Gunnison County Logo

             GUNNISON COUNTY TOWNS AND MINING CAMPS

Town Dates Comments
Abbeyville 1882-1884 formerly Hillerton, 2 mi N of Tin Cup, abandoned. Founded by C.F. Abbey.
Aberdeen 1890-1891 7 mi SW of Gunnison
Allen 1881-1892 stagestop, formerly Barnum, located at confluence of Indian Creek and Lake Fork of the Gunnison River, PO moved to nearby Gateview in 1892
Almont 1882-1913 formerly Fisher's Ranch
Alpine Station on W end of Alpine Tunnel, RR facility for workers servicing the tunnel. All buildings but the depot were destroyed by fire in 1906. Although parts of the town were rebuilt, the railroad tunnel was abandoned in 1910. The Forest Services maintains an informational display for visitors.
Anthracite 1887-1947 Ghost Town aka Smith Hill and Cloud City, coal mining camp N of Crested Butte servicing Smith Hill Mine. 6 men were killed in an 1883 avalanche. Several building remain.
Argenta 1880-1881 renamed Tomichi
Ashcroft 1880-1912 formerly Chloride
Aspen 1880-Present now in Pitkin Co.
Bacon ghost town NE of Almont
Baldwin 1883-1949 the name Baldwin applied to 3 distinct places which were near each other. Baldwin the RR stop became Castleton.
Baldwin (New) 1884-1949 serviced the Mount Carbon and Alpine coal Mines, renamed Mount Carbon
Baldwin (Old) 1883-? Company town owned by Rocky Mtn Fuel Company which serviced the Baldwin Coal Mine. When the mine was abandoned so was the town and so was the name. New Baldwin took the name.
Bardine 1903-1908 RR stop close to Somerset
Barnum 1876-1881 stagestop at confluence of Indian Creek and Lake Fork of Gunnison River, renamed Allen in 1881 when Benjamin Allen purchased the ranch. Later the post office was moved a short distance away to Gateview.
Belleview 1880-1881 mining camp 2 mi from Gothic, abandoned
Bittner 1905-?
Bogan's Camp small way station for teamsters in Spring Creek Canyon equi-distant between Moscow and Almont
Bonita NW of Doyleville, RR siding on Marshall Pass
Bowerman 1903-1910 Bowerman was a town founded upon a hoax. JC Bowerman announced in 1903 that he had discovered huge amounts of gold in Hot Springs Creek above Waunita Hot Springs. The town was abandoned after the hoax was discovered. Some ruins remain along FR 763. It was also known as Nugget City and Camp Bowerman.
Bowman 1880-1915 formerly Grandville, stage stop on Taylor Pass. It was renamed Bowman when John Bowman ran the site. Abandoned.
Braddock camp NE of Almont
Cameltown 1881 Founded by Al Campbell, it was located 2 mi E of Carter Mine on Gold Creek, destroyed when mine was expanded, aka Campbelltown
Cameron 1893-1920 mining camp, renamed Spencer
Cameville 1882-1890
Camp Bowerman See Bowerman
Camp Creek 1894 aka Vulcan
Camp Crescent 1881 Short lived mining camp at the base of Granite Mountain on South Quartz Creek.
Camp Genter 1925-1930 abandoned
Camp Harbert 1880 renamed Forest Hill
Camp Sterling ?-1904 Ghost Town located near Bowerman and named after founder K.C. Sterling
Camp Willard 1880-1881 Founded by gold prospectors Willard Frances and H.C. Nicholas on Cochetopa Creek. The ore turned out to be low grade and the site was abandoned.
Castleton 1882-1894 Coal town at confluence of Carbon Creek and Ohio Creek.
Cebolla 1888-1935 site now under Blue River Mesa
Cebolla Hot Springs Located next to Powderhorn. It was founded by AJ Store who built a hotel and bathhouses at the site.
Chair Creek at junction of Chair Creek and Crystal River
Chance 1894-1901 Abandoned mining camp in Southern Gunnison County near Saguache County line.
Chaney 1892-1894
Chipeta 1881-1882 renamed Naturita
Chloride 1881-1882

