(288) Ann, wife of John Trimble, released dower in 200 acres--deed to James Elliot.
(288) Called Court os Jane Dove for murdering her
child--not guilty because insane.
(289) Agness Dean, admx. of husband, John Wilson.
(290) Mary Kelly, orphan of John Kelly, to be bound to John Malcolm.
(291) Administration of estate of James McDowell,
decd., granted his widow, Elizabeth, and his brother, Samuel.
(295) William and Michael Bowyer, John and Alexr. McClenachan, Daniel Smith, Samuel McDowell, Arcbibald Huston and Alexr. Thomson qualified Vestrymen.
(296) The orphans of Thomas Hackett, decd., in the
possession of their stepfather, Thomas Hackett, (?) to be bound
(301) Benjamin Lindon, son of Joseph Lindon, to be
bound to William Boone.--He agrees to give him when free a horse
and saddle, value £10; a suit of clothes, value £8, and two
(303) County levy.
(303) To Thomas Trimble, son of David.
(304) Euphemia Bowers (Bowen?) to be bound to Thomas Smith.
(306) The old Court House in which Alexr. St. Clair now lives, to be leased for 5 years.
(301) William Christian, security for Elizabeth
Bryan (widow and admx. of her husband, David Bryan, but since
intermarried with John Bowman), asks counter security.
(307) County levy is 2/6.
(307 William Christian, secunty for Margaret Robinson (widow and admx. of husband, Wm Robinson, but since intermarried with Saml. Wood).
(318) John Dailey--no inhabitant.
(319) James Moore--death abates suit.
(323) Andrew Buntin and John Smiley--no inhabitants.
(324) Court of Claims and Propositions and
(324) A certificate of Saml. McDowell to Wm. Gilmer for provisions for the Militia of Augusta and Botetourt ordered certified.--Same to John Thompson and Moses Cunningham.
(324) A certificate from Charles Lewis and John McClenachan to Wm. Shorp and Thomas Drinnen for services done by them--ordered certified.
(324) Claim of Charles Lewis and sundry other persons for services--certified.
(324) Petition for appointment of new trustees for town of Stauntoo ordered certified.
(326) Ann Heatherly, daughter of
Thomas Heatherly, to be bound to Alexr. St. Clair--her father
being unable to provide for her.
(326) See page 180A above.--Same
orders in both places.
(329) Hugh McGlaughlin, orphan of Hugh McGaughlin, aged 14, to be bound to John Hogshead, he teaching him the trade of a currier, farmer and shoemaker.
(329) Admn. of estate of Samuel McDonald granted his brother, Henry McDonald.
(331) Robert McNight to be bound to
James Hogshead, Jr.
(331) Patrick Boyd to be bound to John Crawford to learn trade of blacksmith.
(331) Ann Cafferty to be bound to John Askins.
(335) John Gratton qualified
(335) Margaret and James Ramsey to be bound out.
(335) Wm. Given's estate committed to John Carlile.
(331) John Lewis and John Lyle
(338) William Campbell, security for Mary Donald (admx. of husband, Michael O'Donald, since intennarried with John Adair), counter security.--Division between the orphans of Michael ordered.
(339) Rating of liquors.
(341) Letter from Wiat Coleman
authorizing the binding out of his son, Samuel Coleman, ordered
(346) Samuel Clark--no inhabitant.
(350) John Kerr's death abates suit.
(354) William McNabb-no inhabitant.
(354) Andrew Fitzpatrick--no inhabitant.
(361) William Gwinn's death abates suit.
(361) Mary Kettle to be bound.
(351) Sheriff to advertise repairing of jail and making a ducking stool.
(362) Oyer and Terminer on 2 slaves
for murdering Thomas Marmeon--guilty--to be hanged on 18th of
present month between 12 and 8--heads to be severed--one to be
affixed on a pole below the town near the road at the rocks and
the other near the road leading from Wm. Mitchell's to Staunton.
(364) James McCaumus and George Wallace to be bound out.
(365) Lewis Wamanstaff, aged 4 years, to be bound to Ludwick Wagoner.--The father has run away.
(366) Charlotte Rea to be bound out to David Robertson.
