Coroner McGinn was notified of the death, but could not go to take charge of the case, as the trouble occurred outside of the county. The San Luis coroner will investigate.

This Obituary was in the Bakersfield Californian 1907
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Midway Driller - Saturday - April 9, 1910
W. B. Young
Died - April 7, 1910

W. B. Young died in Boust City on Thursday evening, death being due to pulmonary tuberculosis. He had been in a critical condition for the past few months. The deceased was a tank maker by trade. He was a native of Jennings, Louisana, aged 40 years. The body was prepared for shipment by Undertaker William Brooks and taken to Bakersfield for interment.

Midway Driller - Saturday - April 16, 1910
John Camp
Died - April 14, 1910

John Camp, a young man employed as a tool dresser by the Monte Cristo Oil Comany near Maricopa, was kill on Thursday afternoon. His clothing caught in the cable drum and he was whirled around and thrown against the floor, crushing his life out instantly.

The unfortunate young man was twenty years of age. The body was taken care of by the American Mutual Hospital Association of which he was a member, and shipped yesterday to his parents at their home in Oklahoma for burial.

Francisco Ortega
Died - April 25, 1910

A Mexican section hand name Francisco Ortega was fatally injured in a brawl at a Sunset house of ill-fame near Maricopa on Sunday night. He died the next morning.

The homicide was tardily reported to the county officials, and not until Thursday was an investigation made by the coroner. At the inquest the stories of the witnesses varied, but it appears that Ortega and two other Mexicans tried to get into the house earlier in the evening. Admission was refused them. Later five men from the Eagle Saloon in Boust City went there. The Mexicans returned and started trouble by throwing bottles and rocks. Soon a fight was on. Ortega had his skull fractured with a heavy club, and was taken away by his companions. The next day he died.

Sheriff Kelly came here Thursday and took the five men into custody. Ther names are: Jack Kelly, Fredericks, Newberry, Wilson and Webster. The coroner's jury's verdict was that they were responsible for Ortega's death.

There is tape across some of this which blacked out some of the words so bear with me.
CASE DISMISSED - MEN ACCUSED OF ORTEGA KILLING DISCHARGED The preliminary examination of the men held for the killing of Francisco Ortega at a house of ill-fame near Maricopa about three weeks ago resulted in the discharge of the accused men. The following account of the examination is taken from the Bakersfield Californian:
Bob Patton was the only witness found who could throw even a ray of light upon the killing of Francisco Ortega at sunset, when the case came up yesterday for a preliminary hearing before Judge Marion in East Bakersfield at 4:00 o'clock.

Patton, who was produced by constable___________ saw part of the fight between the party of Mexicans on one side and white men on the other at a road ________ but _________ be no positive idenity deputy district attorney __________ the inquiry for ________________ the mass of contridictory __________ and vagaries it is impossible to elicit enough information to substantiate a charge of murder, and discharged the five prisoners. Jack Kelly, Bert Weston, E. Wallace, R. Williams, and Bert Fredrickson, who had been in the county jail about two weeks. It appeared that the Mexicans and white men had all been drinking heavily, and each party wanted possession of the house at which the conflict occured. Patton saw the Mexicans fighting the white men with knives, and three or four of the white men succeeded in "cutting out" one Mexican from the party and they beat this man up with a board. Whether the one thus beaten was Ortega, it was impossible to show. The evidence tended to show that the parties to the conflict were equally culpable.

Midway Driller May 7, 1910
Miss Naomi Leona Worthen
December 30, 1875 - May 2, 1910

After an illness extending over the past two years, Miss Naomi L. Worthen passed away on Monday morning. The deceased came here with her mother six months ago in hopes that this climate would be beneficial.

She was a native of Vermont, aged 34 years and 3 months, and was a cousin of A. B. Cudney. The family home was at Linden, Washington, where Miss Worthen was a teacher in the schools. The body was prepared for shipment by Undertaker Brooke, and on Monday Mrs. Worthen started on her sad journey to accompany her daughter's remains home.

Midway Driller May 14, 1910
Mrs. Julia Goldberg
1866 - May 8, 1910
ENDED HER LIFE - Deserted by Husband, Woman Shoots Herself

Driven to desperation and despondency by the desertion of a man whom she claimed was her husband and who left her for another woman, Mrs. Julia Goldberg ended her life of sorrow on Sunday morning. At an early hour she went to a vacant lot on North Street, west of Sixth, where she fired a bullet into her right temple. An hour or so later, about 5 o'clock, her body was found. She was fully dressed, excepting a hat and had lain on the ground on her right elbow. With her right hand she placed the muzzle of a pistol against her head and pulled the trigger. Her body was in the position when found.

Coroner McGinn was notified, and he came here the same day and held an inquest. The coroner's jury found that the deceased was a native of Hungary, aged 44 years, and that she came to her death through a gunshot wound inflicted by herself. Undertaker Morton of Bakersfield took charge of the remains, which were afterward interred in the county cemetery at Bakersfield.

That the case was suicide is beyond doubt. Mrs. Goldberg had told friends that she intended to end her life as soon as she had seen her husband legally punished for his treatment of her. She promised that she would not do so until Goldberg had been sent to jail. It is supposed that brooding over her trouble and her money being about gone induced her to commit the desperate act before she had inteded to.

The unfortunate woman came here about 4 weeks ago and caused the arrest of Goldberg for bigamy. Goldberg is in the county jail awaiting preliminary examination of the bigamy charge. When told of the suicide he said he was glad of it; that she had made him nothing but trouble, and now he would be free to return to his poor wife at Taft who is supporting herself while he is in jail. Goldberg denied that the woman ever was his wife, and said he didn't care what was done with the remains.

While Mrs. Goldberg was to have been the main witness for the people in the Goldberg prosecution, her death will not put a stop to the case. His preliminary examination was to have been held Wednesday, but was continued until the 24th inst., to enable evidence to be secured from the east.

A Hebrew who used to live in St. Louis called at the jail and asked to be allowed to see Goldberg says the Bakersfield Californian. He did not wish to talk with him but he wanted to identify him. When he came away from the cell he told a story which corroborated Mrs. Goldberg's own story in every particular. Goldberg, he said married Mrs. Golberg when she had a prosperous restaurant business in St. Louis. The caller, who works in Bakersfield now, was a customer at the restaurant. Goldberg went to Chicago and got into a diffculty over bank checks. Mrs.Goldberg had to put up $900.00 to get him out of the trouble, and the expense of a compromise ate a big hole in the competence. In the course of time the man got more and more money from her until she was impoverished. This caller at the jail said the Goldbergs were married by a Jewish rabbi, and he was present at the ceremony. Mrs. Goldberg had already told Constable Cheney, Under Sheriff Baker and a others that this was the case.

Eddie Lisalda
June 1893 - January 1865 - May 8, 1910
This was a really bad copy folded in places so if there are blanks in it, please realize that this was the best I could do!

Robert Edward Lisalda, a bell boy _______ieia rooming house at Bakersfeild, was ____ ____ly shot and killed early Sunday morning. He was going down a hall to awaken a lodger, when three shots were fired into his body, killing him instantly. Who the assassin was and why he shot the boy has not been learned.

George W. Eddy
April 29, 1911

Skull Crushed by high fall while Standing Pipe.

George W. Eddy. A driller for F.T.& O met a sudden death Thursday by falling from a derrick near Maricopa.

He was on the crossboard standing the pipe that was being pulled on the well. In some manner he lost his footing and plunged head foremost sixty feet to the derrick floor. There was nothing to break his fall and he was instantly killed. His head was terribly mashed.

The body was taken care of by the Maricopa undertaker and Coroner McGinn was notified. The Coroner and jury found that the death was accidental.

The deceased was 28 years of age and a native of New York He was well known among the Oil Men.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Midway Driller November 6, 1911
George Bogle

Taft November 6. While endeavoring to stop his team from running away Sunday about 12 o'clock. George Bogle, employed by the K. D. Kidweller Transfer Company, was thrown under the wheel of the big truck and almost instantly killed. Bogle was hauling heavy pipe to the sub-station of the San Joaquin Light and Power Company. At the sixth street crossing of the railroad tracks his horses became frightened at the popping of a safety valve on one of the switch engines. In their fright they swerved to one side throwing Bogle from his seat, he was struck on the tongue of the wagon between the frightened animals. From there he was thrown under their feet and rendered unconscious by a kick. Both wheels of the wagon passed over his chest. Through it all in his semiconscious condition clung to the reins. He was dragged nearly thirty feet before he relenquished his hold.

J. G. McDonald of the Taft Gas Company saw the accident and ran to the aid of the injured man. Taking Bogle in his auto he rushed him to the American Hospital. He expired a few minutes after his arrival there.

I saw the whole accident said McDonald and must say Bogle was exceedling plucky in hanging to the reins. When I heard the safety valve on the engine pop I notice the team turn sharply to one side and Bogle fell from his seat alighting on the pole between the horses. He then appeared to be down under the horse's feet after which he rolled under the wheels and was run over by both of them. All this time he held on to the reins and was dragged probably thirty feet before he relinquished the hold. I with several others rushed to his aid and hurried him to the hospital.

Bogle was one of the Transfer Company's most Trustworthy employees and was held in the highest esteem by all, who knew him. He leaves a wife and four small children to mourn his death.

The remains were taken in charge by O.L. Goilchett.
Coroner McGinn went to Taft this morning to hold an inquest.