formerly Ashcroft & renamed Ashcroft again

Citizen camp near Baldwin
Clarence 1881-1892 Located at the junction of Carbonate Creek and Rock Creek, next to the town of Marble, and in 1890 the two towns merged into Marble. It was founded by John Mobley and William Mason.
Claud W of Crested Butte, may be same as Cloud City
Cloud City See Anthracite, 4 miles from Crested Butte, may be same as Claud
Cochitopa Ute Agency E of Gunnison
Conger camp on Spring Creek NE of Almont
Cookville on D&RGW RR, SE of Crooksville
Cooper's Camp NE of Crested Butte
Copperville 1897 at mouth of Rudolph Gulch along Cebolla Creek, abandoned. Serviced the Cashier copper mine. No buildings remain.
Cosden 1883-1893 Formerly Wagon Town, Healsburg, El Tinjos, and Redwood. It was stage station at junction of Canyon Creek and Tomichi Creek. The remains of the old smelter can still be seen.
Cotterville 1880-1883 renamed Garfield
Cox 1903-1905
Crested Butte 1879-Present Crested Butte, coal mining town founded by Howard F. Smith and his partners. The coal was used to fire the Colorado Fuel and Iron Smelter in Pueblo. The last coal mine shut down in the 1960s. Crested Butte began a new era as a ski resort when the first gondola built in 1962.
Crookstown 1904-1906 D&RGW RR station 24 miles from Gunnison
Crookstown / Crooksville 1878-1885, 1904-1906 D&RGW RR station 24 miles from Gunnison. Founded by Cyrus Crooks. Also known as Crookstown and Crookston. Contained a section house, water tank, Post Office and School.
Crystal 1881-1909 It began as a silver mining camp and its power plant supplied the Sheep Mountain Tunnel. It is accessible by a poor, nail-biting 4 wheel drive road from Marble. The power plant is one of the most photographed structures in Colorado. See it's photograph at the top of this page. In 1884 a Mr. Howell began the first marble quarry near Crystal. Some structures have been restored for seasonal use.
Curran 1880-1880
Dayton 1897-1911 located S of Gateview along Lake Fork of Gunnison River, RR stop and post office.
Del Dorita 1882-1883 mining camp on Deldorado Creek, 1 mi E of White Earth. The town was abandoned after 1 year.
Delta 1882-Present now in Delta Co.
Denny's 1879 aka Willis, abandoned
Dinner Station 1880s abandoned
Dollard 1960s-Present NW of Gunnison
Dorchester 1896-1912 formerly Taylor City, on Taylor Pass, 2 miles below Bowman. Serviced the Star Mine and Enterprise Mine. In 1900 it was a stopping place for travelers coming from Aspen via Taylor Pass. Abandoned.
Doyleville 1876-1969 Named for homesteader Henry Doyle. It was briefly named Gilman, stage stop for Barlow & Sanderson stage, RR stop on Marshall Pass
Drake 1881-1882
Drew 1884-1886
Dubois 1892-1910 on Goose Creek NW of Powderhorn, formerly called Goose Creek. Abandoned.
Eagle City renamed Ohio City
El Tinjos 1883-1893 renamed Cosden
Elgin 1882-1885 PO moved to Waunita
Elk Creek
Elkhorn
Elko 1874-1901 mining camp, near Schofield and Elko Lake on South Fork of Crystal River. Founded by Willis McGlothlen. Also called Golconda. Served the Golconda Mine, Slim Jim Mine, Duke of Wellington, Hard Cash and Pride of Cinnamon Mines.
Elko 1881-1884 RR siding on Marshall Pass for loading hay and lumber
Elkton 1881-1893 Silver mining camp at head of Washington Gulch, N of Crested Butte. It was founded by prospectors M.J. Gray and Joseph McCay. At some point in its history it burned. It is still occupied by seasonal residents.
Emma 1881-1882
Fisher's Ranch 1882-1913 became Almont
Floresta 1880-1918 founded as Ruby-Anthracite, renamed Floresta in 1901, abandoned
Forest Hill 1881-1920 formerly Camp Harbert, on Trail Creek W of Taylor Park road, abandoned. Founded by Marion Harbert.
Fortch's on Crystal River
Floresta 1897-1919 Originally called Ruby - Anthracite. Located west of Crested Butte in the Anthracite Creek area. A narrow gauge rail was built from Crested Butte to the site to haul coal. The town name changed when the Ruby-Anthracite mine closed and the Floresta Mine opened in 1901. Some ruins remain and the site is accessible by foot along the old rail line.
Fulton 1894 aka Vulcan
Galena 1880 mining camp 3/4 mi N of Schofield Pass
Garfield City 1880-1883 formerly Cotterville, 4 mi S of Virginia City, burned
Gateview 1892-1895 formerly Allen, stagestop on Lake Fork of Gunnison River, superseded by Dayton.
Gilman 1882-1883

