Gunnison County Logo

ESTABLISHED AND PROPOSED WAGON ROADS AND TOLL ROADS 
IN THE TRINIDAD 1°× 2° QUADRANGLE 

(Name of road, date of incorporation, volume number as listed in the Colorado Archives, and description of each road are shown. Abbreviation “Co.” = Company.) 
Abeyta Pass Toll Road Co., Dec. 15, 1873, E-195, from Abeyta or Veta Creek over the range and down Sangre de Cristo Creek, about 20 miles, all in Huerfano and Costilla Counties 

Abeyta Pass Wagon Road Co., Dec. 26, 1873, E-214-215, from Abeyta Creek at the crossing ten miles east of the Sangre de Cristo Divide, then to the western boundary of Huerfano County; also Dec. 22, 1893, v. 45 

Alamosa and Pagosa Springs Wagon Road Co., Apr. 29, 1878, B-139, from Alamosa, Conejos County, to Pagosa Springs, Conejos County, a distance of 85 miles 

Alamosa and Pagosa Springs Wagon Toll Road Co., Sept. 19, 1878, 1-83, from Alamosa, Conejos County, to Pagosa Springs, Conejos County, following Alamosa Creek from the Falls and upstream to the headwaters of the East San Juan, thence downstream to Pagosa Spring, passing through part of Rio Grande County 

Alamosa San Juan & Pagosa Toll Road Co., Feb. 10, 1882, 11-56, from Alamosa, Conejos County, to Tipton's Ranch in Cat Creek Canon, then southwest to the Alamosa River, then upstream to the summit of the divide between Alamosa and the San Juan Rivers, then down the San Juan to Pagosa Springs; also a branch from near Lookout Mountain in Rio Grande County to Summitville 

Alamosa, Summit & Pagosa Springs Toll Road Co., July 13, 1877, A-386, from the mouth of Alamosa Canyon, Conejos County, up Alamosa Creek, across the divide and thence down the San Juan River to Pagosa Springs 

Canon City, Grand River, and San Juan Road Company, Nov. 6, 1861, from Canon City to the 28th mile of the Canon City-Hamilton road southerly via Poncha and Sawatch Passes to an intersection with Loring's road from Ft. Garland to Salt Lake City along the Rio Grande del Norte (Hill, 1949, p. 119) 

Cucharas & Moreno Valley Wagon Road Co., Feb. 6, 1868, C-365, from the south line of Huerfano County where it crosses the Cucharas River, extending up the valley, across Cucharas Pass and terminating in Moreno Valley 

Cucharas & Sangre de Cristo Wagon Road Co., June 15, 1868, C-399, from the Cucharas River, up Veta Creek, and over the Sangre de Cristo Range to the head of Sangre de Cristo Creek. Apparently this route began at the Francisco homestead at present La Veta, extended up South Veta Creek and crossed the summit of the range at present La Veta Pass 

Denver and San Luis Valley Wagon Road Co., Feb. 10, 1865, p. 127-130, from Denver, in a southerly direction, to the crossing of Plum Creek, about three miles above the mouth thereof, thence southerly to the place where the road leading from Colorado City to South Park crosses the south branch of the South Platte River, thence southerly to the point where the roads leading from Canon City to California and to Montgomery diverge, thence southerly to the crossing of the Arkansas River, known as the drift, about fifteen miles above Canon City, thence southerly through or across Poncha Pass to the crossing of the Rio del Norte, thence by way of the Conejos agency and Los Pinos to the southern boundary of the territory 

Fort Garland, Summit & Decatur Toll Road, Nov. 1, 1875, F-130, from Fort Garland in Costilla County, westerly to the Rio Grande, crossing near the mouth of the Alamosa River, then extending westward up the Alamosa River valley to the Decatur Mining District in Conejos County, then to the Summit Mining District in Rio Grande County about 75 miles 

Grayback Toll Road Co., May 28, 1879, 1-404, from the mouth of Grayback Creek in Huerfano County, upstream 4 miles to near the carbonate and iron mines to the summit of the Grayback Mountain 7 

Huerfano County Territorial Road, Feb. 13, 1874, p. 232, to establish a territorial road in Huerfano County. The most usual traveled road between B.T. Howard’s Ranch in Huerfano County by way of St. Mary’s, then southwest through the ranch of Hamilton Brothers on the North Beyta and thence to the mouth of the South Beyta Canon is hereby declared to be a Territorial Road Huerfano County Territorial Road. By act of Colorado Territorial Legislature Assembly of Feb. 13, 1874, the usual traveled road between B.T. Howard’s Ranch in Huerfano County, by way of St. Mary’s, thence southwest thru the ranch of Hamilton Brothers on the North Beyta, and thence to the mouth of the South Beyta Canon, is hereby declared to be a Territorial Road. Repealed 1877, p. 799 LaJunta & New Mexico Road Co., July 15, 1876, F-381, from the Colorado-New Mexico border in the Canon of San Isidro (or Manco la Burra) Creek then down to San Francisco Creek, then down to the Purgatoire River then to Tempe Station on the Trinidad & La Junta Wagon Road, then on northeast to La Junta 