(366) Hannah McNeiley bound out.
(368) James McGlaughlin, son of Hugh
McGlaughlin, to be bound to James McVey, to learn trade of
(376) Following to be paid as
patrollers, viz: Valentine Cloninger, John Redpath, James
Culbertson, Thos. Smith, John Cawley, Thos. Rhoads, John Andrew,
Alexr. St. Clair, Christopher Graham.
(380) Alexr. Wright's death abates
(389) James McDonald's death abates suit.
(390) William Hamilton--no inhabitant.
(394) Joseph Currans--no inhabitant.
(396) New jail ordered to be built.
(397) Daniel Henderson's death abates suit.
(400) Barnard Moore qualified
(400) Admn. of estate of James Stuart committed to widow, Isabella.
(401) Admn. of Paul Shaver granted to widow, Elizabeth.
(402) Archibald Alexander qualified coroner.
(402) Admn. of Sebastian Neigley granted to John Shull.
(403) Admn. of Mark Swadley granted to Sebastian Hover.
(403) Michael and George Kentner naturalired.
(403) John Karr to be bound to Isaac Morrison.
(404) Jane Claypole, aged 18, orphan of William Claypole, chose John Gratton guardian.
(404) Admn. of Jacob Gillespy granted son, Jacob.
(404) John Gilmore, aged 14, orphan of Thomas Gilmore, chose John Gilmore and John Thompson guardians.
(408) John Lickings and Dorothy, late Dorothy Caplinger, widow of Samuel Caplinger.
(408) William Woolridge to be bound to William Reah.
(408) Admn. of Daniel Henderson granted to John Henderson.
(409) Charles Lewis qualified
Lieutenant Colonel of County.
(409) Robert Lyle bound over towards Moses Trimble to keep the peace, and his name stricken from the list of recommendations as Sheriff.
(409) George Moffett qualified Vestryman.
(410) Thomas Lorrimer's estate to be appraised.
(411) Charles O'Donald, aged 17, orphan of Michael O'Donald, chose Thomas Stuart guardian.
(424) Stephen Loy--no inhabitant.
(432) John Frogg to be paid for repairing the jail and building the ducking stool.
(432) Martha Mathews, orphan of Joshua Mathews, chose Sampson Mathews her guardian.
(435) Called Court on Frederick
Speer, charged with horse stealing--bound over to grand jury.
(436) Called Court on William Mosely
for larceny--sent to Williamsburg for trial.
(438) Admn. of Robert Hook, Jr.,
granted to his widow, Jane Hook, et al.
(438) Timothy Ryan being runaway, his children, viz: Mary, aged 8; Martha, aged 5, and Jeremiah, aged 2, to be bound out.
(438) Daniel Smith qualified Sheriff.
(438) Admn. of Wm. Sutlington granted to Andrew Sutlingon.
(439) Admn. of Jacob Roleman granted to Christian Roleman.
(439) Mary McCoy to be bound to William Wallace.
(443) Lettice Kilpatrick to be bound
to Thomas Kilpatrick.
(443) Francis Gardner appointed guardian to Francis and Samuel Gardner, orphans of Thomas Gardner.
(446) County levy.
(448) Mathias Lair vs. John
Gratton.--Order for leave to add Aaron Hughes and John Hughes as
(449) Robert Jordaine vs. James Cunningham.--Debt--judgment.
(450) Rachel Gibson vs. William
Briscoe.--Abates by plaintiff's marriage.
(453) John Dunlap vs. William Sutlington.--Abates by defendant's death.
(463) Michael Mallo vs. Valentine Maleer.--Abates by plaintiff's death.
(461) Michael Doyle--no inhabitant.
(461) County levy--2/4.
(470) Called Court on William
(410) Finis. Coronat. Opus. Opus triginta dierum.
W. URGUHORT, Scripsit. --------------------
|Email Web Editor||Instructions|
© Copyright 1996, USGenWeb
NOTICE: Material may be freely used by non-commercial entities, as long as this message remains on all copied material. These electronic pages cannot be reproduced in any format for profit or other presentation.
Page last updated: Tuesday, 02-Sep-1997 13:57:26 MDT