formerly Doyleville & renamed Doyleville again

Glacier Siding 1914-1915
Glenwood 1876-1884 near headwaters of Tomichi Creek, 1/2 mi above town of Tomichi, wiped out in 1884 avalanche
Gold Creek aka Ohio City
Gold Link ?-1913 mining camp 1 mi N of Raymond Mine, near Ohio City
Goose Creek renamed Dubois
Gothic 1879-1914 mining town on East River N of Crested Butte. President Grant visited the town in 1880. Gothic was all but abandoned by 1914 and had only 1 resident, Garwood H. Judd. In 1928 town was purchased and restored by Dr. John C. Johnson and the Rocky Mtn Biological Laboratory.
Grandville became Bowman
Grand Junction 1882-Present

formerly Ute, now in Mesa Co.

Gunnison 1876-Present Gunnison, formerly Richardson's Colony
Haig RR siding on Marshall pass, used by Trinchera Lumber Co
Halls 8 miles W of Gunnison
Haverly 1880-1880
Hawxhurst 1882-1892 now in Mesa Co.
Healsburg 1883-1893 renamed Cosden
Hidalgo 1881 abandoned, just N or Pittsburgh
Hillerton 1879-1882 located 2 mi N of Tin Cup, became Abbeyville. Named after Edwin H Hiller. Most building were eventually moved to Abbeyville or Tin Cup.
Holland at junction of Milton Creek and Crystal River
Hopewell Located on Coal Creek north of Kebler Pass in the Ruby Gulch area.
Hotchkiss 1882 now in Delta Co.
Howeville 1879-1904 became Jack's Cabin
Iola 1896-1963 The buildings and PO were moved from Kezar in 1896. It became a resort on the Gunnison River and had a RR stop. It has now been buried under Blue Mesa Reservoir.
Iris 1894-1902 formerly Union Hill, mining camp located just over the border in Saguache County.
Irwin 1879-1890 Founded by 2 mining engineers, Irwin was located a quarter-mile from Ruby City. For awhile the towns were called Ruby-Irwin and finally just Irwin.By 1883 only the Forest Queen, Bullion King and Ruby Chief mines were still producing. Located on Coal Creek north of Kebler Pass in the Ruby Gulch area.
Jacks Cabin 1909-1918 formerly Howeville
Jackson 1873-1893
Kannah 1882-1882
Kebler ?-1917 lumber camp on Ohio Pass road at base of Kebler Pass. Nothing remains.
Kezar 1882-1896 formerly Stevens, PO moved to Iola
Kubler 1881-1946 mining camp SW of Crested Butte, near mine of same name.
Lake City Junction
Lake's Camp See North Star.
Lawrence 1883-1884

PO moved to Dallas, now in Ouray Co.

Lodge 1911-1920
Lorraine 1903-1906 Abandoned, 1 mi S of Bowerman. It probably began as a result of the same hoax that started Bowerman.
Los Pinos 1877-1881

PO moved from Uncompaghre, now in Montrose Co.

Madera Siding
Maple Leaf ?-1907 The Maple Leaf Mine is located just north of Sillsville on the east side Colo 114. It had a bunkhouse, boarding house and a stamp mill. Abandoned
Marble 1890-1942

Located on the confluence of Carbonate Creek and the Crystal River west of Redstone. Early miners in the area, including Sylvester Richardson and George Yule had noticed that the claims along Yule Creek had marble ceilings. The town was laid out by William Woods and William Parry. Formerly called Yule Creek. In 1885 the first marble quarrying operations began on Yule Creek, however they were on a small scale until the arrival of the railroad from Carbondale in 1906. The quarry provided the marble for the Colorado State Capitol, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the Lincoln Memorial. Operations ceased in 1941. In 1990 operations resumed. Marble is accessible by paved county highway and is still inhabited.

