IGI has a Mary Draper m. W. J. Wheeler with son Arthur Wheeler b. 21jan1873, Pike Co., IL. This is very likely the same Mary Draper. I have not searched for this couple in the 1880 Pike Co. census to verify that Mary wife of W. J. is the same person as Mary the daughter of David Draper. Another Mary A. Draper is buried in Big Miller Cemetery, Pike Co., IL, b. 1861, d. 1932. This person is more likely the wife of David A. Draper Jr. b. 1862.
__ | _____________________| | | | |__ | _David Allen DRAPER _| | (1813 - 1875) m 1843| | | __ | | | | |_____________________| | | | |__ | | |--Mary Ann DRAPER | (1849 - ....) | __ | | | _John WHEELER _______| | | (.... - 1850) | | | |__ | | |_Minerva J. WHEELER _| (1825 - 1912) m 1843| | __ | | |_Mary _____ _________| (1787 - 1850) | |__
_____________________ | _David Allen DRAPER _| | (1813 - 1875) m 1843| | |_____________________ | _William S. DRAPER __| | (1844 - 1880) | | | _John WHEELER _______ | | | (.... - 1850) | |_Minerva J. WHEELER _| | (1825 - 1912) m 1843| | |_Mary _____ _________ | (1787 - 1850) | |--Minerva DRAPER | (1869 - ....) | _____________________ | | | _____________________| | | | | | |_____________________ | | |_Almina L. _____ ____| (1850 - ....) | | _____________________ | | |_____________________| | |_____________________
data from IGI.
LDS Ancestry File, source not listed there.
__ | _____________________| | | | |__ | _David Allen DRAPER _| | (1813 - 1875) m 1843| | | __ | | | | |_____________________| | | | |__ | | |--Minerva Isabelle DRAPER | (1860 - 1938) | __ | | | _John WHEELER _______| | | (.... - 1850) | | | |__ | | |_Minerva J. WHEELER _| (1825 - 1912) m 1843| | __ | | |_Mary _____ _________| (1787 - 1850) | |__
__ | _____________________| | | | |__ | _David Allen DRAPER _| | (1813 - 1875) m 1843| | | __ | | | | |_____________________| | | | |__ | | |--Riley DRAPER | (1868 - ....) | __ | | | _John WHEELER _______| | | (.... - 1850) | | | |__ | | |_Minerva J. WHEELER _| (1825 - 1912) m 1843| | __ | | |_Mary _____ _________| (1787 - 1850) | |__
__ | _____________________| | | | |__ | _David Allen DRAPER _| | (1813 - 1875) m 1843| | | __ | | | | |_____________________| | | | |__ | | |--Sidney F. DRAPER | (1853 - 1879) | __ | | | _John WHEELER _______| | | (.... - 1850) | | | |__ | | |_Minerva J. WHEELER _| (1825 - 1912) m 1843| | __ | | |_Mary _____ _________| (1787 - 1850) | |__
_____________________ | _David Allen DRAPER _| | (1813 - 1875) m 1843| | |_____________________ | _John C. DRAPER _____| | (1846 - 1880) | | | _John WHEELER _______ | | | (.... - 1850) | |_Minerva J. WHEELER _| | (1825 - 1912) m 1843| | |_Mary _____ _________ | (1787 - 1850) | |--Viola B. DRAPER | (1878 - 1879) | _____________________ | | | _____________________| | | | | | |_____________________ | | |_Catherine _____ ____| (1852 - ....) | | _____________________ | | |_____________________| | |_____________________
__ | _____________________| | | | |__ | _David Allen DRAPER _| | (1813 - 1875) m 1843| | | __ | | | | |_____________________| | | | |__ | | |--William S. DRAPER | (1844 - 1880) | __ | | | _John WHEELER _______| | | (.... - 1850) | | | |__ | | |_Minerva J. WHEELER _| (1825 - 1912) m 1843| | __ | | |_Mary _____ _________| (1787 - 1850) | |__
computed age at death given in bible record published by Indiana DAR differs by 2 days; date shown is from cemetery record.
still living - details excluded
She is mentioned early in 1648 as a sponsor at a baptism in the Eglise Réformée of Bischwiller as the daughter of the late Jean Drouin. Shortly after, the day after Easter, 1648, she married her first husband Israel Cugneau (Cugneaut, Guyneau, etc.). She married her second husband Jacob Bachoffen in the same church 26 dec 1654. By 1662 she had inherited from her step-mother, "Clartrinna" widow of Jean Drouin, and on that occasion a petition from the seigneur of Olwisheim, Jacob von Berstett, was necessary in order to avoid taxes on the estate levied by the authorities at Bischwiller. Jacob Bachoffen is always referred to in the records of the Eglise Réformée of Bischwiller as Jacob "du Four", but the petition of 1662 leaves no doubt that this is the same couple.
