(333) Thos. Fulton appointed Constable, vice Davis Harrison.
(334) James Lockhart committed for debtor's prison.
(334) Mary Nahan, servant of Ann Moore.
(335) Elizabeth Mathews, aged 14, orphan of Joshua Mathews, chose George Mathews her guardian.
(336) Samuel Kent, having been committed to jail on charge of being a runaway servant, and nothing appearing against him --discharged.
(336) Wm. Johnson, two tithables and 100 acres,
added to tithables. John Johnson, one tihable and 120 acres,
added to tithables.
(337) Hemp certificates: John Dean, Christr. Vinyard, James Hogshead, John Trotter, Alexr. Walker, Saml. Davis, Andrrw Russell, Saml. Gibson, John Davison.
(338) Hemp certificates: David Wallace, Thos. Hill, James Gilmore, Wm. Henderson, Robt. Hamilton.
(338) George Conrad qualifies administrator of Stephen Conrad.
(338) Hugh Donaho appointed surveyor of highway from Thos. Connelly's house to James Beard's ford, vice Alexr. Walker.
(339) Thomas McClure aged 14, orphan of Nathaniel McClure, chose Halbert McClure guardian. John Cassaty, aged 16, orphan of Neil Cassaty, chose Saml. Davis his guardian. Samuel Davis qualifies administrator of Neil Cassaty.
(339) Jonas Friend appointed Constable, vice Peter Vaneman.
(339) John Montgomery qualifies administrator of Alexr. Buse (Bruce).
(340) James Anderson and wife, Elizabeth, bound to peace towards Wm. Robertson.
(340) 315 acres of Roger Kilpatrick added to tithables.
(340) George Bryans, having been committed to jail on suspicion of being a runaway servant, and it appearing that he was no servant--discharged.
(341) Saml. Cockrane exempted from levy--age and infirmity.
(341) Grand jurors: Nathanl. Evans, Joseph Raburn, Saml. McPheeters, Francis Erwin, Robt. Thompson, Henry Stone, James McCain, John Ramsey, Archibald Fisher, John White, Henry Campbell, Saml. Briggs, Richd. Renalds, Hugh Hays, Joseph Malcolm, David Laird, John Francis, John Black, James Leatherdale, John McClure, Hugh Donaho.
(341) Richard Murray and Catherine, his wife, late Catherine Highlands, summoned on complaint of John Chrisman for not bringing up the children of Henry Highlands in a Christianlike manner.
(341) Alexr. Dale appointed Constable, vice James Young. Joseph Bell appointed surveyor of highway from James Lessley's to fork of road leading to Staunton, vice Archd. Hamilton.
(342) John Young, servant of James McGarock.
(342) Abraham Brown, one tithable and 460 acres, added to tithables.
(342) Road established from Craig's Mill to the Mouth of South River, and from the Mills to the Great Road leading to Staunton.
(342) Hemp certificates: John Hall, David Cloyd, Charles Lewis.
(343) Hemp certificates: Andrew Hamilton, Dawson Wade, James Burnsides, John Montgomery, Thos. Brown, Edwd. Erwin, Postle Hover, James Crow, John Henderson.
(343) Surveyor of highway appointed: James Davis, vice John Hanna.
(343) James Cloyd's mark recorded a crop in the left ear and a slit in right and a half penny on each side of the slit.
(344) John Hall and John White appointed surveyors of highway from George Campbell's to Wm. McClenachan's Mill.
(344) 120 acres of Henry Cartmill added to tithables. Added to tithables: Saml. Ferguson, John Peary and Hugh Allen.
(345) James Simpson appointed surveyor of highway
from Cow Pasture to Gilmer's Gap, and the workers from Wm.
Dougherty's down to Captain Christian's.
(346) Hemp certificates: Christopher Wiiliams, John Moffett, John Mills, Thos. Turk, Wm. Blanton, Wm. Robertson, Wm. Campbell, John Patrick, John Mitchell, Saml. Hamilton, Rob. Stuart, Wallas Estil.
(347) Hemp certificates: Margaret Robinson, James Ledderdale.
(347) Thos. Tosh, Danl. McNeill and Francis Grymes, to view a road from the Stone House to Evans's Mill. David Campbell and Samuel Downey appointed overseers of road from John McCreery's to James Moffett's, vice James Callison and David Cunningham.
(347) Danl. Smith, greatest creditor, qualifies administrator of Nicholas Null. Jacob Nicholas, John Coats and Augustine Price, appraisers of Nicholas Null.
(347) John Bowen appointed overseer of the road from the ferry on James River to the Warm Springs, opposite to John McClure's.
(348) Timothy Keith, runaway servant of Alexr. McPheeters.
(348) Walter Trimble appointed Constable, vice James McCreary.