Marshalltown 1880 renamed Sargents
Maurice mining camp near Marble
Midway 1894-1902 mining camp on Willow Creek between Spencer and Vulcan.
Minaret 1890-1896
Minersville 1861 abandoned, on E side of Anthracite Mesa in Washington Gulch, below Painter Boy mine, near Elkton
Montrose 1882-Present now in Montrose Co.
Morris 1886-1935 Mr. Horne and Mr. Mallette founded the town in 1886 and developed the Old Lot mining claim. It is located at junction of highway 149 and 27RD near Powderhorn, aka Tucker.
Moscow 1881-1952 formerly Turner, on Spring Creek, mining camp supporting Doctor Mine, abandoned.
Mount Carbon 1884-1909 It was located on Ohio Creek NW of Castleton. Founded by William Hinds as a coal mining camp servicing the Mount Carbon and Alpine Mines, It was burned and abandoned. Later the mine was re-opened as the Alpine Mine. After the mine at "Old" Baldwin closed, the town of Mount Carbon and/or Alpine was re-named Baldwin (New). It closed for good in 1946. Some buildings remain.
Naturita 1882-Present

formerly Chipeta, now in Montrose Co.

North Star 1889-1894 formerly Lake's Camp, abandoned. Founded by Henry Lake. Serviced the North Star and May-Mazeppa mines. Abandoned.
Northstar 1900-1903
Nugget City See Bowerman
Nugget City 1895-1898 renamed Toliafero, on Goose Creek near Dubois, abandoned
Oh-Be-Joyful 1880-1882 Located on Oh-Be-Joyful Creek N of Crested Butte, renamed Tucson
Ohio City 1880 Located on the rail line between the Alpine Tunnel and Gunnison. It was also known as Gold Creek and Eagle City, located at confluence of Gold and Quartz Creeks. By the 1940s only 50 or so people remained. It is now occupied seasonally.
Old Man's Cabin 1879 aka Willis, abandoned
Oliver NW corner of County, RR stop
Omega abandoned
Orson 1882-1883
Oversteg 1882-1905
Paonia 1882-Present now in Delta Co.
Paradox 1882 now in Montrose Co.
Parlin 1877 formerly Tumichi, name changed to Parlin in 1880, stage station and transfer point for RR on Marshall Pass. Founded by John Parlin.
Petersburg 1880-1881 renamed Spring Creek City
Pieplant 1896-1910 Mining camp located in Taylor Creek drainage off FR742, founded by James Jenkins and John Lynch. Several buildings remain
Pitkin 1879

Gold and Silver mining camp on Quartz Creek. It was formerly called Quartz & Quartzville. It was also a rail stop on the line between Gunnison and the Alpine Tunnel. The town burned in 1989 and 1903. It is now a fish hatchery. Visit town link at left.

Pittsburgh 1881-1896 silver mining camp N of Crested Butte on Slate Creek. It served the Augusta, Black Queen and Excelsior Mines. It now has some new homes.
Powderhorn 1876-1881 Located 1.5 miles northwest of White Earth on Cebolla Creek. It was also a stage stop.
Prospect 1886-1890

at junction of Rapid Creek and Crystal River, 3 miles from Marble.

Providence 1898-1900 abandoned
Quarry Town Worker camp at the Yule Creek White Marble quarry.
Quartz 1879-1934 located near confluence of Middle and North Quartz Creek, abandoned, no buildings remain.
Quartzville 1879-1879 renamed Pitkin
Ragged Mountain 1919-1956 SW of McClure Pass
Red Mountain 1880-1881
Redwood 1883-1893 renamed Cosden
Richardson 1882 in Ohio Creek Valley, renamed Baldwin, then Castleton. Named for Sylvester Richardson who began a coal mine in the area.
Richardson's Colony renamed Gunnison
Roaring Fork 1880-1880
Rood City 1880-1881 renamed Spring Creek City
Ruby 1879-1895