Las Animas City & Fort Union Wagon Road Co., Mar. 15, 1869, C-509, from the head of the south bank of Purgatoire Canyon, Las Animas County, then southward along the Vega Redondo Creek upstream and across Sugarite Pass of the Raton Mountains in the direction of Fort Union to the Colorado-New Mexico Line 

Middle Creek Pass Toll Road Co., Dec. 11, 1874, E-480, from the mouth of Middle Creek Canon in Huerfano County, crossing the Sangre de Cristo Mountains at Middle Creek Pass, then to the Huerfano-Costilla County line, then westward 10 miles into Costilla County 

Mosca Pass & Huerfano Toll Road Co., Feb. 14, 1874, E-247, from the western boundary of Huerfano County where Mosca Trail crosses the Sangre de Cristo Range (Mosca Pass) then easterly 12 miles via Gardner’s Store and Badito to intersect the road leading along the Huerfano River at Archuleta’s Ranch to Pueblo Mosca Pass & Poison Canon Toll Road Co., (no. 1), Mar. 20, 1874, E-290, from 40 rods [660 feet] north of Mosca Pass then to head of and down Poison Canon for 2 1/2 miles, then southeast into Huerfano Canon, then to Gardner, totaling about 16 miles, all in Huerfano County 

Mosca Pass & Poison Canon Wagon Toll Road Co. (no. 2), June 16, 1874, E-377, from the mouth of Mosca Creek in Saguache County, up the creek and across the summit of (Mosca Pass) of the Sangre de Cristo Range, extending thence down the canon on the east side, then into and thru Poison Canon to a point in Huerfano County 11 miles from the point of beginning 

Mosca Pass Toll Road Co., Nov. 14, 1873, E-164, (no. 2) from the ranch of Francisco Manzanarious in Huerfano County, extending across Mosca Pass and into the San Luis Valley in Costilla County 

Mosca Pass Toll Road Co., May 5, 1892, 31-320, from a point of origin in Costilla County one mile west of the mouth of Mosca Pass in the San Luis Valley then to the mouth of the pass, then extending eastward up the canon of said pass to the summit of the Sangre de Cristo Range then down the canon on the east side of the range to Huerfano County 7 miles from the point of origin; the course and roadbed of this shall be the same as that of the Mosca Pass and Poison Canon Toll Road Company as it existed at that time. Toll charges were two dollars per wagon, one dollar for horse and rider, and fifty cents for each head of cattle, sheep, or other animal. About 30 or 40 wagons crossed the pass each day. 

Mosko (Mosca) Pass Toll Road Co., Nov. 12, 1873, E-163, (no. 1) from where the trail leaves Huerfano Creek about five miles below Mosko Pass, then across the pass and extending via Mosko Creek into the San Luis Valley, altogether 10 miles in length 

Mountain Monarch Wagon Road Co., Mar. 13, 1879, 1-251, from a point in the Wahatoya Valley in Huerfano County about 2 1/2 miles southeast of La Veta near the NE corner sec. 3, T. 30 S., R. 68 W., extending up the east side of the valley about 3 miles to the Wahatoya Creek crossing, then along the foot hills for a half mile then in an easterly direction between two buttes winding around the easterly side of the West Butte, then up the west side and on top of a ridge extending southwest, then along the east slope, crossing a canon to the left and winding around onto the next ridge in a northwest direction, then southeast to the east slope of the main ridge, then along the 8 said east slope into and up to the head of the east canon of the West Spanish Peak or what is called Ducket Gulch 

Music Pass Toll Road Co., May 11, 1880, 3-281, from west side of Wet Mountain Valley where Cottonwood Creek comes out of the Sangre de Cristo Range into the Wet Mountain Valley, then up Cottonwood Creek and across the Sangre de Cristo Range thru Music Pass, then down Sand Creek to its mouth in the San Luis Valley in Saguache County 

Parkview & Fort Garland Freight Road & Telegraph Co., Jan. 26, 1877, A-292, from Parkview in Rio Arriba County, New Mexico, extending up the left branch of the Chama River and over the most practical crossing of the San Juan Mountains, then to Fort Garland, Colorado 

Pass Creek Toll Road Co., July 8, 1880, 3-339, from the southeast corner of the SE 1/4 NE 1/4 sec. 20, T. 27 S., R. 70 W., in Huerfano County extending southward up Pass Creek and across the summit of the Sangre de Cristo Range at Pass Creek Pass, then down Sangre de Cristo Creek in Costilla County to the intersection of the Abeyta Pass Toll Road and the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad above the upper water tank on the south bank of Sangre de Cristo Creek in T. 28 S., R. 70 W. 