__ | __| | | | |__ | _Jean DROUIN ________| | (.... - 1648) | | | __ | | | | |__| | | | |__ | | |--Elisabetha DROUIN | (.... - 1667) | __ | | | __| | | | | | |__ | | |_____________________| | | __ | | |__| | |__
__ | __| | | | |__ | _Jean DROUIN ________| | (.... - 1648) | | | __ | | | | |__| | | | |__ | | |--Jean DROUIN | (1620 - 1690) | __ | | | __| | | | | | |__ | | |_____________________| | | __ | | |__| | |__
still living - details excluded
_______________________________ | _________________________________| | | | |_______________________________ | _William DRURY ________| | | | | _______________________________ | | | | |_________________________________| | | | |_______________________________ | | |--Sarah Megan DRURY | | _______________________________ | | | _Frederick Molyneux HACKNEY _____| | | | | | |_______________________________ | | |_Sybil Jeanne HACKNEY _| | | _Osborne Victor MAUDE-ROXBY ___ | | m 1919 |_Sylvia Norah Grace MAUDE-ROXBY _| | |_Sibell Norah Garteret ACLAND _+ (1892 - 1949) m 1919
still living - details excluded
_______________________________ | _________________________________| | | | |_______________________________ | _William DRURY ________| | | | | _______________________________ | | | | |_________________________________| | | | |_______________________________ | | |--William Benjamin DRURY | | _______________________________ | | | _Frederick Molyneux HACKNEY _____| | | | | | |_______________________________ | | |_Sybil Jeanne HACKNEY _| | | _Osborne Victor MAUDE-ROXBY ___ | | m 1919 |_Sylvia Norah Grace MAUDE-ROXBY _| | |_Sibell Norah Garteret ACLAND _+ (1892 - 1949) m 1919
He may have left descendants. A document of Jean Chalon, notary at Lutry (FHL microfilm #0910193), concerns a sale by "Eg. Etienne du Truyct de St. Paul et bourgeois de Lutry, to Proveable et Discret François Gachet, bourgeois de Payerne, son prochain parent et cusin maternel" (20 nov 1549). St. Paul turns out to be on the south side of Lake Geneva, not far from Evian. Other documents give this Etienne a brother Claude, and by 1571, we find the same François Gachet purchasing from Noble François Du Truyt of "St. Paul sus Aevian", the half interest in a vineyard and other property at Lutry that they owned jointly (18 sep 1571, Simon Pierre Chalon, notary, ACV DI 22/2, fol. 39-40r). In this transaction, the rights to the property involved Jeanne Joli, mother of François Du Truyt, and his brother Claude. Also involved in the title to the property was Jean Amied Gachet, brother of François. The brothers François and Claude mentioned in 1571 were probably the sons of the Egrège Etienne mentioned in 1549, in turn a son of one of the brothers of Aymo de Torculari.
The list of those assessed for the "taille" or special tax of 1550 in the bailliage of Lausanne (ACV Bp 13) shows, among those who were not living in the area but who owned property in the vicinity of Lutry, the heirs of "Claude du Truyl", the assessment cancelled because the heirs were residents of the "seignurie de Valleis". This record may turn out to be misleading, and there is no mention of the Gachet family which should also have been on the list, although they would have been exempt by virtue of their citizenship at Payerne.
The most likely interpretation of these references is that the "cousins" of the mother of François Gachet were sons of Johannes de Torculari and not of the present Stephanus de Torculari. If that conclusion is correct, then the only reference to Stephanus so far known is the testament of his brother Aymonet de Torculari.
__ | __| | | | |__ | ______ DE TORCULARI _| | | | | __ | | | | |__| | | | |__ | | |--Etienne (Stephanus) DU TRUICT | | __ | | | __| | | | | | |__ | | |_____________________| | | __ | | |__| | |__
Identified in the testament of Aymo du Truict, 16 jul 1513. Possibly the same person as the Johannes de Torculari clericus et burgensis Paterniaci mentioned in a document of Pierre Moron (père) dated 09 oct 1470, unless that Johannes is actually the father of Aymo.