The jury returned a verdict that death was due to a runaway accident caused by the popping of a safety valve on a Southern Pacific Company engine. The jury composed of. E. S. Rose. W. Sacundus, A.C. Sately, B. Smith, S. Thorne and F. E. Cline.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

November 11, 1911
Bakersfield Californian

Driver Crushed By Loaded Truck

GA Bogle Loses life When Team is Frighten by Engine.

George A. Bogle, a driver employed on E. D. Kidweller's drays, was killed in an accident at the railroad crossing at second street on Sunday morning.

Bogle was driving a truck, loaded with pipe, to the S. J. L. & P. substation. He was just about to drive over the crossing the team was scared by the escape of steam from the safety valve of the freight engine. The engine was standing at the crossing, and when the valve "blew off" the horses wheeled, the tongue of the truck striking a telephone pole. Bogle was thrown from his seat and fell between the horses. The animals stepped on him and as they started to run two wheels of the heavy truck passed over his body.

Bogle was hurried to the American Hospital, but died before reaching there. He was unconscious from the time the truck ran over him. Several of his ribs were broken and internal injuries caused his death.

An Inquest was held Monday by Coroner W. A. McGinn. The verdict was in accordance with the above facts. S. Rose, W Facundus, A. C. Fately, V. Smith, F. Thorn and T. E. Cline composed the jury.

Bogle was a native of Missouri, aged 31 years. He was an industrious young man and his death is much regretted. His death is particularly sad in that he leaves a young wife and four small Children. The oldest is 7 and the youngest an infant.

The remains were prepared for shipment by Undertaker Golchett and taken to Bakersfield and on Tuesday were interred in the Union Cemetery there.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Midway Driller March 4 1913

John W Rogers


John W. Rogers died yesterday at the Taft Sanitarium following an attack of pneumonia.

The deceased had been a resident of Taft, for the past four years and conducted a transfer business in a small way during that time. He was a native of the south and was a confederate veteran of the Civil War. For thirty years he lived at what was formally Fort Miller, in Fresno county came here from there. He was 68 years of age. His only surviving relative is a son who is in the American Navy in The Philippines.

The funeral will be held tomorrow from the Taft Undertaking Parlor. Services will be conducted by Rev. F. P.Morgan at 10:30 a.m. Internment will be in Midway Cemetery.

The funeral arrangements were made by G. W. Williams, a friend of the deceased.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6 September 1913

E. J. Boust and W. Wilson

Two Taft Men in a Fatal Wreck Friday
E. J. Boust and W. Wilson Truck by Train near Bakersfield. Wilson dies during the day.

An auto in which E. J. Boust and W. Wilson of Taft was riding was struck and entirely demolished by the Santa Fe train running out to the West Side Friday morning at 8:15. Both the occupants were thrown from the wrecked machine and received serious injured from which they may be permanently disabled.

The accident happened when Boust and Wilson were going to Bakersfield in Boust new Studebaker auto, at the four mile crossing on the Kern Island road. The auto was making about 35 miles an hour and no notice of the train until within a few feet of the track. When Mr. Boust, who was driving, saw the train so close he turned the machine to run up the railroad right of way, but was too late and the collision resulted. The auto was thrown 25 feet, and it is said that both passengers were thrown twice that far. A telephone message to Bakersfield brought an ambulance to the scene and the men were taken to the San Joaquin Hospital. An inspection of their injuries disclosed that Boust's right leg was broken in two places and his left leg was broken just below the knee. He was badly bursed about the body and it is feared injured internally. Mr. Wilson was injured about the body and had one leg broken at the ankle.

The machine in which they were riding was a new one and had only been driven 95 miles. A report stated from Bakersfield Friday night.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6 September 1913

Wates A Engleke

Maricopa Oil News


Wates A. Engleke, a Garage owner of Taft, eloped Tuesday with 18 year-old daughter of J.R. Causey of Union Oil Co. of this city and was married in Bakersfield in the afternoon. The wedding took place against the wishes of the brides father, who had forbidden it, and the girl managed to elude him and meet the prospected bridegroom in Maricopa and together they fled to Bakersfield in the grooms auto and secured the license and were married by the Justice of the Peace.

The bride-to-be sent her suit case with what clothing she would need to Maricopa with a grocery solicitor, who called at the Union lease in the morning and secured a ride to town later. She then telephoned to Engleke at Taft and he came over in his Automobile and a quick trip was made to the county seat. Engleke formerly was employed on the Union lease and it was while working there he meet Eunice.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 18, 1913

Wm Brooks - Undertaker


Undertaker Wm. Brookes of Taft of the Midway Cemetery, has this week been improving the burial grounds situated on the side of the hill in South Taft by constructing a number of cement post in an obelisk style to surround it and then connecting the post with three strands of Cable, the finished fence presenting very neat and attractive appearance. Mr. Brooke has had charge of the cemetery since its beginning two years ago and thinks it has proved a blessing to those who, were it not established, would have had to bury there loved ones in Bakersfield or other far-a-way places.

This last improvement is a great stride forward, and when a sufficient supply of water is secured, which will probably be done in the near future, the cemetery will be planted to trees and flowers and will be one of the main beauty spots of the valley - Fellows Courier
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday December 6 1913

Blond Indians

One of the mysteries of Mexico is presented by the Maya Indians who inhabit the Sierra Madre Mountains in the lower part of Sonora. They have fair skins, blue eyes, and light hair. Students of ethnology have always been puzzled to account for them, these Indians are the descendants of the crew and passengers of a Swedish vessel wrecked on the Mexican Coast centuries before Columbus discovered the New World. But this tradition is founded on nothing more substantial than a folklore tale current among them that their ancestors came over the big salt water hundreds of moons ago.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

6 September 1913

September 6, 1913

HARRY WEBBER, an employee for the Thachery's Café and Dance hall in Boust's City was shot and killed last night by Chas. Lane, a cook who had been discharged from the place in the morning, Lane had been drinking all-day and just before the murder strolled into the dance hall. Soon as he saw Webber he opened fired, the first shot striking Webber in the face. After he fell, Lane stood over him and fired three more bullets into his body.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

April 18, 1915
Daily Midway Driller
Exploding Dynamite Caps Bring Death to Popular Midway Driller Employee
Herman Steiner

Dynamite caps filled with fulminate of mercury, yesterday caused the death of 16 year old Herman Steiner, son of Mr. & Mrs. A. Steiner, great gaping holes being torn in his back and limbs by the poweful explosive.

Herman, with Harry Black, in a hunt for jack rabbits near the Bedrock camp of the Union Oil Company, came across the caps in a little building which Black claims looked like a small chicken coop.

Being filled with the American spirit of making noise they fired a number of the caps by the use of a fuse. Later while near the big dump in South Taft, they built a fire. It was while playing around the blaze that Herman desired to celebrate, he throwing a number of the caps into the flames. Immediately on throwing the caps he turned to run, knowing that the explosive in the caps would go off immediately with it being brought in contact with the fire. With the caps in the flames exploding, the concussion caused a number of others in the boys pocket to go off, they tearing away the flesh to the hip bone. Herman was thrown to the ground by the shock and was unable to rise because of his badly torn condition. Seeing his plight, Harry Black, his playmate, ran to the home of C.M. Harp, where he told Mr. Harp, Elmer Stokes and Mrs. Sadie Swartz of the accident. They ran to the rescue of Steiner while young Black started for the office of Dr. Key. Fortunately the doctor was found immediately, he taking the boy to the General Hospital. A despreate endeavor was made to save his life, Dr. Key and his special nurse, Miss Katherine Spann, working over him for 3 hours. They were compelled to cut away great chunks of flesh and in sewing up the many wounds took more than a hundred stitches. Their efforts, however, were of no avail, the little fellow passing away at 9:00 o'clock.

Herman, or "Heiney" as he was better known to his many friends, was one of Taft's most energetic boys. For the past two years he has been employed by the MIDWAY DRILLER, he having a desire to learn the business from the ground up. In his apprenticeship he had learned the type cases and was becoming excedingly efficient in the many minor lines.

While throughout the city there is extreme sorrow over the result of the accident, it is so more felt than among the members of the DRILLER force, it is every member at the all times standing ready to aim him in his learning the business of his ambition to rise in the ranks of the profession.

Mr. & Mrs. Steiner, parents of the boy, are stricken with sorrow over the accident, he being the only son of a family of five.

As yet no inquest has been held, Coronor Arch Dixon being detained in Bakersfield. The funeral is to be held Wednesday afternoon from the Methodist Church, Rev. Luther A. Rice officiating. The remains are now in charge of William Brook of the Taft Undertaking Company.

Donated by Neice: Esther Dopyera Livingston
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

November 25, 1916

Glen Roy December 10, 1914 - November 24, 1916
Myrtle Virginia April 1, 1916 - November 24, 1916

The most heartrending affair that has happened in the section within the history of the oldest inhabitant occurred at 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon on the Miocene lease near Maricopa. Its horrifying details, are of the kind that brewing sorrow in the hearts of all.

Yesterday afternoon Mrs. Roy Callahan, whose husband is a worker on the Miocene lease, left her two babies in her home while she went a few yards distant to see her husband. During her absence a sudden gas pressure on the pipes supplying the home brought about a supposed extra blaze causing a fire which soon consumed the building and the babies.

Every effort was made to save the little ones by those who hastened to the seen, but all were unavailing, and the flames demanded their toll.

Willing neighbors were at hand and gave what consolation relief was in their power, but the deed had been done. The Grief stricken mother was later taken to the home of relatives at Fellows where she will remain until recovered from the tremendous shock.

William Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Company was summoned. He was the first to enter and disturb the remains of the little cremated ones. The smaller babe was in its iron and wood crib, the wood burned and the little bones a bunch of charred clay. The older was found near a window where it had evidently gone seeking a place to get out. The Undertaker gathered the blackened and charred fragments and brought them to Taft.

Arrangements for the funeral have not been announced.

The Callahans came to the Miocene lease from Antelope Valley about a month ago and during their short residence ingratiated themselves into the good graces of all whom they encountered. In this horrifying tragedy the mother and the father have the real heartfelt sympathy of the entire community of the West Side.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

January 20, 1917
Harry Messimer

Members of Taft lodge F. & A. M. have taken charge of the funeral arrangements for the interment of the remains of Harry Messimer of the Standard Oil Company. The funeral service will be held Tuesday afternoon at 1:30 o'clock in Odd Fellows Hall. F. W. Messimer of Basin, Wyoming, a brother of the deceased, is expected to arrive in Taft tomorrow morning.

February 4, 1917
Thomas Harris

Thomas C. Harris one of the pioneers of the field was almost instantly killed Saturday night a 6:40 o'clock when his Maxwell car backed over the grade at the Standard 26 camp, crushing out his life over bank.

Mr. Harris, who was employed by the Standard Oil Company as a carpenter at the section 26 camp, had motored to Taft following the evening meal that he might make a few purchases. On returning home it was necessary for him to climb the heavy grade on the lease road. Indications are that he killed the engine and his brakes did not work. His car was thus allowed to run backward. Apparently he lost control of the machine and in the darkness missed the road. The car turned over several times crushing Harris about the chest. Inflicting internal injuries, which caused his death within a few minutes.

Saw the Accident
W. D. Miller, pumper for the Associated on section 26, was the only eye witness to the accident. He had left the Associated cookhouse as Harris was climbing the grade. The lights on the car driven by Harris were noted by Miller to suddenly stop moving. An instant later they moved backward with the car disappearing over the grade. He immediately got an electric search light and ran to the scene of the wreck. Harris was found within a few feet of the car badly cut and bruised. He was breathing heavily and groaning. Miller called O. E. Conway, W. A. Dodd, E. Weed, and E. J. Young who were working on a nearby rig for the Standard Oil Company. They carried Harris up the hill with one of the men running to a telephone. Dr. J. Walker Key was called from Taft but arrived too late. Death had preceded him.

The remains were taken in charge by William Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Company. A daughter of Mr. Harris, the only known relative and the members of the carpenters union were immediately notified. W. B. Finley of the carpenters took charge of the arrangements.

Coroner Arch Dixon held an inquest on the remains this morning at 11 o'clock the verdict being that death came from accidental means.

The funeral will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock a service to be held in the Taft Undertaking Company Chapel. Internment is to be in the carpenter's plot in the Midway Cemetery
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3 April 1917
Mrs. Earl Elliott
Despondent Women Ends Her Life

Hanging herself to the door frame of her house at Maricopa, Mrs. Earl Elliott committed suicide last evening. Her body was found by her husband when he returned to work. A note was left by the unfortunate woman in which she said. "Don't blame anyone but myself."

Earl Elliott is a draftsman employed by the General Petroleum company. He has been with the company for the past three months.

There were no children and no reason has been advanced for her rash act. Funeral arrangements have not been made as yet

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3 April 1917
B.B. Morris
Victim of Accident Passes in Hospital

B. B. Morris, inspector of the Kern County Highway who was severely injured in an automobile accident between Taft and Los Angeles a few weeks ago died in a Los Angeles hospital yesterday. He leaves a mother. His body will be shipped east for burial

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

3 April 1917
Bert Church
Bert Church, A Maricopa Bartender, cut the throat of Grace Wilcox and then severed his jugular and windpipe at Maricopa last night. The woman may recover. Church died in a few minutes. The tragedy occurred at the Palace Hotel in a room occupied by the couple.

Church and the woman had been living as man and wife. The woman was about to leave him, and in a fit of jealousy Church determined to end the lives of both.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

April 16,1917
W.M. Mason

W. M. Mason 73 years of age, died yesterday at his home in South Taft. A Coroner's inquest will be held late this afternoon.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

April 16 1917
Daily Midway Driller
G.W. Eberle

G. W. Eberle, Owner of the Little Gam Restaurant on Main Street, Taft was shot and killed Saturday night at 8 o'clock by Tex Cunningham, an oil worker employed by Standard Oil Company.

Accounts of the tragedy differ slightly, but from all the stories that have been heard the following has been compiled:

Eberle and his wife were in the restaurant just before the time of the shooting. Eberle had stepped out for a minute in the rear. Cunningham came in and asked Mrs. Eberle for a hamburger steak. She asked him if he wanted it raw, for a dog. This angered Cunningham, who told her no, that he might be somewhat of a dog but that he wanted the steak rare for himself. She started to make it up for him when Eberle came in and took the steak from her and put it on the stove. When it was served by him to Cunningham the latter became abusive and told Eberle that he (Eberle) could not make Cunningham eat it. And also added several profane words. Eberle came out from behind the counter and made as if to slap Cunningham, he latter drew his gun a 32 special Colt's and fired at Eberle the bullet hitting him in the left hand. Eberle then ran behind the counter and opened a drawer where he kept a revolver a small .32. Cunningham kept shooting, three bullets missing and the final one hitting Eberle in the neck and plowing its way to the spinal column. This was the wound the resulted in his death. Drs. E. A. D. Jones and F. F. Page were called but nothing could be done as the jugular vein was severed.

Immediately after the shooting Cunningham walked outside and surrendered himself and his gun to A. J. Scott, who in turn gave Cunningham over to constable Turner and Marshall Milligin. Who placed him in the city jail.

A story is current to the effect that Eberle earlier in the day had bad argument with two men. Johnny Haley and "Sailor Jack" and had driven them out of his place at the point of his gun.
Eberle has been a resident of Taft for the past three month with his wife. He formerly worked in Bakersfield and Los Angeles. Cunnigham has lived in Taft for several years. Corner Arch Dixon came to Taft yesterday afternoon and held an inquest over the remains at the parlors of the Taft Undertaking Company. A coroner's jury was sworn in consisting of H. C. Shultz, C. C. Brown, D. R. Hanhart, D. A. Knowles, J. C. Gaupp, E. A. Fouquay and A. D. Bruce. After listening to the testimony adduced the jury brought in a verdict that the deceased came to his death through a gunshot wound inflicted by a bullet fired from a revolver by one Tex Cunningham, with murderous intent.

The first witnesses called were Doctors F. F Page and E. A. D. Jones. They Testified as to the cause of the death, it being a bullet wound in the neck that had broken the spinal column.

A. I. Scott was then called to testified to Cunningham having surrendered to him immediately after the shooting and having given up his (Cunningham's) gun to him.

H. O. Schettenham, of Fellows, a stage driver, told having seen Mrs. Eberla fighting with Cunningham at the door of the restaurant immediately after the shooting.

K. W. Jones, an oil worker who as in Scotts at the time, saw the struggle between Cunningham and Mrs. Eberle in the front of the restaurant and said to Cunningham "Don't shoot the women."

J. L. Mercier, a Cigar merchant on Fourth Street had loaned the small revolver found by the body of Eberle two weeks ago. After a burglary in Scotts saloon. He knew Eberle 12 years ago in Santa Rosa.

Sailor Jack (J. L. Morrow) a driller, L. B. Carter, an oil worker, and John Haley an oil worker, told of some trouble between Eberle and Morrow that afternoon, when Eberle had drawn a revolver. And chased Morrow away from his place.

L. Heskett, a cook who had been employed by Eberle to go to work this morning, told of being in the restaurant when the trouble started and leaving at once. About the steak that Cunningham had ordered Heskett said that Eberle told Cunningham he would eat it or he would make him eat it.

Constable Turner and Marshal Miligin told of having placed Cunningham in jail after Scott had turned him over.

None of the witness thought that Cunningham was drunk that night. But the he had been drinking during the day.

Mrs. Eberle was then called. She said her husband was 48 years of age and a native of California. They had run, Little Gem restaurant for a month and a half. She was back of the partition when Cunningham came in and her husband was in Scott's. Cunningham, said to her when she came out that he wanted a hamburger. A few minutes later her husband came in and took over the order, serving it to Cunningham. The latter, after a few words with Eberle about how it was cooked, said, according to Mrs. Eberle. "You -- -- --, you make me eat it." Where upon Eberle reached over the counter and made as if to slap Cunningham on the face. Cunningham pulled his gun and shot three times, the third bullet taking Eberle on his left wrist. Eberle then reached for his gun in the cash drawer and pulled it out. Aiming it at Cunningham. Mrs. Eberle ran between the two men, trying to push Cunningham outside. He kept backing out and shot twice more the second bullet hitting Eberle in the neck and killing him. Eberle had tried, she believed, to shoot his gun; but the hammer was on an empty chamber.

Mrs. Eberle kept after Cunningham and drove him up as far as Scotts saloon, where he went inside and surrendered himself to Mr. Scott.

Cunningham has been taken to Bakersfield and Lodged in the county jail by Sheriff Boone Newell with a charge of murder against him.

Clarence B. Conlin, chief deputy district attorney, was in Taft, Saturday night and investigated the matter.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

April 18, 1917
G.W. Eberle

The funeral of G. W. Eberle, who was killed last Saturday night by Tex Cunningham, was held yesterday from the parlors of the Taft Undertaking Company. Rev McCrea of Maricopa officiated and internment was at the Midway Cemetery. Mr. McCrea and Mrs. S. E. Burk sang "Nearer, My God to Thee" and "Rock of Ages".