Pueblo and San Juan Wagon Road Co., Nov. 21, 1873, E-166, from Pueblo up the Arkansas Valley to the foot of the Greenhorn Range, then across the range via Hardscrabble Creek to Rosita mines into the Wet Mountain Valley, then to the Sangre de Cristo Range, crossing over Arena Pass about 8 miles northwest of Mosca Pass, then west to Del Norte in Saguache County to connect with the road to San Juan County 

Pueblo & San Juan Wagon Road Co., Feb. 27, 1874, E-258, from Arkansas Valley to valley of Rio Grande del Norte at Del Norte; from Pueblo and over Hardscrabble or other pass near Rosita mines and thru Sangre de Cristo by Music Pass then to Del Norte 

Pueblo, Gunnison & Pacific Railroad Co., Feb. 24, 1888, SS-8521, To construct, acquire, and operate a railway and telegraph line and an express business from Pueblo southwesterly through Pueblo and Huerfano Counties, to and through the Sand Hill Pass across the Sangre de Cristo Mountain Range, into the San Luis Valley, thru Costilla and Saguache Counties northwesterly to and through the Cochetopa Pass of the Cochetopa Hills, by the most practicable route to Gunnison in Gunnison County 

Raton Mountain & Trinidad Wagon Road, Aug. 1, 1865, R.L. Wootton’s Ranch, Raton Mountains, Colorado Territory. Rates of toll: One wagon or carriage, with one span of horses or mules, or one yoke of cattle $1.00 One wagon with two or three spans of horses or mules or yokes of cattle $1.50 Horsemen, each $0.25 Loose stock, per head $0.05 Swine or sheep, per head $0.03 Raton Wagon Road Co., Feb. 11, 1870, D-62, from Trinidad up Raton Creek and along the old trail or road to the summit of the mountains and the boundary line between Colorado and New Mexico 

Saguache & Medano Pass Wagon Road Co., May 20, 1872, D-488, from Colorado Springs near the Samuel Ashley corral easterly to the north line of Bear Baca Grant No. 4 near its northwest corner, then east along north line to the base of the mountains then southeasterly along the base to the mouth of Medano Creek, then up Medano Creek to the top of the pass, then southerly to the Huerfano River to intersect the Huerfano and Mosca Pass Wagon Road near the foot of Mosca Pass 

Sangre de Cristo Toll Road Co., Sept. 29, 1880, 3-416, from a point in T. 21 S., R. 74 W., near Hillside in the Wet Mountain Valley in Custer County to Grape Creek then up Brush Creek to its head, then across the divide to Grape Creek and up said creek to Promontory Divide on the Custer-Huerfano County boundary, then across the Sangre de Cristo Range and into the San Luis Valley 

Sangre de Cristo Toll Road Co., Mar. 14, 1881, 7-452, from a point in T. 21 S., R. 74 W., near Hillside in the Wet Mountain Valley, in Custer County, then southeasterly up Brush Creek, then across the ridge to Grape Creek and up said Creek to Promontory Divide on the Custer-Huerfano boundary, 9 then across the Sangre de Cristo Range and into Costilla or Saguache County in the San Luis Valley 

Sangre de Cristo Wagon Road Co., June 1, 1864, A-92, from Fort Garland in Costilla County to Sangre de Cristo Creek between Fort Garland and Sangre de Cristo Pass, then over the Sierra Madre Range, where the pass crosses the easterly line of Costilla County 

Sangre de Cristo Wagon Road Co., July 21, 1864, AB-102, from the junction on the Greenhorn River of the Fort Union and Fort Garland roads three miles south of Hicklins Ranch, along the base of the Greenhorn Mountains, to a point 1/2 mile above the present crossing of the Pueblo-Fort Garland Road over the Huerfano River then to the Huerfano-Costilla County line, then over the Sierra Madre Range at the intersection of the Sangre de Cristo Pass and the Huerfano-Costilla County Line 

Sangre de Cristo Wagon Road Co., Dec. 26, 1873, E-212, from the east line of Costilla County through Sangre de Cristo Canon along the Sangre de Cristo Creek, continuing to Ute Creek [at Fort Garland] 

Silver Cliff & San Luis Valley Toll Road Co., Sept. 29, 1881, 7-608, from Silver Cliff via Lake of the Clouds at head of Swift Creek across the Sangre de Cristo Range to the headwaters of Rito Alto Creek down the creek to the San Luis Valley, T. 22 S., R. 12 E. 