formerly Haverly and Silver Gate, became Haverly again

Ruby City Founded by land promoter Charlie Chrispher, it was located only a quarter mile from Irwin, it was also known for awhile as Ruby-Irwin. Eventually it became part of Irwin. See Irwin.
Sage 1880-1882
Sandy Hook mining camp on Gold Creek near Ohio City
Sapinero 1882-1986 formerly Soap Creek, site now under Blue Mesa Resv., town was moved above the waterline.
Sargents 1880 formerly Marshalltown, RR stop on Marshall Pass, containing a roundhouse and depot, actually in Saguache County. Named for founder Joseph Sargent. In 1909 the town burned and little remains.
Schofield 1879-1885 mining camp, 14 mi SE of Marble on South Fork of Crystal River. Named for B.F. Schofield. Also called Scofield. 1 building remains.
Sheep Mtn aka Snowmass City
Sherrod 1903-1906 Abandoned mining camp named for W.H. Sherrod, aka Camp Sherrod & Sherrod Switch, on RR switchback to Alpine Tunnel, 1 cabin remains
Sidney 1881-1882 now in Pitkin Co.
Sillsville 1903-1910 Abandoned Mining camp servicing Sillsville mine, on Cochetopa Creek just north of Camp Willard. Ruins remain and can be seen from Colo 114.
Silver Center aka Snowmass City
Silver Gate Located on Coal Creek north of Kebler Pass in the Ruby Gulch area.
Smith Hill 1876 aka Anthracite
Snowmass City 1880-1886 aka Silver Center and Sheep Mtn, 1.5 mi N of Crystal
Soap Creek See Sapinero
Somerset 1903 NW of Gunnison on Hwy. 133, RR town
Spencer 1893-1920 mining camp, formerly Cameron, abandoned. Located at head of Wildcat Gulch and just west of Colorado 149.
Spring Creek City 1880-1881 mining camp on Spring Creek, aka Rood City and Petersburg. Serviced one of Gunnison County's largest lead-silver claims - the Doctor Mine.
Standish 1885-1886
Stevens 1881-1882 renamed Kezar in 1882
Stonington mining camp near Marble
Suttle 1882-1883
Taylor City 1900 renamed Dorchester
Taylor Park E of Taylor Park Resv.
Taylorville 1882 now under Taylor Resv
Telco 1917-1929 Abandoned lumber camp on railroad line from Crested Butte to Floresta. Founded by Henry Endner.
Tellurium 1880-1883 mining camp located near head of Tellurium Creek
Tin Cup 1880-Present

Mining camp formerly Tin Cup, renamed Virginia City, then renamed Tin Cup again. The town burned in 1906 and 1913. Many original structures have been restored and the town is occupied seasonally.

Toliafaro 1896-1898 formerly Nugget City, on Goose Creek, abandoned
Tomichi 1876-1899

on Tomichi Creek 1.5 mi NE of White Pine, formerly Argenta, destroyed by avalanche in 1898, which killed 4 persons. Serviced the Magna Carta Tunnel lode. Cemetery remains.

Tucker 1896-1897 aka Morris
Tucson 1880-1882 abandoned mining camp, formerly Oh-Be-Joyful, on Oh-Be-Joyful Creek N of Crested Butte
Tumichi became Parlin
Turner 1881-1952 renamed Moscow
Uncompaghre 1880-1906 now in Montrose Co.
Union Hill renamed Iris
Ute 1882-1882

became Grand Junction, now in Mesa Co.

Virginia City (Tin Cup) 1879-1880 name change to Tin Cup
Vulcan 1894-1912

gold, sulphur and copper mining camp located on Camp Creek, formerly Fulton and Camp Creek, now Ghost Town. Serviced the Vulcan, Mammoth Chimney and Good Hope mines. In the early 1900s sulphur was mined and during WWI the mines produced copper.

Wagon Town 1883-1893 renamed Cosden
Wattson's Camp 1890s abandoned
Waunita 1885-1908 PO moved from Elgin
Waunita Hot Springs 1910-1942 PO moved from Bowerman
West Gunnison
White Cloud Located on Coal Creek north of Kebler Pass in the Ruby Gulch area.
White Earth 1876-1880 stage stop on Cebolla Creek 1.5 mi SE of Powderhorn. It was a ranching center and stage stop.
White Pine 1880-1954 mining camp on Tomichi Creek. The town declined after the United States demonetized silver. Some structures remain.
Willis 1879

aka Denny's and Old Man's Cabin, abandoned

Woodstock 1881-1884 Mining camp supported by the mines in Brittle Silver Basin on Williams Pass Road (formerly the Alpine and South Park Toll Road), destroyed by avalanche in 1884. The lumberjacks had denuded all trees from the nearby hillsides to build railroad ties. 13 people were killed, including the 6 children of Mrs. Marcella Doyle, the boardinghouse operator. The bodies were probably buried in Pitkin.
Youman in far south of county
Yule Creek became Marble

Return to Home Page

Should you have problems, please email the
Gunnison County Coordinator

email me