G. W. Eberle b. 22 Jan 1869.
d. 15 March 1917 lot 313 sec 2 Midway Cemetery
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

April 24,1917
William Mason

An inquest over the remains of William Mason who was found dead in his cabin opposite the Taft Undertaking Parlors, South Taft, was held yesterday afternoon, the verdict being death from heart failure.

Funeral services were held at 10 o'clock this afternoon in the Methodist Church, Rev. Snell officiating, with interment in Midway Cemetery. Deceased left several children, two sons being engaged in carpentering in Taft.

He is buried in lot 331 section 2.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

April 27, 1917
Arnita Mililani

Paid Last Respects to Loveable Child.

In surroundings of pure white, emblematic of the innocence and purity of little Arnita Mililani, the last rites to be extended a loved one took place yesterday afternoon in the Taft Undertaking Parlors. For several weeks the popular little one had been lingering between two lives and public concern was keenly alive hoping for recovery. But the one who gave took away leaving father, mother, sisters and playmates to mourn her departure into the sweetness and joys of the other world.

The Rebekahs, who ministered to the comforts of the grieving and distracted love ones, conducted the services. Four members of the charitable order clad in pure white, were pallbearers. The whited casket was covered with the most beautiful of flowers and their aroma was as sweet and fragrant and lovable as was the little body they covered.

Rev. E. P. Shier of the Presbyterian Church extended to the grieving ones words of comfort and cheer and encouragement in the belief that some day they would be permitted to again commune in a brighter and a better world with the baby girl that was about to be consigned to the dust from which she came. They were consoling words and touched the hearts of the hearers as they had not been touched before. Bringing tears of grief to the eyes of many who had not wept for years.

When the cortege winded its way to the cemetery it formed the largest procession ever seen in Taft that desired to pay its last tribute to a child.

Arnita was the youngest of five children of City Marshal and Mrs. Ed Mililani, and was 4 years of age. She had been sick for a month with measles, which terminated in pneumonia, and despite all that medical science and the best of care could do. The spirit fled the suffering and emaciated body on Wednesday morning to go to Him who gave.

In their bereavement the family has the heartfelt sympathy of the people of Taft and the West Side.

Midway Cemetery lot 326 section 2
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


Monday AUGUST 27, 1917
John Axman
Midway Driller

John Axman of the American Oilfields Company met injuries in a most unusual accident at 7 o'clock Sunday night which resulted in his death less that an hour later.

Axman was riding on the rear of a motorcycle driven by George Miller of Taft and was headed for this city. At the turn in the road just west of the recreation hall of the C.C.M.O. company at Vernette, the motorcycle skidded throwing Axman from his unsteady seat, he landing directly in front of the Overland Country Club roadster owned by and driven by E. A. Mee of Taft

Mee claims to have made a desperate endeavor to stop his car but with only a few feet leeway Axman was run over by the front wheels of Mee`s machine.

Riding with Mr. Mee was Mrs. Mee and Mr. and Mrs. G. Gibson. They on seeing that Axman was seriously injured, rushed him to the hospital of Dr. Johnson at Fellows. On an examination being made it was found that Axman was suffering with internal injuries probably caused a fractured rib puncturing his left lung. Death came in less than an hour after arrival at the hospital

Axman was a former member of the Taft Loyal Order of the Moose and is a member of the Maricopa Nest of Eagles.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

AUGUST 28 1917
John Axman

At the inquest held over the remains of John Axman in the Taft Undertaking Parlors yesterday afternoon by Deputy Coroner Flickinger, a verdict of death by falling from a motorcycle and being run over by an automobile accidentally was returned.

I n this verdict the coroner completely exonerated E. A. Mee driver of the automobile and George Mealer driver of the motorcycle on which Axman was riding tandem when the accident happened.

Mealer, E. A. Mee and Harry D. Newland were examined by the coroner that the facts might be ascertained. Newland a disinterested party was walking along the highway from the American oil fields camp and was but a few feet away when the accident happened. He gave particulars which in every way coincided with those given by Mealer and Mee and showed that the accident was entirely accidental in every way.

The remains of Axman are being prepared for internment in Union Cemetery at Bakersfield by William Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Company.

After checking with the Union Cemetery and other certificates John Axman is buried in the Midway Cemetery was buried 28 August in plot 306 section 2 John was born in Austria.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

31 August 1917
Mrs. Frank Boyd

Mrs. Frank Boyd was killed last night about 11 o'clock on the highway between Taft and Bakersfield opposite the Standard tank farm when her automobile turned over, breaking her skull and crushing her chest.

Mrs. Boyd was riding with Mrs. Stone. Mr. Boyd, Mr. Stone and E. J. Harick were riding in another car just ahead of them, all being on their way to Western Water company station No 1 near Lake Buena Vista. Mrs. Stone, who was driving attempted to pass the other car in front and one wheel got off the highway in the soft dirt. The car skidded across the highway, hit the soft dirt on the other side and turned over. Mrs. Boyd never regained consciousness, dying after being brought back to Taft.

Dr. J. Walter Key was called but she was fatally injured and he could do nothing. Mrs. Stone was badly brused but not seriously injured.

The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors in charge of William Brooke.

Mrs. Boyd had lived in Taft for several years and has a host of friends who will mourn her untimely death.

Arraignments for her funeral have not as yet been made.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

10 September 1917

A man who is supposeed to be named Young, an oil worker, died of heart failure. He was taken sick on the street in front of the Fox Hotel and was taken to the general hospital by Officer Pyles. Dr. P. F. Page was called but in spite of all his efforts the man passed away in an hour after being taken to the hospital.

The remains were taken in charge by William Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Parlors.

Young had worked for several oil companies in the field in the past few months. He was about 35 years old. There are no known relatives.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Lucy Landwehr
11 Sept 1917

Untimely Death of Popular young Taft Girl: Had lived here For a Long Time.

Miss Lucy Landwehr

Died yesterday afternoon at the sanitarium in San Luis Obispo. The passing of Miss Landwehr will sadden everyone in Taft where she resided for the past seven years or since Taft was founded as a city. Her cheerful and bright personality will be missed in the social set in which she frequented and by her friends and acquaintances in all walks of life.

Several months ago Miss Landwehr was taken ill and went to San Luis Obispo where she was in the sanitarium until the time of death. For a while it seemed as if she would recover but the past few days saw her gradually sink to her last sleep.

One of the saddest things about her untimely death was the fact she was engaged to Henry Conrad. Bookkeeper in the Taft Furniture and Hardware company. Mr. Conrad and Mrs. Annie Landwehr, her mother and Mrs. Fred Landwehr were present when Miss Landwehr passed away.

For the past seven years Miss Landwehr was the chief operator at the office of the Kern Mutual Telephone Company in Taft. She is survived by her father and mother. Mr. and Mrs. William Landwehr, two brothers Fred and Frank Landwehr and one sister, Mrs. W. L. Adkisson.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

12 September 1917

Funereal Tomorrow for Miss Landwehr

The funeral services for Miss Landwehr, who died Monday at San Luis Obispo, will be held tomorrow (Thursday) morning in Odd Fellows Hall. Friends and acquaintances are respectfully invited to attend.

The remains arrived in Taft on the noon train today and were taken in charge by Wm. Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Parlors until the services tomorrow.

Rev. Kuessner of the Lutheran Church in Bakersfield, will officiate. He has known Miss Landwehr all her life. Having officiated at her Christening.

After the services in Odd Fellows hall the remains will be taken to Bakersfield for internment in Union Cemetery.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

11 October 1917
Angus Stewart
Old Time Taftain Has Passed Away

Angus Stewart, an employee of the San Joaquin Light and Power Corporation in Taft for the past five years, died this morning at 5:30. Mr. Stewart had been a suffer from asthma for several years. He was storekeeper for the company and had a large circle of friends and acquaintances in then fields who will mourn his departure.

Angus Stewart was a native of Scotland and 45 years of age. He was not married and is survived by several relatives in the east who have been notified of his death. The remains are in charge of Wm. Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Parlors, awaiting word from the family as to disposal.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Altha Donawho
13 October 1917
Little one Buried.

The funeral of Altha Donawho aged 1 year 3 months, infant daughter of Mr. and Mrs. R. W. Donawho of twenty-five hill took place this morning at Brooke Undertaking Parlors in South Taft. The service was conducted by Rev. Snell. A quartet of four little girls acted as pall bearers; the remains were buried in the Midway Cemetery Plot 300 section 2. Altha was born in Texas.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

17 October 1917
Nancy Ewing

The funeral service for the late Nancy Ewing took place yesterday at Brooke Undertaking Parlors. The services were conducted by Father Donaloo.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mrs. McDonald
10 November 1917
Mrs. McDonald Dies Quite Suddenly

Mrs. McDonald aged 70, Mother of Joe McDonald and Mrs. Lotto Thomas of this city died suddenly at her home in Taft, Saturday morning. The body was in charge of William Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Company.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Steve Norton
5 December 1917
Norton Funeral

The funeral service of Steve Norton, who passed away yesterday morning, will be held tomorrow afternoon at 2 o'clock at the chapel of Taft Undertaking Company. Rev Don S. Ford of the Methodist Church is to officiate. Internment will be in Midway Cemetery. William Brooke company is in charge of the remains.
Plot 302 section 2
b. 17 Sept 1846
d. 3 Dec. 1917
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mrs. Percy Snook
13 December 1917
Mrs. Percy Snook Dies in Maricopa

Mrs. Percy Snook, aged 22 years died in Maricopa yesterday. She leaves a husband and one child 2 years old.