Smoky Hill, Arkansas & Purgatoire Wagon Road Co., Jan. 11, 1867, p. 130, from any point on Pond Creek or Smoky Hill Fork to the mouth of the Purgatoire River, then up the Purgatoire to the north line of New Mexico Territory 

Spanish Peaks Toll Road & Investment Co., Sept. 3, 1887, 16-95, from the northwest corner of the SW 1/4 sec. 23, T. 30 S., R. 68 W., in Huerfano County, extending thru the west half of sec. 26, and the west half of sec. 35, T. 30 S., R. 68 W., terminating at the south line of sec. 35 at the Mountain Monarch Mining Company settlement 

Summit Creek & Wagon Creek Toll Road Co., Apr. 22, 1876, F-365, from the head of Summit Creek near the intersection of Huerfano Creek and the Huerfano-Costilla County line then down Summit Creek to Wagon Creek, then westward down Wagon Creek to Sangre de Cristo Creek at Russel, then down south bank of Sangre de Cristo Creek, crossing Sangre de Cristo Creek about a mile above the Big Hill Station and joining the Sangre de Cristo Toll Road, then following down the said toll road along the north side of the Sangre de Cristo Creek about 3 miles to the toll road crossing the creek to the south side, then turning to the right up Spring Branch Gulch, as directly as possible to Fort Garland, about 15 miles 

Trinidad & Costilla Road Co., Oct. 2, 1875, from Trinidad to Costilla 

Trinidad & Moreno Valley Wagon Road Co., Mar. 2, 1868, C-376, from Trinidad to Rifenburg’s Mill at the mouth of Long’s Creek, extending southwestward upstream in Long’s Canyon, crossing the divide at the head of Red River, then to Virginia City and the southern boundary of Colorado Trinidad & San Juan Wagon Road, Jan. 10, 1874, E-230, from Riggs Mill 22 miles from Trinidad, then following the Apishapa to Mabricio Apodaca’s Ranch, then along Dry Creek to the head of Santa Clara Creek, then thru Abeyta Pass, intersecting the Sangre de Cristo Road on the west side of Sangre de Cristo Mountain 2 1/2 miles from the summit of said mountain Trinidad, New Mexico & San Juan Road Co., July 15, 1876, F-382, from Trinidad up the middle fork of Purgatoire River to the south line of T. 33 S., R. 68 W., where the southwesterly Cucharas-Elizabethtown, New Mexico, Wagon Road crosses said line, then following said road southwest thru T. 34 S., R. 69 W., to the south boundary of Colorado, then via the headwaters of the Vermejo River to Costilla Pass on the summit of the mountains on the old trail, then west to Costilla River, then downstream to the Rio Grande near the town of Costilla, New Mexico Territory, then south to Taos; also a branch from the aforementioned point on the Rio Grande near Costilla, west to the Animas River and then to Parrott City and Silverton via the Animas River; also a branch from the intersection of the road with the south Fork of the Purgatoire near Manuel Tesneros house, and near the east line of sec. 35, T. 33 S., R. 67 W., in Las Animas County, extending upstream and 10 nearby the creek channel to the point where the first road heretofore described shall cross the west line of T. 34 S., R. 68 W.; also a road from the mouth of Long’s Creek or Canon at the Purgatoire River on the first road above described about 6 miles above Trinidad, then up the Longs Creek valley to head and to Colorado boundary, then to Elizabethtown and Taos Trinidad, Raton Mountain Road, Recorded Apr. 13, 1865. On March 31, 1865, Richens L. Wootton owner of the Charter of Incorporation of the Trinidad, Raton Mountain Road, agreed to and conveyed to Daniel I. Hayden & John W. Shaw, Pueblo County a 1/2 interest in this charter for the sum of $2,500. Conveyance of Mar. 30, 1865, indicates Wootton transferred his entire interests to above. 

Trinidad, Raton Wagon Road Co., chartered by Colorado Territorial Legislature, Feb. 10, 1865, from Trinidad on the Purgatoire River in Las Animas County, then to the south boundary of Colorado over the Raton Mountains by way of the old route known as the Santa Fe or Bents Old Fort Road with power to collect tolls 

Wahatoya Toll Road Co., June 14, 1902, 93-148, from the NW corner SW 1/4 sec. 23, T. 30 S., R. 68 W., extending southeast thru and across the SW 1/4 sec. 23, the NE 1/4 sec. 26, the SW 1/4 sec. 25, and thru the NE 1/4 sec. 36, then southward to a point near the center of the NE 1/4 SE 1/4 sec. 36, the terminus of the road; all of which lies in T. 30 S., R. 68 W., in Huerfano County