The town of Hampton is located
in northeast Connecticut on lands originally shared by
Windham. It was incorporated from the towns of Pomfret, Brooklyn,
Mansfield, and Windham in 1786. Hampton is a small rural
has managed to preserve its past. The
Congregational Church is
the second oldest
building in the state, with
portions of the structure dating from 1754.
Also preserved is
House the Women Built", a two story building raised in 1776 by
Sally Bowers and other young women of the town while the men fought in
At Clark's Corner there is also a liberty pole
dating from 1849.
Erected by a
resident named Jonathan Clark, it
records the distance to Hartford and
stagecoach of the time.
Cover of "Discovering
Hampton" by Janice Trecker Main
Street, Hampton by
local artist Andy