Funeral arrangements will be made later.

The funeral will be held at 10 a.m. Saturday morning from the William Brooke Parlors in Taft.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Jan 22, 1918
Frederick Perkins

Frederick Perkins, superintendent of the Perkins Oil Company died early this morning at his home near Maricopa, the direct cause of his death being heart trouble. The body was taken in charge by Wm. Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Parlors and will be held here pending word from a brother in the east as to funeral arrnagments. Perkins was 59 years of age. He was well known on the West Side where he has been connected with the oil industry for some time.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

March 4, 1918
Francis Donnelly

Francis Loniae Donnelly, 3 year old daughter of Richard G. Donnelly and wife of Maze Lease died of pneumonia yesterday. The funeral service will be held Wednesday morning from Wm Brooke Undertaking Parlors. Mr. and Mrs. Donnelly and daughter Frances have just arrived from Oklahoma and were visiting Mrs. Donnelly's parents on the Maze lease at Fellows.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mrs. Frankie Carroll
Mrs. Carroll Dies
Tuesday - March 26, 1918

Mrs. Frankie Carroll, wife of John W. Carroll, died this morning at her home on Twenty-Five Hill just south of this city. Carroll is now somewhere in Texas and an effort is being made to locate him. Until such time as Carroll is heard from no arrangements will be made for the funeral.

Ed Pipe
Ed Pipe Dies in Taft This Morning
Died April 17, 1918

Ed Pipe, of San Emidio Street was found dead in bed this morning by neighbors who had gone to his house to take him his breakfast. Pipe had been ill for some days and unable to look after interests connected with his chicken ranch.

The remains were taken in charge by William Brooke of the Taft Undertaking Company. As yet no funeral arrangements have been made.

Lucas Frank Brite
Funeral Services For L. F. Brite
August 13, 1859 - April 29, 1918

With all county business suspended, with the courts adjourned as a token of respect, and in the presence of a large concourse of sorrowing friends from every section of the county, all that was mortal of the late Supervisor L. F. Brite, was laid to rest in Union Cemetery yesterday afternoon at Bakersfield, following impressive services at Payne & O'Meara's Chapel.

Despite the plea of relatives that there be no elaborate floral offerings at this time, friends would not be denied, and the chapel was filled with flowers. They were banked around the casket and covered every available bit of floor space; among the notable pieces being those from the fellow officials of the pioneer, from the supervisiors, from the assessor's office, from friends at Mojave and from friends at Tehachapi.

Rev. E. R. Fuller, conducted the funeral service, and in his brief address he paid fitting tribute to the life work of the deceased, and to his high character as a man. The music was suppied by the Congregational Church choir.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Isreal J. Painter
I.B. Painter Dies in Long Beach
February 20, 1846 - May 4, 1918

I. J. Painter aged 73 died at his home in Long Beach Friday evening. Mr. Painter had just returned home from Taft after having spent the winter here. He was not seen around the streets as he was in failing health.

He leaves to mourn his loss, a wife and six children, Clyde, Byron, and Miss Grace Painter of Taft, one daughter in Long Beach and two in the east.

The funeral services will be held at Long Beach.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 28, 1918
Raymond Burton

Raymond R. Burton aged 40 years, died in Maricopa this morning at one o'clock. He was superintendent of the Good Hope Oil Lease near that city. Mr Burton had been sick about one week and finally succumed to the ravages of pneumonia. He leaves a wife who is in Maricopa and 3 children in Los Angeles who are on their way to attend the funeral. A brother will arrive today from San Francisco.

The body is at the Taft Undertaking Parlors awaiting funeral arrangements. Mr. Burton is one of the oldest residents of the oilfields and is well known.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 28, 1918
Joe Johnson

Joe Johnson, aged 31 years and chief clerk at the main camps of the Standard Oil Company here died yesterday at a local hospital of pneumonia. He has worked for the Standard Oil Company here in Taft for the last 4 years. His relatives are in Terra Haute Indiana. Mrs Johnson is very ill at the Red Cross Hospital. Mr and Mrs Johnson are both very popular young people in Taft and well known all ove the West Side.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 28, 1918
H.C. Seaver

H.C. Seaver, aged 41, proporitor and owner of the Colonial Hotel died yesterday at a local hospital of pneumonia. Seaver had been sick less than a week He is one of the oldest residents of Taft and may will regret to hear of his death, His relatives are in Boston, Mass. The ramins are at the Dixon & Flickinger Undertaking Parlors in Bakersfield.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 28, 1918
Jack Monake

Jack Monake, a well known blacksmith of Taft died yesterday at a local hospital of pneumnia. He was married a few months ago to a well known Taft woman, Miss Pearl Miller, who is now very ill with the same malady. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 28, 1918
Marvin Cunningham
Local Boy Dies at Training Camp

Word was received here late this afternoon of the death from influenza at the army training cantogent in Washington of Marvin Cunningham, 20 year old son of Mrs Cunningham of this city and a brothe of Ian Cunningham, make up man at the Midway Driller office.

Young Cunningham left Taft several days ago with the last draft contingent, having successfully passed the physcial examination on the 9th of this month at Bakersfield. He was apparently in the best of health and good spirits when he left here and his death comes as a sudden shock to his family and many friends.

No funeral arrangements have been announced.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 29, 1918
J.C. Woolenberg

J.C. Woolenberg, aged 35 years, died this morning in Maricop from influenza. He was employed by the Derrick Bar in that city. He leaves a wife. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors waiting funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 29, 1918
Frank Andrews

Frank Andrews, aged 34 years, did the morning at his home on 4th Steet of pneumonia. He had just returned from Coalina when he was taken ill. He leaves a wife to mourn his loss. Othe relatives are Mrs. George Loveall and Miss Ethel Boutwell. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors and will be shipped to Bakersfield. Mr. Andrews has been a resident of Taft for about 6 years.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 29, 1918
Mrs. A. Skald

Mrs A. Skald died this morning ot a local hospital of pneumonia. She is the wife of A. Scald, who works in the transportation department of the General Petroleum. She leaves besides her husband a 3 year old child who is ill of the same disease at the hospital. The reamins are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors pending funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Oct 29, 1918
Charles Switzer

Charles Switzer, aged 34 years, died at the Monarch Lease last night of Spanish Influenza. He was an employee of Standard Oil Company. He has a brother, Frank Switzer who lives at 3rd and Kern Streets. The body will be taken to Visalia for burial.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 2, 1918 Richard Bonnell Richard Bonnell, aged 7 years, son of Mr and Mrs Alfred Bonnell of the Buick Oil Lease at Fellows died at a local hospital last night. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 2, 1918
W.L. Palmer

W.L. Palmer, better known in Taft as Roy Palmer, passed away at his home on Second and Kern last night with pneumonia. Palmer has been a resident of Taft for the past 9 years and for 7 years had been employed by the Honululu Oil Company. He was a native of New York State and was 32 years of age. He leaves to mourn his loss a wife and 2 children, Albert adn Irma. He was a brother inlaw of J.F. Winner of Maricopa and of R. W. Widen of Los Angeles. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors and will be sent to Los Angeles for burial. Mrs. Palmer will be unable to accompany the remains on account of the serious of daughter Irma.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 3, 1918
E.J. Ware

E.J. Ware, aged 38 years died yesterday at his home of pneumonia. Mr Ware is a well known man of the oil fields and was supertentent of the Associated Oil Company. He leaves a wife and 2 children to mourn his loss. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors waiting funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 3, 1918
Mrs. L.R. Barney

Mrs L.R. Barned, age 28 years died at a local hospital yesterday with the Influenza. She leaves to mourn her loss a husband L.R. Barney and a daughter Agnes, five years old. Four brothers, three sisters and a father and mother who live in Texas
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 3, 1918
Baby Dies

The 18 moth old baby of Mr and Mrs Hudson at Second and Lucard streets died this morning after a short illness. The remains will be interred at the Midway Cemetery
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 3, 1918
Joe Hirose

Joe Hirose a japanese employee by the Honoiula Oil Company died at a local hospital today with pneumonia. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 3, 1918
K. Bak

K. Bak died at a local hospital today with pneumonia. He leaves a wife to mourn his life who is now sick at the same hospital. Mr Bak was employed by the Massey black mith shop in this city. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors waiting funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Lawrence Cunningham

The funeral of Lawrence Cunningham, eldest son of Mrs. Anna Cunningham of Taft was held Sunday, burial being in the Union Cemetery in Bakersfield. The remains were escorted from Fort Wright, Washington, bu a military escort. A large number of friends were present from Taft.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
R.J. Reynolds

R.J. Reynolds, age 33 years died yesterday at a local hospital with pneumonia. He leaves a wife and 2 children who are all ill at the same hospital. He was an employee of the Western Water company and with his family has only resided in Taft for a short time.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Lee Anderson

Lee Anderson, aged 20 years, died at a local hospital in Maricopa last night. He is the son of M. V. Alexander of that city. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors waiting funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Curby Lewis

Curby Lewis, aged 20 years, died at a local hospital last night of pneumonia. He was well known in Taft, and was an employee of the Federal Drilling Company. He leaves to mourn his loss a mother, Mrs. B, E. Lewis of Taft and 3 sisters, and an aunt. He was drafted last winter and was sent to Camp Lewis and was honorally discharged three months later. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors, and will be taken to Bakersfield for burial.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Mrs. George Plathe