Either this Jean or his brother Stephanus (Etienne) is probably the father of the "Egrège Estienne du Truict de Sainct Paul et bourgeois de Lustrier demorant à Montignier, seignorie de Marcille" who sold on 20 nov 1549 to François Gachet of Payerne "son proche parent et cusin maternel" property adjacent to the heirs of the late Claude Du Truyct, ratified by his (Estienne's?) wife Pernette, daughter of the late Jean Prevost (Jean Chalon, notary at Lutry). The relationship of cousin is a "maternal" one, through the mother of François, but since his mother had no brothers, the relationship must be more distant than a first cousin. If we have interpreted the relationships correctly from other records, Claude and Estienne du Truict would be first cousins of the mother of François—is this what was intended by the term "cousin maternel"? After consulting with Pierre-Yves Favez of the ACV, we can now identify the places: "Montignier" is apparently not Montagny-sur-Lutry, where the château was later in the hands of the Gatschet family of Bern, but rather Montigny in Chablais, across from Lutry on the other side of Lake Geneva. While there was a parish of St. Paul within the limits of Lausanne, not too far from Lutry, it is the village of St. Paul in Chablais that is intended here, in the seigneurie of Maxilly (derived from Latin Marcellius, explaining the spelling Marcille—we first read the name as Marcihle, but M. Favez, recognizing the ensemble of place names, determined that the name was first written by the notary as Marcigle, and then corrected to Marcille, leaving a word that looks very much like Marcihle). Thus, Estienne Dutruict was a notary living at Montigny in 1549, although he was also a citizen of Lutry. The phrase "de Saint Paul" could indicate that he was a native of that place, but the existence of earlier documents suggests that we may need to be open to other interpretations.
A notation dated the Tuesday after Saint François, 1523 (the feast of St. Francis of Assisi is October 4th, which fell on a Sunday in 1523, so the date of the document is 06 oct 1523), on the back of the reconnaissance of 1470 by Petrus de Sancto Amore (ACLutry Noir C 81), says that Glaudius and Stephanus de Torculari acknowledged owing payments to the Confrérie du Saint Esprit of Lutry. The property in question was subject to the Confrérie of the Holy Spirit of Lutry. The Confréries would have compiled a list of such properties—a "terrier"—about once a generation, and such a list may have survived. Other documents at the same archives, 1482-1485, show that the commune had dealings with a Jean Dutruit of St. Prex (or, could this be a misreading of St. Paul?).
Therefore, even though Estienne was living and working in Chablais, it is possible his family originated at St. Prex in the Pays de Vaud. In 1549, Maxilly was apparently Protestant, having fallen under the control of Bern in 1536. Montignier was an annex of the parish of Lugrin until the French Revolution. It remained Catholic, since all of this region apart from Maxilly had been occupied by Valais in 1536.
The terrier ACV FF 166, for property subject to the former Priory of Lutry, contains a "reconnaissance" for Samuel d'Erlach in the name of his children by his late wife Magdelaine Gachet (fol. 247). Dated 02 nov 1621, it shows that Noble Samuel d'Erlach bourgeois de la ville de Berne Seigneur de Pimpletz (=Bumplitz), tant à son nom que de ses enfans euz de feue Damoiselle Magdelaine Gaschet sa premiere femme, recognized property that had previously been recognized by Claude et Estienne du Truict (in a terrier compiled by Jean Gignilliat), and before that (in a terrier compiled by Pierre Marchand) by Noble Jehan Dutruict, "en Gravesse autrement en Cuen Neyr", la moytié devers occident of vines, jouxte l'autre moytié des enfans de Jaques Davel nouvellement partie de la present devers orient, vines of the ville de Lustrier et celles de Pierre du Plaict devers occident, N. Petter de Praroman de la part dessus, et plusieurs contours de vigne soit ung chemin publicq de la part dessoubz. Another property was "en Combarbey" jouxte Claude Marsens devers orient, Nosdictz Seigneurs à cause de l'Abbay d'Aulcrest devers occident, certain de riere Villette que fut de Jehan Branche devers bize, riaux devers vent. Another was "en Collonges" pour la moytié devers bize, jouxte l'autre moytié de Pierre Crausaz nouvellement partie devers vent, sentier publicq devers orient, Noz Seigneurs à cause de l'aumosnerie du prioré de Lustrier devers occident, Micher Vuagiere de la part dessus. Another was "au territoire de Savuit" (this ends a group of properties apparently all from the Dutruict family).
