READ THIS BEFORE MAKING A LOOKUP REQUEST.
Posting Guidelines, (not following these guidelines can result in your query being ignored or you being unsubscribed)
These lists are not a magic cure all for everyone's census problem's the
lists operate by each researcher helping others, there is not a guarantee that you will get an answer.
If you find someone charging a fee for a look up please let me know right away and they will be removed and banned from the lists.
Limit lookup requests to ONE email request per day.
The subject line should read
NO General requests such as "all Smiths in all counties"
Be specific, Name the County, Family you are looking for and also the year. Try to supply as much info as possible.
NO FLAMING or you will be unsubbed without notice. By this I mean not only being rude or mean to each other but there will be NO and I do mean NO debating here about the Census Projects. These lists are for everyone who wants to research.
MOST IMPORTANTLY Hang in there and don't
get discouraged if your not answered right away. I am encouraging everyone to share this web site with their surname and county mailing lists. Finally, If you have the material to help a fellow researcher, please use it. Thanks, Kelly
The Welcome Letter :
PLEASE READ AND PRINT OUT this entire message before you post a message to XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L@rootsweb.com You are currently subscribed in "mail mode", which means that you will receive every
posting made to XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L as a separate e-mail. The directions on how to change to"digest mode" are given below.
1. Purpose. The XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L list is for lookup requests from the Federal and State census, all years.
2. To UNSUBSCRIBE: Send a message to: XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-Lfirstname.lastname@example.org that contains in the body of the message the command "unsubscribe" (no quotation marks) and NO additional text or signature lines. (If you have difficulty removing your signature lines, you can put the word "quit" on the
line after "unsubscribe"). If your E-mail address goes bad or your mailbox fills up, you'll be automatically unsubscribed by the mailing list software after the fourth message in a row
bounces back to RootsWeb.
3. To SUBSCRIBE: Whatever you just did worked, or you'd not be getting this message. But for future reference (for instance, if your subscription is cancelled for whatever reason and you want to resubscribe), just send the command "subscribe"to XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-Lemail@example.com.
4. To change to DIGEST MODE (several postings are combined and sent to you together as a single large message). There are two steps. First, send the command "subscribe" to XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-Dfirstname.lastname@example.org to start receiving the digest. Second, send the command "unsubscribe" to XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-Lemail@example.com to discontinue mail mode.
5. How to change to NOMAIL mode: There is no formal NOMAIL mode. All you have to do is follow the directions above and unsubscribe when you want the messages to stop, and then when you want them to start again, simply subscribe again.
6. TO POST a message so everyone on the mailing list receives it, just send it to: XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L@rootsweb.com. It will then be sent on to everyone in both mail and digest mode. DON'T send it explicitly to both mailing lists.
7. The custodian of the XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L list is Kelly Courtney-Blizzard firstname.lastname@example.org. If you
have problems getting subscribed/unsubscribed from the list or have any other difficulties with the list, write to me (not to the list) and I'll try to resolve the problem.
8. Even if you decide not to save this message, please try to remember that, like all the CENSUS-L-LOOKUP lists at RootsWeb, the subscribe and unsubscribe messages go to XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-Lemail@example.com, not to the XX-CENSUS-LOOKUP-L@rootsweb.com list itself.
9. The mailing list is presently installed at rootsweb.com, which is the home of the RootsWeb. See http://www.rootsweb.com for information about RootsWeb. It's not necessary to pay anything to subscribe
to any of its surname mailing lists.
10. Message format and attachments. Subject lines should be "YR/SURNAME/COUNTY". Please submit messages only in plain text (no HTML), and don't submit attachments or hyperlinks. Many of our subscribers are using software that cannot read attachments hyperlinks
sometimes cause messages to be bounced back. ONLY ONE SURNAME per request! Please, always use a helpful subject line like "1880/STEWART/Saginaw Co", rather than a generic one like
"inquiry about Stewart family".
11. Copyrights. Any person sending a message to this list retains the copyright to it. By sending the message, you grant to the list custodian, and to his heirs and assigns forever, permission to distribute copies of the message to other list members, to store archival copies of the message, and to make the archival copies available to the Internet community at large. You also grant to other list members the right to quote your message in part or in total as a part of their replies sent back to the list.
12. No-No's. Please DO NOT submit virus alerts, chain letters, or other off-topic material to the list, ESPECIALLY CENSUS PROJECT DEBATING. Don't send copies of copyrighted material. Vulgarity and personal attacks on other list members are also unwelcome. Any one of these violations can result in your being removed from the list. Don't send messages exceeding 8 kilobytes in length. If someone else violates these rules, please do not send their message back to this list!
13. "Please" and "Thank You" are always welcome! When thanking someone for a lookup, please email that person directly, do not post to the list.
14. For your verification, a transcript of the original subscription request is included below.
Census Lookup page