Mrs. George Plathe, aged 31 years passed away Saturday evening at a local hospital of pneumonia. Mrs. Plathe is a resident of South Taft and leaves to mourn her loss a husband George Plathe, and a son three year old, 3 brothers, B. T. Clearwater, W.J. Clearwater, and E. D. Clearwater all of Taft, 2 sisters, Mrs. Ardissone of Los Angeles and Miss Ida Stephens of Fresno; Mr. Plathe is an employee of the K.T.& O. The family have resided in Taft for the past 5 years. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors and will be sent to Bakersfeld. Mr. Plathe is ill at the hospital with the same malady.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Mrs. Gallagher

Mrs C. M. Gallagher is suffering from a nervous breakdown. Mrs Gallaher, was among the first to volunteer her service and had charge of the hospital. No. 1 at the Petroleum Club. She has been working 16 and 18 hours helping relieve suffering, and hopes to be able to return to her duties in a few days.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Jack Shea

Jack Shea, aged 44 years, passed away last night at a local hospital in Maricopa, of pneumonia. Mr Shea is well known in the oil fields having resided here for a number of years. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors and will be shipped to Denver Colorado for burial.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Martha Eberle

Miss Martha Eberle, aged 18 years, died last night at a local hospital with pneumonia. She was in training for a nurse at the time of her death. She is the only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. Eberle of the American Oil Company. The funeral arrangements will be announced later. The remains are at the Taft Undertakning Parolors.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 4, 1918
Jack Schwafel

Jack Schwafel, died yesterday at his home on Lucard Street, after a short illness with pneumonia. Mr Schwafel, has lived in Taft for the past 8 years, and is a proprietor of the Shoe Repair Shop on Center Street. He is one of a family of 18 children, six brothers who are now in Taft and 1 sister, Mrs. Little, who is in Whittlet, California. The rest are all in the East. Mrs. Schwafel is very well known here and many will regret to hear of his death. He leaves a wife and 2 small children.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 11, 1918
Mrs. Ben Gillan

Mrs. Ben Gillan died this morning at a local hospital after a short illness. Her husband Ben Gillan is employed at Kerto. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors waiting funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 11, 1918
Fred Ferguson

Fred Ferguson, aged 20 years, died this morning at a local hospital with pneumonia. His father arrived before his death from Arizona. Mr Ferguson was an employe of Kerto, The ramains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors waiting funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 11, 1918
Clay Trammell

Clay Trammell, aged 40 years, a well known driller of Lakeview No, 2, passed away last night at his home on the lease in Maricopa. He leaves a wife and 2 children to mourn his loss. The remains will be sent to New Mexico for burial. Mr Tramemell had been employed as a driller for Lakeview No 2. and the Interstate for the past five years.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 12, 1918
Mrs. Jack Fuller

Mrs Jack Fuller, passed wasy this morning at the main camp of the Santa Fe lease in Fellows. She leaves a husband and 3 children to mourn her loss. The reamins are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors waiting funeral arrangements.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 12, 1918
Miss Hance

Miss Hance passed away this afternoon at the home of her sister Mrs. J.W. Titus of this city. Miss Hance has been ill at the Red Cross hospital for some weeks and had been moved to her sister's home before her death. The remains are being held waiting funeral arrangements
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Nov 23, 1918
Bruce Minkler

Bruce Minkler, age 34 years, died at General Hospital at 4:15 this morning from Internal injuries recieved recently while drilling on the North American Lease. A baler fell 20 feet and struck him breaking his collar bone and crushing 2 ribs causing severe internal injuries. He leaves a wife. Mr Minkler was an active member of the Neighbors of Woodcraft of this city and his death comes as a great shock to his many friends. The remains are at the Books Undertking Parlors awaiting the arrival of his father from Oregon when the funeral arrangements will be announced.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dec 28, 1918
Lilliam Barkely

Miss Lilliam Barkley, who until recently was employed in the Taft Postoffice, passed away last night; following an illness of ten days. Infuenza coupled with pneumonia was the cause of her death. Miss Barkley came to Taft some time ago from Missouri and has resided with her sister.

The remains were taken in charbe by C.W. Withrow of the Taft Undertaking Company. As yet no funeral arrangements have been made.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mrs. H.E. Messimore
January 7, 1919

Mrs. H. E. Messimore Dies Here Today

Mrs. H. E. Messimore passed away at her home this morning in South Taft with Influenza. An Infant child, which passed away yesterday, will be Buried with the mother. Mr. Messimore has been employed by the mascot Oil Company for two years. Mr. and Mrs. Messimore are old residents of Taft and the death of Mrs. Messimore will come as a shock to the entire community. She leaves three small children with her husband to mourn her loss. The Remains are at the Taft Undertaking parlors waiting to hear from relatives who live in the northern part of the state.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Thomas Bishop

January 14, 1919

Thomas Bishop Is Killed At Fellows

Thomas L. Bishop aged 35 years was so severely injured yesterday afternoon at the Doheny-Pacific lease at Fellows that he passed away a few minutes later. He was working around a gas engine and was putting a belt on when his coat was caught on the wheel and he was dragged underneath it. His companions could not get him out until the wheel was lifted. It was found that his neck was broken. He leaves a wife, who is an invalid in Santa Barbara. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking parlors A coroner's inquest will be held this afternoon.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

M. Zeddin

January 18, 1919

M. Zeldin Dies At West Side Home.

M. Zeddin, who for the past several years has been employed by the C. C. M. O. Company as a motorman.passed away Friday night at his home at the Vernettee camp of the company following an attack of influenza. He leaves a wife and one child as yet no funeral arrangements have been made.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Albert Frye


Albert Frye, Aged 35 years, passed away with influenza last evening in Kerto. He was a native of Kansas. He had been in the employ of the Kerto camp for the last four months>Precious to this he was a stage driver for the Eldorado stage company between Bakersfield and Los Angeles He leaves a mother Mrs. Mary Longden of Kerto to mourn his loss. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking parlors. The funeral will take place tomorrow at 11 o'clock and internment will take place in the Midway Cemetery.
He was born 1881
Died 17 January 1919
plot 262 section 2

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sam Guthrie

January 20, 1919

Sam Guthrie Jr. dies on Sunday

Sam Guthrie jr., which has been ill for the past week, passed away Sunday morning at 10:00 o'clock. The remains were taken in charge by the Taft Undertaking Company. Funeral arrangements are to be announced later.
Sam was born 15 February 1885
Died 19 January 1919 plot 261 section 2
Mother Maybell Wiesbinley
Father S. W. Guthrie

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

H. E. Ebers
H. E. Ebers Dies
Thursday - January 23, 1919

H. E. Ebers, employed by the General Petroleum Corporation, died early this morning, a victim of influenza. His wife, in Bakersfield was sent for, and his parents in the east wired.

Final disposition of the body will not be made until answer has been received.

Elizabeth Nichols
Elizabeth Nichols Dies
Friday - January 24, 1919

Elizabeth Nichols, aged four months, died last night a 11:00 o'clock from influenza, and was buried from the Taft Undertaking Parlors at 2:30 o'clock this afternoon. Burial was at the Midway Cemetery.

Erma Genevieve Sullivan
Taft Child Dies
Friday - January 24, 1919

Erma Genevieve Sullivan, the four months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. T. M. Sullivan of South Taft, passed away last night following an attack of pneumonia.

The funeral service will be held this afternoon in Bakersfield. Interment will be in the Union Cemetery.

Francis Kofahl

January 25, 1919

Francis Kofahl Dies Here Friday Night

Frances Kofahl aged 32 years wife of E. W. Kofahl, passed away last evening at 8:45 with influenza at her home at 325 Lucard Street. She leaves a husband E. W. Kofahl, employed by the J. W. Jameson Oil Company in Taft and three sisters and a brother in Licking Missouri, and a father in Florida has one brother L. S. Kofahl, who is employed by the Standard Oil Company here and one sister. Mrs. A. D. Mitchell of North Street. Mrs. Kofahl was ill about one week. She has been an ardent worker for the Red Cross and leaves a large circle of friends to mourn her loss. With her husband she has resided on Lucard Street for the past three years.

The funeral will take place tomorrow at 10:30 a.m. at the Taft Undertaking parlors and the body will then be shipped to Missouri for burial Mr. Kofahl will accompany the remains.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ed McCormick

January 26, 1919

Ed McCormick Dies Saturday Afternoon

Edward McCormick aged 41 years Passed away Saturday afternoon at 4:30- o'clock at the Kerto Camp He Leave a wife and six children to mourn his loss. He has been in the employ of the K. T. & O. Company as driller for the past seven years. He is a member of the Maricopa Eagles. Mr. McCormick had been ill with the influenza and was convalescent and had gone to his work when he suffered a relapse from which he never recovered He resided on eighth street, where he has lived for a number of years with his family

The McCormick family are among the oldest residents of Taft and have the sympathy of the entire community. The remains were taken in charge by the Dixon and Flickinger undertaking company of Bakersfield and the funeral will be held from these parlors Tuesday afternoon at 2:30 0'clock. The funeral services will be conducted by the Maricopa Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

John Ivie
January 29, 1919

John Ivie Dies

John Ivie, age 42, years passed away this morning at the General Hospital with pneumonia. For the past six years he has been the pipe foreman for the Virginia Pipe Line Company.

He leaves a brother in Corsicana, Texas and two who are in the U. S. Service. The remains are at the Taft Undertaking Parlors.

