All Parks and recreation facilities are owned or operated by South Suburban Parks and Recreation District.
Barnes Park is located at 1900 W. Girard Avenue. This is 1.3 acres in size and was used by the Volunteer Fire Department for many years. South Suburban had a lease agreement with Rhoda and Charlotte Barnes, who deeded it to South Suburban in 1983. It has a wooden pole fence around the exterior and playground equipment in the northeast corner. The "Sheridan Celebrates" fair was held for the first time in this park beginning in 2002.
Is located at 2750 W Princeton Pl. This one-acre site was deeded
to South Suburban in 1983 by Woodlawn Investments. It has playground
Doug and Elva Chase and their four children; Dolores, Brian, Gary, and Karen operated a turkey farm on Oxford and Federal for many years. The children all attended Sheridan School District. The business required the entire family to work together to watch over the newly hatched turkeys to keep them at the right temperature, from piling up and smothering, maintain proper food and water, and ensure their pens were clean.
People came from all over Colorado to get their Thanksgiving and Christmas turkeys from the Chase farm. The many hours butchering and filling orders for family dinners kept them busy. Doug and Elva closed their turkey farm and sold the land to a developer who subdivided it for the Rose Gardens Subdivision. Their farmhouse was moved to 4245 S Dale Ct. Doug and Elva moved to one of the new homes at 4195 S Eliot St in 1963. Of the Chase family only Karen, who lives in Kansas, and Dolores, who resides in the Parker area survive.
Chase Park was named in honor of Doug and Elva Chase. Many children have enjoyed the playground, never realizing that they played in the footsteps of a family's dreams and the turkeys they were made of.
This park is located at 3025 W Mansfield Ave. This site was a railroad line to Fort Logan, which was vacated to the city in 1963. A neighborhood picnic area of .29 acres was developed by the City and named to honor Maurice Nesbitt. Mr. Nesbitt served as the city clerk in 1945, 1947 and 1948. He was also on the Board of Trustees from April 1957 through March 1958. Maurice was honored by the city for the many years he served as a volunteer fire fighter for the City, also serving as the secretary for the volunteer fire department. His former home is on South Natches Ct, across from the old Petersburg School.
The Sheridan School District owns Sheridan Community Park. South Suburban has a joint use agreement with them until 2022 for this 34 acres.
This area was acquired by Fort Logan from The Fabian Co, in the early 1900's. Around 1959 a Sheridan Elementary School, Ora Oliver, was built on the land to provide school to the military and government employees who had moved here because of the war. When the military post was decommissioned, the land was given to the school district with the provision that a facility to serve the public be built on it within a given number of years.
The School District's bond issue for a new high school failed, and an additional amount of time was given to them by the military. South Suburban then stepped in and built the swimming pool and recreation center to fill the terms of the agreement.
Besides the Recreation Center, which has the swimming pool and Rocking Horse Day Care center; it has a Shelter House with rest rooms; tennis courts; playing fields; four ball fields, three grass and one diamond; two soccer fields; and one football field. The school district has prior use of all facilities in this park. They use the park during the day and South Suburban uses it for evenings and weekend programs.
The new high school was later approved and classes begun in 1972. In a unique arrangement with Arapahoe Regional Library District the library serves both the students and the public.
The park at Sheridan Middle School is 2.3 acres and has one lighted ball field. In 1993 South Suburban took this park over. It is south of the school and does not include the Football field.
The park at Alice Terry School is to the north of the school at Oxford and Irving, 4485 S. Irving. This eight-acre park was deeded to south Suburban in 1980 after several lease agreements. A fence protects the users from traffic on Oxford Ave.
The new unnamed park, not quite in the city of Sheridan, is at 3370 S. Irving St., east of Interfaith Task Force facility. 'The Arapahoe County Commissioners have graciously donated land, as well as $140,000 in funding, for the development of a park that will include a multi-purpose field and a state-of-the-art playground. The donated land is located adjacent to Interfaith Community Services and will provide a play place for the Renaissance Transitional Living facility and the surrounding neighborhood. On Thursday, May 30, from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m., Sheridan school children, transitional housing residents, public officials and other community members came together and participated in the park's development by drawing a playground design. A hot dog dinner was served. Together we continue to improve the quality of life for citizens in the south metropolitan community.'
This greenway runs for over eight miles through Arapahoe County along the South Platte River. It was through the efforts of Mary Hampton Carter in the early 1980's, who envisioned its value to the citizens. She took on the task of leading a group of citizens to raise money and complete the project of trails and open space.
'In the early 1980's, greenways were still a relatively new concept. They had not yet moved to the national forefront, although within a decade an article in the national Geographic would tout more than 500 greenway projects across the U. S. When Mary took over this project, however, the concept of transforming the Platte from what had been a utilitarian drainage into a major amenity was still somewhat new-not fully tried and true. While the Platte certainly had its places of solace and beauty, there were also the landfills and industrial sites that lined the river.'*
The greenway was dedicated June 23, 1996, along with a park in her honor. Bike trails are open for walkers and bikers, many trees planted and much landscaping was done. The bike trail along Bear Creek meets with the Mary Carter Greenway.
*quote from "The Legacy" Vol.18 Number 2, Late Summer 1996
Copyright © 2002 by the Sheridan Historical Society
All rights reserved