The information on this page has been transcribed (with permission) from a terrific book compiled and researched by a local Lake City historian, Grant E. Houston. The title of the book is "Cemeteries of Hinsdale County, Colorado 1874-1995, Revised 1996". This book provides detailed information on individuals buried in a number of historical cemeteries in Hinsdale County. The book does not contain all deaths which have occurred in Hinsdale County since its inception. Individuals who died in Hinsdale County but were transported elsewhere for burial are not included. This book contains more genealogical information then what is transcribed here, permission was granted by the author to transcribe basic genealogical information only.


Lake City Cemeteries


Olney Cemetery

Two infant children of the Olney family are buried near the head of the small gulch immediately west of Lake City. The parents of both children are Henry C. and Eugenie (Wilde) OLNEY. The graves are located in an evergreen grove overlooking Lake City. There is a white marble marker and the remains of a wooden picket fence.

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
OLNEY, Wilde 17 Jul 1877 17 Jul 1877 Died a few hours after birth
OLNEY, Willetta Blanche 18 Mar 1879 1 May 1879 Age 6 weeks, 2 days

City Cemetery

The City Cemetery, also known as Lower or Old Cemetery, came into existence in 1876. The first death to occur in Lake City was in January, 1876, when William F. RYAN died. The location of his burial is unknown. The marker of Benjamin HOUSE, a Bluff Street faro dealer who died in October, 1876, is the oldest tombstone in the City Cemetery. This cemetery is located on Cemetery Hill to the north of Lake City and just east of Colorado Highway 149 as it enters the town.

All of the basic genealogical information for this cemetery has already been transcribed and is available on the website, Find a Grave. The web address is www.findagrave.com


IOOF Cemetery

Silver Star Lodge No. 27, International Order of Odd Fellows (IOOF), decided to create their own private burial ground on the northern outskirts of Lake City in 1877. The first burial to take place in this cemetery was Andrew T. HOPKINS, who died April, 1877. The IOOF cemetery is located on Balsam Drive, to the north of Lake City and west of Colorado Highway 149 as it enters the town.

Burial in the IOOF cemetery was intended to be very restrictive. In the early years of its existence only members of the Odd Fellows Lodge or their immediate families were permitted to purchase burial plots. Restrictions had loosened somewhat by 1900, and members of other fraternities and sororities were allowed to be buried in the cemetery. The cemetery was later opened to the general public and was finally taken over by Hinsdale County after the Odd Fellows Lodge was dissolved. The IOOF Cemetery remains the principal burial location for Lake City at this time.

All of the basic genealogical information for this cemetery has already been transcribed and is available on the website, Find a Grave. The web address is www.findagrave.com


Capital City

Capital City, located 10 miles from Lake City on Henson Creek, started as Galena City or Silver Glen in the spring of 1876. It was incorporated as Capital City in 1877. A post office was started there in May of 1877, operating until 1920.

The Capital City Cemetery was started in the late 1870's as a convenient burial ground for residents of Capital City and the upper Henson Creek region. The number of existing burial records seems too low and it is probable that many burials went unrecorded. Lake City newspapers occasionally carried Capital City obituaries, but these appear to be haphazard. The cemetery is located on Forest Service property on a heavily wooded hillside to the west of the original townsite. The cemetery originally contained a number of elaborate memorials and wooden lot fences. Since 1960, however, souvenir hunters have carried off almost all traces of the old cemetery. As of 1985, only a few fence fragments and an occasional depression mark the location of the Capital City Cemetery.

All of the basic genealogical information for this cemetery has already been transcribed and is available on the website, Find a Grave. The web address is www.findagrave.com


Upper Henson Creek

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
FERGUSON, Mr. Unknown 16 Dec 1881 Mining accident-buried at Palmetto mine
WORLEY, William Dean 17 Sep 1934 31 May 1992 Small plane crash


Upper Lake Fork


Lake San Cristobal

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
BUTLER, Mr. Unknown Found 12 May 1893 Unmarked grave

Horse Thief Trail

Formerly used by the Ute Indians during their summer encampments, this meandering wilderness trail gained notoriety in the late 1870's due to its frequent use by outlaws. The trail passed close to Lake City, Silverton and Ouray, and was used by horse thieves to transport stolen livestock between the San Luis Valley and the Paradox region near present-day Grand Junction.

Two graves are known to exist along Horse Thief Trail in Hinsdale County.

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
THOMAS, William E Unknown June 1879 Horse thief
Unknown man About 35 years of age Found 24 Jul 1900 Froze to death

Clawson Cemetery

A wooden fence enclosure on the former Clawson Ranch, located about 3 miles above Lake San Cristobal on the Lake Fork River, contains the graves of four members of the Timothy E. CLAWSON family. Tim Clawson first came to Hinsdale County in 1874 and was one of the original pioneers of the Burrows Park region.

The former Clawson Ranch had successive owners and is today known as Red Cloud Ranch. The Clawson family cemetery is located at the edge of the main ranch meadow on the east side of the Lake Fork River.

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
CLAWSON, Amy Amelia 10 Apr 1902 28 Aug 1902
CLAWSON, Helen 20 May 1897 5 Oct 1897
CLAWSON, Ruth 22 Jan 1899 28 Sep 1899
CLAWSON, Timothy C 22 Sep 1903 31 Aug 1966 Son of Timothy E

Burrows Park

The neighboring settlements of Burrows Park, White Cross and Tellurium, located in a narrow park near the headwaters of the Lake Fork River, 21 miles from Lake City, represent some of the earliest mining activity in Hinsdale County.

Mining accidents and the harsh weather in these 10,700-foot elevation settlements claimed a number of lives, but the majority were removed to Lake City for burial. Only two burials, the exact locations of which are unknown, are thought to exist in the park.

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
BURNETT, L Monroe Unknown 5 Jul 1876 Disease of the heart
SMITH, James Unknown 6 Jul 1875 Mining accident


Upper Rio Grande


The Upper Rio Grande section of Hinsdale County, bordering on Mineral County since 1893, was settled in the mid-1870's due to its fine agricultural land and transportation routes. The Del Norte & Baker's Park Toll Road, between Del Norte and Howardsville-Silverton passed through this section in 1873. In 1875, Del Norte businessmen extended the toll road from Antelope Park over the Continental Divide to Lake City.

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
MARTINES, Aniceto Unknown Unknown Grave and wooden marker on route of old toll road between Jerosa Mesa and Rambouillet Park. Verbal tradition - stagecoach driver on old toll road.

San Juan City

San Juan City was established on a speculative basis in 1874. From February 1874, for one year until the following February in 1875, it served as the county seat of the newly formed Hinsdale County. The settlement never grew into a city or even a town, due to the lack of building materials and its relative isolation from major mining centers. San Juan City experienced a steady decline after February 1875, when the county seat was moved to Lake City.

Name Date of Birth Date of Death Comment
BENT, Eva M Age 19 years 27 Apr 1900 Died in childbirth
BENT, Infant 27 Apr 1900 27 Apr 1900 Male child
BRIDGEMAN, Grace May 15 Sep 1877 1900 Tuberculosis
BROOKS, Hermione Unknown Sometime between 1876 and 1880 Infant child
MOSHER, Mr. 15 years old July 1876 Ranching accident
WING, Ada "Dolly" Age 22 years 12 Sep 1887 Born in Sweden

Return to Hinsdale County Main Page