Funeral arrangements will be announce later.
John A. Ivie born 1876
Died 28 January 1919
Plot 265 section 2
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Wm and Adeline Fillmore

February 24 1919

Hold Inquest over Husband and Wife.

The coroner's inquest was held yesterday over thr remains of Adeline, Goode, Fillmore and her husband Wm Fillmore. The verdict was that the women met her death by a gunshot, which was inflicted by Wm. Fillmore with murderous intent.

The man met his death by a gunshot wound fired by his own hand. Adeline Fillmore aged 64 years will be buried tomorrow afternoon in the Union Cemetery in Bakersfield. Wm Fillmore aged 73 years will be buried today in the Midway Cemetery. The couple had several children those in the oilfields are Mrs. E. L. Foust and M. L Fillmore of Fellows. another daughter will arrive today from San Luis Obispo.

This Wm. Fillmore is a close relative to our President Millard Fillmore.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fillmore Tragedy

Midway Driller 24 February 1919


Murder and Suicide in West Side Home Late This Morning

Walking into the back yard of his wife's home on the Associated lease and where his aged wife was washing clothes. J. Fillmore shortly before 11 o'clock this morning shot and instantly killed her. He then shot himself through the temple inflicting a wound from which he died shortly afterwards. Mrs. Fillmore had been separated from her husband for several years and was living at the home of her son M. L. Fillmore an employee of the Associated.

It was not definitely learned at this writing just what caused the double tragedy. First reports stated that the aged husband walked into the yard and fired the fatal shot at once. Later reports stated that Fillmore first argued with his wife, and that they had been discussing the war. The full particulars of the shooting will no doubt be brought out at the inquest which coroner

Arch Dixon of Bakersfield plans to hold this afternoon at the Taft Undertaking parlors, where the bodied of the wife and husband were taken.

Mrs. E. L. Foust a daughter of the aged couple resides near Fellows not far distant from the home of the son where the murdered women resided sand where the tragedy occurred.

Dr. Moodie was called from Fellows immediately following the shooting but Fillmore passed away shortly after the physician arrived. It is the belief of relatives and friends if the dead couple that Fillmore was insane and had probably brooded over some fancied wrong.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Fillmore Returns to Slay wife

Bakersfield Californian February 24, 1919


Fellows Woman Killed by Husband, Who Turns Gun on Himself

TAFT Feb. 25. Returning home after an absence of several years, during which time he had been separated from his wife. Wm., Fillmore this morning walked into the back yard of his wife's home near Fellows, and shot her through the back killing her almost instantly. Fillmore after viewing for a moment his crime walked into the front room of the house, lay down on the bed a sent a bullet crashing through his temple. He died within a few minutes.

The only cause assigned for the rash act by members of the family is that Fillmore had become insane through brooding over his domestic trouble. Fillmore was 60 years of age and his wife 55. They were the parents of two children now grown . Mrs. Fillmore has been making her home with her son M. L. Fillmore L. Fillmore, since she and her husband separated several years ago. A daughter Mrs. E. L. Foust also resides in Fellows.

There were no eyewitnesses to the first act of the tragedy, but it is believed that Fillmore approached his wife from behind, advanced to within a few feet of her and fired point-blank into her back as she leaned over a tub washing clothes. Attracted by the shot members of the family and neighbors rushed to the scene but failed to arrive in time to prevent Fillmore from slaying himself.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mrs. W. H. Fillmore

Funeral services for Mrs. W. H. Fillmore, who was shot by her husband in Taft Several days ago took place this afternoon at 2 o'clock at the Dixon-Flickinger chapel, with Rev George W. Warmer Officiating.

William H. Fillmore born 1846
Died 24 Feb. 1919
Midway Cemetery Plot 295 section 2

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

George Nilson

February 25. 1919

George Nilson Dies

George Nilson 50 years of age passed away yesterday afternoon at a local hospital He was a partner of M. M. Kertland of the westside and was employed on the Hale-McLeod lease prior to his death. No funeral arrangements have been made

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

L.E. Bicknell
Oil Workman Meets Death at Coalinga

Coalinga Feb. 27, 1919 L. E. Bicknell a well known local oil worker was instantly killed about noon yesterday when he fell from near the top of the derrick he was working in striking on his shoulders on the floor of the rig. He was badly crushed by the fall. Which was about sixty feet. And was dead when fellow workers rushed to his side.

It had sixty feet and was dead when fellows been raining and the derrick timbers was wet. As were also his gloves and his hands slipped while climbing up the derrick. No one noticed him until he was seen falling Bicknell has worked this field for a number of years and at the time of the accident he was employed by the Keck drilling company on section 19 of the southern pacific fund oil Department. He is survived by his wife who resides in this city. The coroner's inquest will be held at 10 o'clock this morning

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Milton Paling

Paling Child Dies Here Wednesday March 29, 1919

Milton, the infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Cloid Paling of the Standard Oil Company, passed Wednesday evening following a short illness. The funeral service was held yesterday from the Chapel of the Taft Undertaking Company internment was in the Midway Cemetery.
Born 24 July 1917
Died 27 March 1919
Plot 380 section 2
Mother Alice Wilts
Father Cloid Paling

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This is only a part of an obit because someone has cut out something on the back of it and so about an inch of words, I am guessing, is just gone. I am filling in some of the letters that are obvious, some of the words are obvious too but I can't just guess. I thought you would appreciate knowing what I did find. If someone out there has a complete obit please e it to me so I can complete this. Thanks!
H. B. Walker
Oil Worker Meats Death at Hands ____ His Bun______
H. B. Walker Shot to _______ During Row on Lease
D. A. Sumner Now In _______
Draws Revolver and S_______ To Stop Pounding of Nails
Monday - July 14, 1919

H. B. Walker, a employee______ American Oilfields Company, ______tally wounded Saturday at the ______ bunk house and died shortly ______ ward from his wounds. It _____ ed D. A. Sumner, also an ________of the oil company, fired the _______ which resulted in Walker's _______.

Walker was about 60 years _______and employed as a pumper. According to officers wh_____ Sumner under arrest the _________ started when Walker returned _______ from work and started to nail ________ in the side of the bunkhouse _______ noise awakened Sumner wa_______ Walker to stop driving nails, the latter did not stop imm________ it is alleged Sumner drew his _______ver from beneath his pillow _______ gan shooting. One bullet ________ Walker's right shoulder and _______ downward course through th_______. The other bullet lodged in ______ leg above the knee. The wounded man was ru________ to the hospital, but died shortly ______ward. all his relatives are ______ as.

Sumner was taken to the ________ jail where he issued a statement _______claring that he did not know _______ used the revolver, but ______ was very tired when he _______ shortly after midnight , and h_______ he was aroused when he was ______ awakened by the pounding _______ bunk house.

An inquest will be held th________ noon by Coroner Flickinger.

E. W. Abbott
Wednesday July 16, 1919
E. W. Abbott Dies Early Today

E. W. Abbott, field superintendent for the Valley Natural Gas Company passed away this morning at 6:00 o'clock at the San Joaquin Hospital in Bakersfield following a operation for appendicitis. Mr. Abbott was operated upon Monday morning and failed to rally from the effects of the operation.

The funeral service will be held tomorrow morning from the Payne and O'Meara Chapel in Bakersfield.

Pete Reardon
November 13,1919

Inquest over Body of Pete Reardon

Tomorrow afternoon at 1 o'clock an inquest will be held at the Taft undertaking parlors to determine

The cause of the death of Pete Reardon, who died suddenly on, the American Lease.

Mr. Reardon was a member of the Oil Workers Union of McKittrick Mr. C.W.Witherow has wired Jas. Reardon of Brooklyn N. Y. a brother of the deceased, but has had no reply from him
Born 1864
Died 11 November 1919
Plot 173 section 3

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Mexican Killed When Pipe Hits Electric Wires
Worker at Rogers Brothers' Camp Electrocuted Early Today
Manuel Torres
Monday - March 14, 1921

M. Torres, a Mexican employed by Rogers Bros. Contractors, now engaged in widening the highway between Taft and Moshier's was instantly killed, and Superintendent J. M. Hicks, in charge of the work, suffered a badly burned hand, early this morning when a length of water pipe accidentally came in contact with a high tension wire overhead and which carried approximately 18,000 volts.

Torres, who came from Bakersfield, and who only started to work for Rogers Bros. this morning, was assisting in the laying of a water line preparatory to paying activities. He picked up a length of pipe and was raising it to empty the rust when the upper end struck the high tension wire. Supt. Hicks came to the assistance of Torres just a fraction of a second before the pipe struck the wire. This is believed to be the reason for the slight injuries he received, although he was thrown several feet away when the current was diverted through the pipe.

The dead man was 23 years of age. He had been employed by the Rogers Bros. on Sunday, and had been on the job only a few minuets when killed. He was a single man.

Efforts are now being made by C. W. Witherow of the Taft Undertaking Parlors to locate relatives of Torres at Bakersfield. Funeral arrangements will be announced later.

Eugene Patton Dies Suddenly
Park Eugene Patton
November 7, 1921

Park Eugene Patton of South Taft was stricken with appoplexy at 6:00 o'clock last evening was removed to the Taft Union Hospital formerly the Burton Hospital at 8:00 p.m. He leaves a daughter and a son.

Masons Attention
J. E. Patton
November 8, 1921

All Master Mason who can do so are requested to be at Dicksons and Flickingers undertaking parlors, Bakersfield, California, promptly at 2:00 p.m. Wednesday afternoon for the purpose of conducting funeral services for our late Brother J. E. Patton of Ohio.