It is apparent that the Estienne and Claude Dutruict mentioned in 1523 are the same Estienne and Claude who had made the reconnaissance for Jean Gignilliat (circa 1540, based on the names of other people mentioned in FF 166). Further, we surmise that Claude had died by 1549, and probably without descendants, when Estienne sold his property to François Gachet. Since the property circa 1510 had been in the hands of Jean Dutruict, the simplest explanation is that Jean Dutruict, brother of Aymo de Torculari, was succeeded about 1523 by his sons Claude and Estienne, who would have been first cousins once removed of François Gachet. Or, put another way, they were first cousins of François Gachet's mother.
The terrier of Jean Gignilliat is certainly AVL C 318, "terrier fait par Jean Gignillat à cause du prieuré de Lutry" containing reconnaissances dating from 1538 to 1546, an old but complete copy by Nicolas Bulet of the original, now incomplete, ACV Ff 76bis. The reconnaissance for "Nobles Claude et Estienne Dutruyct filz de feuz Noble Jehan dou Truyct de Sainct Pol [=Paul], oultre le lac" is dated 12 oct 1538 (AVL C 318, fol. 1). The terrier by Pierre Marchand might be the one now identified as ACV Ff 33, dating from about 1502-1512, with similar information mentioned in passing in Ff 32bis, which, however, proves to be incomplete and which does not contain such a reconnaissance, although it does mention Johannes de Torculari once as an owner of adjacent property (fol. 98v, this property previously held by Petrus de Sancto Amore, see below). Pierre Marchand compiled several other terriers, which have not yet been examined in detail, though we have analyzed some of the indexes.
Another terrier, Ff 112, for the former Evêché de Lausanne, contains a reconnaissance for the city of Payerne for property in the vicinity of Lutry (fol. 707v, dated 16 feb 1586), in which some of the adjacent properties are attributed to the Dutruict family. Among others, one "en Grand Pont" was adjacent to the "enfans de Jehan du Truict heretier de Pierre de Sainct Amour". This passage suggests that Jean Dutruict was either a descendant of, or had married a daughter of, Noble Pierre de Saint-Amour, who is mentioned 17 may 1469 as a resident of Lutry (Ernest Chavannes, "Extraits des manuaux de conseil de Lausanne (1383 à 1511)", Mémoires et documents publiés par la Société d'histoire de la Suisse Romande, 35:121-242, 1881, see page 153-154). Saint Amour is today a domaine and vineyard near Savigny, in the commune of Lutry. The archives of Lutry contain a document dated 27 feb 1470, in which Pierre de Saint-Amour sells property subject to the Confrérie du Saint Esprit de Lutry, at Savuit, "en Gravesses", that had been leased by the Confrérie to his father (ACLutry Noir C 81). This is the same property for which Claude and Estienne Dutruict later guaranteed payment of taxes to the Confrérie in 1523. A compiled account of the Saint-Amour family is among the papers of Benjamin Dumur (ACV P Dumur 65/42, not yet examined).
ACV C 318 gives just enough information to put us on the right track: Claude and Estienne are the sons of the late Noble Jehan "dou Truyct" of St. Paul "outre le lac", who previously recognized these properties for a terrier compiled by Pierre Marchand. The properties had come from his wife, Pernette daughter of the late Noble Pierre de Sainct-Amour.
The reconnaissance for Pierre Marchand is in the terrier Ff 33, fol. 150, dated 23 sep 1508, for Egregius Johannes de Torculari de Sancto Paulo ultra lacum, acting for his children Claudius and Stephanus, whose mother Perroneta de Sancto-Amore, daugther of the late Petrus de Sancto-Amore, has died. While this document does not reveal the name of his father, it does help establish a little more about Johannes himself. Many parcels are enumerated, subject to the Priory of Lutry, and of course it is possible, or even likely, that other terriers from the same period will reveal additional properties subject to other entities.
