Search billions of records on

Summit County, Colorado

Special Projects:
 Boreas Pass

Population: 150
Elevation: 11,482

Map displays the Boreas Pass area, as it would have been in the late 1800's.

Published in 2010, Ghost Town Sites Along Boreas Pass: Argentine, Farnahm, Farnahm Spur and Dywer by Roger C. Thweatt, Ph.D., provides a look at these four mining camps in some detail, including maps, development, name changes and how the railroad affected them. Allowing even the casual reader to drive along what is now Boreas Pass Road and find the sites for themselves.
**All photographs below are copyright of the owner, please ask permission for use.**

All four of these communities had a rail spur of the main line of the Denver South Park and Pacific Railway, running along the Boreas Pass High Line. This was one of the narrow gauge railroads that existed through the high country of Colorado, going in, over and around the Rocky Mountains.  

Station NumberElevation (in feet)Milepost from Denver
Farnham Spur----11,197100.3


  • Had two mines within the town limits. 
  • Has the only burial site within the four towns, with the exception of one isolated grave near Dwyer. 
  • 18 Buildings existed, including a blacksmith, post office, large general store, operated by T.B. Jackson, and a hotel. The town also bragged of a two-story railroad boarding house.
  • Water was obtained from a water wagon coming from Indiana Creek (3/4 of a mile south).
  • Close to 1900, the name was changed to Bacon, honoring W.M. Bacon, superintendent of the South Park Division of the railroad. 
This meadow is the site of Argentine (photo taken fall, 2011)

  • Last town on the South Park line as the train approaches the summit from the west. 
  • Fifteen buildings, including a hotel, various cabins, two section houses and a general store. 
  • W.H. Farnham built a 16 room summer resort here, advertised for respiratory health.
  • Remnants of a railroad snow fence still exist, and are visible from the road. 

Farnham Spur

  • The most unique feature here was an aerial tramway, about a mile long, that brought ore down off the side of Mt. Baldy.  Some of the structures from the mine are still visible.
  • The camp was seven buildings in all, including the operations center for the mine and tram system.
  • Boarding house was on the south side, or downhill, of the tracks. 
  • There is an intact out house about 200 feet into the trees, near a collapsed cabin, the only remaining structure in any of the four locations. 


  • Known to have operated from 1883 - 1918, and perhaps longer.
  • This camp included 12 structures, including a shaft house, ore sorting house, mine shop building and a section house with a hand car barn. 
  • Before 1900, the name was changed to Belmont. 
  • Population fluctuated between 20 - 40 people. 
  • Primarily produced copper.
  • There is one, isolated grave with a marker on the south side of the rail line, set back in the forest. The marker does not have inscriptions.

Rail Sign from the Summit.   Debris from the aerial tramway in Farnham Spur. View of the Rocky Mountains from Dwyer. Track debris with restored structures in background.