A. C. Parsons, W. M. Midway Lodge No. 426

Virginia Breedlove Dies on Saturday
Virginia Esther Breedlove
Monday - December 21, 1923

Virginia Esther Breedlove, aged 6 years daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Breedlove of Taft, was buried in Union Cemetery, Bakersfield, this morning, following services held there. The child passed away Saturday, after a short illness. The Taft, Undertaking Company was in charge of the services.

Mrs. Walter Reiger Passes in Taft
Host of Friends in Taft and Coalinga Mourn Her Death

Mrs. Elizabeth Reiger, age 39, wife of Walter H. Reiger of the Reiger Iron Works in this city, passed away at 7:30 o'clock last night following an illness of five days.

Mrs. Reiger came to Taft 10 years ago with her husband and two small chidren, and has resided here since that time. Mr. Reiger became associated with the firm of Reiger and Candee, and has since taken over the firm here, which is known as the Reiger Iron Work. Mrs. Reiger was prominent socially during her residence in the fields and numbers her friends by her acquaintances. Her passing is mourned by a host of friends in Taft and at her former home in Coalinga.

She is survived by her husband and two children, Orlien, 15, and Pearl, 13, of this city, and her mother, Mrs. A.M. Peterson of Lodi, and two brothers residing in Taft, J. D. Peterson and H. A. Peterson; J. A. Peterson of Lodi, C. C. Peterson of Oakland and Pete Peterson of Clemets, California; sisters, Mrs. Fred Schon of San Francisco, and Mrs. Henry Claussen of Wallace, California.

Funeral services will be held Thursday at 9:30 a. m. at the Taft Undertaking Parlors and burial will be in Union Cemetery at Bakersfield. The body is at the Taft Undertaking Parlors.

Funeral Service For Mrs. Reiger
Elizabeth Reiger
November 11, 1884 - May 5, 1924
Thursday - May 8, 1924

Funeral services for the late Mrs. Elizabeth Reiger, wife of Walter N. Reiger of this city, were held at 9:00 o'clock this morning at the Taft Undertaking Parlors. Services were conducted by the Rev. F.L. Benedict of the Presbyterian Church "Rock of Ages" and Lead Kindly Light" were the solo numbers at the services.

A large number of friends and relatives were present at the last rites. Pallbearers were brothers of the deceased. A perfect bank of flowers was heaped upon the bier. Interment was made in the Union Cemetery at Bakersfield.

Heart Disease Claims Worker
James Cox
Wednesday - May 7, 1924

Passing suddenly from heart trouble after he had complained of feeling ill, the body of James Cox, age 55, lay for almost 36 hours in a small patch of grass by the roadside a few miles from Maricopa, until fellow workmen, who had instituted a search, came upon the body yesterday afternoon. Cox was employed with the construction gang of the Kern Mutual Telephone Company.

Monday morning Cox advised the foreman that he was feeling ill. The foreman told him to sit down in the shade for a short time until he could get the work started and he would drive him back to Taft. A few minutes later, however, he saw Cox walking up the road toward Maricopa. When he was ready to start for town Cox was no where in sight and believing the man had picked up a ride with a passing car, paid no further attention to him. Cox failed to report for work Tuesday morning, and when it was learned he had not returned to Taft a search was made. His body was found just off the roadway close to the point where he was last seen walking on the road.

The body was brought to the Taft Undertaking Parlors, and an inquest will be held by Coroner Houze.

Burial Today
James H. Cox
1866 - May 5, 1924
Friday - May 9, 1924

Burial of James Cox of this city took place in Bakersfield with the General William R. Shafter camp of the United Spanish War Veterans in charge of the services. Cox was a member of the Shafter camp of the veterans.

Funeral Services
Marie Brennan
born about 1903 - August 28, 1924
Thursday August 28, 1924

Funeral services for the Late Mrs. Samuel Brennan, who died August 27, at her home in Shale, will be held tomorrow morning at 9:00 a.m. at St. Mary's Church.

Mrs. Brennan died from compications and heart trouble. She is survived by her husband and a two month old girl.

Gasoline is Given Child by Mistake
Bobby Enos
November 19, 1923 - August 27, 1924
Thursday August 28, 1924

Bobbie Enos, 9 months old son of Mr. and Mrs. Manuel Enos of G. P. avenue, and who died yesterday afternoon, came to his death through drinking of a quantity of gasoline, mistakenly administered by his mother, Marie Enos, according to the verdict of the coroners jury today.

The child according to the testimony at the inquest, had been taken to the Styner home next door, while the mother changed her clothes. Mrs. Styner was busily engaged in cleaning her husband's clothes, and had a quart milk bottle about three quarter full of gasoline standing the table. When the baby started to cry Mrs. Styner called over to the mother, who came immediately. As the mother entered the Styner home, Mrs. Styner went out to hang up her husbands clothes. Mrs. Enos picked up her baby and as the child was hot gave the child a drink from the milk bottle on the table, as she had always done at home, believing the bottle to contain water.

I always keep cool water for the children in quart milk bottles, said the mother at the inquest today, "and never for a moment thought of it being anything but water in the bottle. "when I first came into the room, I smelled gasoline strongly, and Mrs. Styner told me she had been cleaning clothes. That is perhaps the reason I failed to smell the gasoline when I picked up the bottle and gave it to my baby." The child was hurried to a physician's office within five minutes of taking the gasoline, but every effort to revive him failed.

The body is at the Taft Undertaking Parlors.

Child Passes Near Maricopa
Anna Dora Dudley
Friday - August 29, 1924

Anna Dora Dudley, 14 months-old daughter of Harry A. Dudley, of near Maricopa, passed away last night at the family home. The child's mother passed away about a year ago. The little tot is survived by her father and four small brothers. Funeral services will be held at 5:00 o'clock tomorrow evening from the Taft Undertaking Parlors.

Mrs. Emmons Dies in Taft
Mrs. Margaret Emmons
March 27, 1868 - December 19, 1924
December 22, 1924

Mrs. Margaret Jane Emmons passed away at the home of her son, E. C. Emmons, yesterday, following a illness which has lingered with her for the past several months. At the time of her leaving this world. Mrs. Emmons was 56 years of age. The deceased was very well known in this district, having resided in the county for several years an on the West Side with her son for the past several months.

Mrs. Emmons is survived by her husband, E. J. Emmons, of Bakersfield; a son, E. C. Emmons of Taft and a daughter, Edith, and one other son.

Final services for Mrs. Emmons will be conducted Sunday morning at Bakersfield, with the Taft Undertaking Company conducting the services.

Kathryn Kenney Passes in Taft
Kathryn Kenney
November 16, 1921 - December 20, 1924
December 22, 1924

Kathryn Rose Kenney, three years of age, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. H. M. Kenney, passed away at the family home here Saturday afternoon.

Funeral services were held this morning at 9:00 o'clock at the parlors of the Taft Undertaking Company, with the Rev. Mr. Crawford, pastor of the First Baptist Church, officiating. Interment took place in Union Cemetery in Bakersfield.

Child Dies
December 19, 1924 - December 19, 1924
December 22, 1924

The many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Strom of the Santa Fe Camp, death of their infant son, born December 19.

Buried in Union Cemetery

Patrick Sweeney
born about 1882 - December 24, 1924
Fred Mankins
born about 1897 - December 25, 1924
Taft Police Investigate Two Deaths Over Fields
Patrick Sweeney Killed Walking Along Highway
Poison Liquor Kills Mankins
Prisoner in City Jail Found Dead on Christmas Morning
December 26, 1924

Two inquests will be held in succession starting tomorrow afternoon at 2:00 o'clock at the Taft Undertaking Parlors, with corner N. C. Houze in charge, as the result of two deaths over Christmas eve and Christmas morning.

Patrick Sweeney, as employee of the Pacific Gasoline Company in the Elk Hills, was knocked down and killed by a motorist while the former was walking on the highway between Taft and Maricopa, late Christmas eve. The motorist is believed to have hurried away without rendering assistance to the stricken man, and passing motorists took the man to the West Side hospital, where he died shortly afterwards.

Officers today are endeavoring to run down a clew that a woman, who was stranded on the highway had seen the accident. It was first believed that Sweeney, who is said to have been drinking, was thrown or fell from a car. Marks and bruises on his body, however, Show that he was struck by a car. The wheels of the machine passed over one foot, smashing the sole of the shoe, while his skull was badly crushed. Sweeney's wife is said to reside at Pismo Beach, and an effort is being made to locate her.

Fred Mankins passed away in the city jail early Christmas morning, presumably from drinking poisoned liquor. Mankins was arrested about 1:30 Christmas Morning when it is alleged he was driving his car down Center Street, using both sides of the street. Marshal O. M. Prewitt arrested Mankins and lodged him in jail. Returning. to the jail Christmas morning to feed the prisoners Prewitt found Mankins dead on the floor of his cell with his overcoat and a blanket over him. The body was taken to the Taft Undertaking Parlors, where an autopsy was performed by our doctors from Taft. The stomach showed unmistakable signs of the ravages of the poison liquor. There was no marks or bruises on the body whatever. Other prisoners in the jail at the time stated today that Mankins went to sleep immediately after being placed in his cell, and that they heard no sound from him except his deep breathing. In Mankins Pockets the marshal found a barber's union certificate and today is endeavoring to locate relatives in the fields. It is believed that Mankins lived in Taft and worked in a barber shop at Fellows.

Evidence in the two is being gathered today by Deputy Coroner C. W. Witherow in preparation for the inquests which will be held tomorrow afternoon.