This is from the Connecticut map in Thomas Bradford's 1838 National Atlas. It shows the boundaries of Lisbon at that time and of the surrounding towns. To the north are Canterbury and Windham, both in Windham County. The New London County towns bordering Lisbon are Franklin, Norwich, Preston and Griswold. Note the two villages of Newent and Hanover in Lisbon. These were the two Congregational Churches. The Hanover side of Lisbon became Sprague in 1861. The rivers on either side of Lisbon are the Shetucket River (to the west) and the Quinebaug River (to the east). The Quinebaug River continues south to Norwich where it flows into the Thames River which empties in to the Long Island Sound.