(349) John Coalter appointed surveyor of highway from Benj. Stuart's Branch to the Court House Road.
(349) James Ledderdale asks counter security from Margaret Looney, admx. of Peter Looney, since intermarried with James McKain.
(350) Thomas Rhodes, discharged in bankruptcy.
(350) Hemp certificates: Wm. Tees, Francis Stewart, Saml. Wilson.
(351) Hemp certificates: Gabriel Alexander, Nicholas Solles, Israel Christian, James Henderson, David Robinson, John Buckanon, Robt. Steel, Wm. Wordlow, John Brown.
(352) John Seewright appointed surveyor of highway from Stone Meeting House to Naked Creek. Gawin Leeper, same, from Gratton's Store to Naked Creek. Felix Gilbert and Joseph Dicktom, same, vice, John Cravens.
(354) John Robinson, M. R., garnishee.
(357) Thos. Carr, runaway servant of James McGill.
(358) Peter Vaneman qualified Lieutenant of Militia.
(358) Wm. McCutcheon appointed surveyor of highway, vice John Risk.
(359) Jurors: John Rusk, Jeremiah Ragen, Saml. Clark, John Brown, Wm. McKee, Joseph Kinkade, Francis Stewart, James Henderson, John Findley, Saml. Black, Wm. Long, John Caldwell.
(359) Wm. Tees vs. Michael O'Donald.--Abates by defendant's death.
(360) Joseph McMurty and George McAfee reported that there were not enough tithables convenient to make a wagon road from McMurty's Mill thro' McAfee's Gap to the wagon road, and it was only practicable to clear it for carrying loads on horseback until the country is better settled, which is ordered, and Joseph McMurty and James McAfee, Jr., to be surveyors and work with the tithables on Craig's Creek and its branches from Gatlive's up, and on Catabo from Alexander Smith's up.
(361) Jacob Pence appointed overseer of road, vice Jacob Parsinger. Michael Shirley appointed surveyor of highway, vice Nicholas Null. Zebulon Harrison, same, vice John Phillips.
(361) Jurors: James Hill, John Long, Pat. Christian, Saml. Caldwell, Joseph Gamwell, James Lawrence, David Moore, Hance Harper, Saml. Crockett, Wm. Cowdon, Jeremiah Telford, Saml. Lawrence.
(361) 1,916 acres of Mary Wood added to tithables.
(362) 600 acres of John Wood added to tithables.
(362) Wm. Black appointed surveyor of highway, vice John Black.
(362) Witnesses: James Callison, John Kirk, James Clark.
(363) John Bowen.
(365) George Weaver, bound to peace towards John Hill.
(366) Hemp certificates: John Fulton, Saml.
Lawrence, John Poage.
(366) George Francis, James and Adam Reaburn, to view improvements of John Archer on 345 acres and 75 acres.
(366) Road ordered from John Archer's Mill to Robert Fowler's; John Blair and John Young, surveyors.
(366) Witness: Samuel Crockett.
(367) Jurors: Samuel Buchanan, James Lawrence, Wm. Lawrence, John Craig. Benj. Keys, Wm. Kennedy, Joseph Gamwell, Thos. Picken, Jacob Woodley, Saml. Caldwell, John Fulton, Alexr. Reed.
(368) Jurors: Wm. Watterson, John Trotter, Pat. Buchanan, John Thompson, John Long, Wm. Huchison, Edward Thompson, John Bamier, Joseph McClung, Thomas Rhoades, Saml. Caldwell, James Armstrong.
(368) George Poage qualified Captain of Militia.
(369) Jurors: Wm. Christian, Andrew Greer, Wm. Baskins, James Fowler, Saml. Henderson, Wm. McKee, John Graham, John Fulton, James Buchanon, John Stuart, Joseph Gamwell, Adam Murray.
(369) Thos. Hughart, two tithables and 600 acres, added to tithables.
(369) Witnesses: Winifred and Robert Kinkead.
(369) Jurors: Patrick Evans, James and John Brown,, Wm. Willis.
(369) Witnesses: Thos. Kerr, Wm. Long, Saml. Wright.
(370) Witnesses: Wm. Brown, Walter Davis, Wm. Black, John Caldwell, John Long, Wm. Christian, Wm. Wright, Alexr. Long, John Black, Joseph Love.
(371) Thos. Bowyer authorized to repair the house he now lives in and be reimbursed by the County or out of the rents.
(371) Robert Cunningham exempted from County
levy--great age and infirmity.
(371) Saml. and James McDowell, John and Daniel Lyle, to view the old and new roads from Timber Ridge Meeting House to Isaac Taylor's.
(372) Jurors: Thos. Levasey, James Hill, John Francisco, John Clark, John Caldwell, Robt. Christian, Wm. Black, John Long, Robt. Clark, Alexr. Long, Thos. Black, Jonathan Douglas.