The de Blonay family, well known in the Pays de Vaud, was perhaps even more important on the other side of the lake. Among other properties, they held the seigneuries of Saint-Paul and Maxilly. The papers of the de Blonay family are now housed at the Archives Cantonales Vaudoises (permission for access is required, see below). Among this huge collection (ACV PP 637) is one item that directly concerns Jean du Truict: PP 637 S/13/3/014, "Quittance de lods par Jean-François de Blonay, seigneur de Maxilly, à Jean de Torculari, notaire, pour une vigne vendue par Louis Brotier au prix de 100 florins", dates indicated as 12 mar 1512 to 10 apr 1522. The original transaction was dated 1512, and the lods (a sort of real estate transfer tax) due for this transaction were paid in 1522. The same collection contains about a dozen minutaires from a later notary Jean Dutruil, 1570-1618 (PP 637 W/3), papers relating to a dispute between Jean-François de Blonay, Seigneur de Saint-Paul, and Michel Dutruil, about "le paiement des dîmes du prieuré de Saint-Paul" possibly as late as 1642 (PP 637 S/15/4/012), etc. There is also (PP 637 A/35) a "Grosse de reconnaissances du prieuré de Saint-Paul" from 1583, and (PP 637 S/14/4/029) a "Cahier démembré d'une grosse de reconnaissances (?) passées en faveur de Gabriel de Blonay (?), seigneur de Saint-Paul", from 1553. (The conditions for access to the Blonay papers as stated in the inventory of the ACV: "Le fonds est consultable pour des recherches universitaires uniquement, sur autorisation écrite de la déposante, représentée par le président du Conseil de la déposante ou, à son défaut, par un autre membre du dudit Conseil. A titre exceptionnel, le fonds est consultable par le public, sur requête préalable écrite et dûment motivée, sur autoritsation écrite de la déposante, représentée par les personnes prénommées.")
The catalogue of the ACV shows two documents pertaining to the Saint-Amour family (ACV C XVI 237/1 and 2), not otherwise described except for their dates. The first of these proves to be the testament of Petrus de Sancto-Amore, 02 jan 1477, mentioning, among others, his daughter Peronneta. The second document, dated 02 mar 1496, involves financial arrangements by Johannes de Torculari and his wife Peronneta relating to a bequest in the testament of her father benefitting the priory of Lutry. In this document, the name "Torculari" is variously abbreviated by omitting one or more vowels and writing a stroke extending above the name, indicating that it has been abbreviated: Torclri, or Torculri. Thus, we read "Ego Johannes de Torclri. de Aquiano notarius virque Nobilis Peronete filie nobilis Petri de Sancto Amore de Lustriaco Domicelli". The place name could equally well be read as Agniano, Aquiavo, Aguiano, Aguiavo, Agmano, Agmavo, etc., due to the ambiguity of the script. Among other difficulties, the scribe (possibly de Torculari himself?) does not dot the letter "i". What can we conclude about the place name? In medieval Latin, the old, classical usage of the genitive case was replaced by the use of the preposition "de" with the place name in the ablative case. If Agniano is in the ablative case, then the name must be treated as a second declension masculine or neuter noun, of which the nominative form would most likely be Aquianus or Aquianum. Searching on Google for these alternatives, we found Aquianum, the Latin name for Evian-les-Bains, the source of the famous mineral waters, in the shores of Lake Geneva, only a few kilometers from St.Paul-en-Chablais, and thus directly across the lake from Lutry. The significance of this discovery is that Evian was apparently not under the control of the de Blonay family, suggesting that other repositories should be investigated.
__ | __| | | | |__ | ______ DE TORCULARI _| | | | | __ | | | | |__| | | | |__ | | |--Jean DU TRUICT | (.... - 1538) | __ | | | __| | | | | | |__ | | |_____________________| | | __ | | |__| | |__
He was bailli at Gessenay and Yverdon, and served on various missions from Their Excellencies of Bern.
He purchased the Château de Montagny at Lutry, probably from the heirs of Niklaus Gatschet the younger. This property became part of the dowry of Suzanna Dübi in her marriage to Daniel Gatschet in 1647. The archives of Cully report a document (5 E 233) in which Elizabeth "Pachet" and her children sell "le vieux château de Montagny" to Jean Rodolphe Düby, 11 sep 1639. Since Montagny is known to have been in the hands of the Augsburger family in the 16th Century, it seems most likely that it next belonged to Niklaus Gatschet by virtue of his marriage in 1599 to Anna Augsburger. We surmise that it remained with the heirs of Niklaus until it was sold by his daughter Elizabeth in 1639, and that her name has been transcribed in error in the inventory of the archives of Cully. If this hypothesis is correct, an examination of the records of Cully and Lutry might be worthwhile.
__ | __| | | | |__ | _Hans Rudolph DÜBI __| | (.... - 1650) | | | __ | | | | |__| | | | |__ | | |--Susanne DÜBI | | __ | | | __| | | | | | |__ | | |_Ursula TILLIER _____| | | __ | | |__| | |__
Back to Main Page
Send E-mail to Author