(372) Silas Hart qualified Justice.
(372) Witness: Walter Davis, John Stuart.
(373) Mary O'Donald qualified admx. of her deceased husband, Michael O'Donald. Appraisers, Isaac White, John McClure, Saml. and Wm. Black.
(374) Witnesses: John Murray, John Thompson, Mathew Reed.
(374) Hemp certificate: James Bell.
(377) George Skillern swore to list of delinquents. Francis Smith swore to list of delinquents.
(378) Nicholas Noll vs. John Craig.--Plaintiff's
death abates suit.
(382) Mary McClure vs. John and Charles Allison.--Abates by plaintiff's death.
(384) Stephen Conrad vs. George Hoffmans.--Abates by plaintiff's death.
(384) Margaret Barrier vs Isaac Burns.--Defendant returned no inhabitant.
(388) Alexr. Miller (Clerk) versus David Rice (Clerk).
(410) John Graham (Crooked), special bail.
(411) Wm Bedford vs. John Steel.--Abates by defendant's death.
(421) Mathew Lindsay, returned no inhabitant.
(422) Special bail: John Cawley, Robert Hartgrove.
(426) Special bail: Henry Enoch.
(431) Special bail: John Murray.
(432) Andrew Greer appointed surveyor of highway from John Harrison's, at the Big Spring, to the County Line.
(433) John and Wm Davis. Uriah Acres. James Roland--viewers.
(436) Jurors: Mathew Reed, John Francisco, John Clark, Archer Mathews, John Wallis, John Thompson, James Buchanan, Alexr. Thompson, John Bigham, Joseph Henderson, Thos. Rhoades, Michael Dickey.
(438) Witness: Francis Smith.
(441) Archd. Gilkeson appointed surveyor of highway, vice George Moffett.
(447) Juror: William West.
(449) Robert Hartgrove appointed Constable in Staunton.
(450) Witnesses: Samuel Henderson, John Seewright, Gawin Leeper, Michael Dickey, Margaret Leeper.
(451) Mathew Lindsey, returned no inhabitant.
(453) Witnesses: Jacob Arckenbright, John Fudge, Samuel Maggott.
(455) Mathew Mullen, returned no inhabitant.
(456) Francis Burk, returned no inhabitant.
(459) Elizabeth Stuart's (late Elizabeth Wallace) account of administration of Samuel Wallace's estate.
(468) Ordered that Thos. Lewis, Thos. Gorden and
Abraham Smith lay off dower of Margaret Gregg, late widow of
Arthur Johnston, deceased, in 237 acres of her late husband.
(469) Abraham Smith appointed guardian to Andrew Johnston, orphan of Arthur Johnston, to defend a suit brought by Bowyer.
(469) Euphemia Hughes appointed guardian ad litem of Euphemia, Jane and Mary Hughes, orphans and co-heirs of James Hughes.
(483) Order for summoning Wm. Thompson and John Buchanan continued. Order summoning Martha Bryan dismissed. Order summoning Joseph Bonsant, on complaint of Francis Viers, is dismissed. Order summoning Joseph Gamble continued. Order summoning John Cassaty dismissed. Order summoning Isabella and John Robinson continued. Order summoning Humphrey Baker discontinued.
(483) James Kennerley has leave to build a mill on his own land on South River.
(484) County levy.
(488) John Murray Montague, creditor of the County.
(489) Hemp certificates: Peachy Ridgeway Gilmore,
David Doak, John McKee, Jacob Anderson, Ro. Allison, Rob.
(490) Hemp certificates: John Patterson, John Moore, John Parks, Tim. Caul, Wm. McClellon, Wm. Bear, Wm. Campbell, Michael Coulter, Nathan Peoples, James McCrary, Rob. Whitley, James Hays.
(491) Hemp certificates: Jonathan Cunningham, James McCown, James Campbell, John Thompson, John Willey, Alexr. Deal, James Thompson, Thos. Kilpatrick, John Nickle.
(492) Hemp certificates: Moses Cunningham, David Robinson, William Robinson.
(492) James Hartgrove appointed Constable, vice Rob. Hartgrove.
(493) Lazarus Inman to work the road of which Robert Allen, Jr., is overseer.
(493) Hemp certificates: John Gilmer, John Walker, Peter Wallace, David McGee, John McClung, Andrew Larney.
(494) Hemp certificates: James McKee, Andrew Boyd, Alexr. Dunlap, John Campbell, James McCampbell, James McDowell, George Moffett, Andrew Mis Campbell, John Lyle.
|Email Web Editor||Instructions|
© Copyright 1996, USGenWeb
NOTICE: Material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation.
Page last updated: Tuesday, 02-Sep-1997 13:55:24 MDT