TOWN ACTION. - The first town meeting was on the 14th of October, 1734, "For ye chusing town overseers to manage ye affairs thereof then met and voted Edward Kibbe moderator for said meeting." At this meeting the first tything men were appointed - John Parsons and Timothy Root. At the same meeting it was voted "yt ye swine may have liberty to run at large this present year." Samuel Billings was appointed constable. At a subsequent meeting a "Committy" was appointed "to treet with ye committee of Enfield in regard to the highways at or before the first of January and on refusal to comply with their agreement, the Committee of Somers were Impowered to proceed to a court of law against ye town of Enfield according tot he best of their judgement." Ten pounds was voted at this meeting to defray the charge of a law suit against the town of Enfield.
In December of this year it was voted to acquit the town of Enfield from any further charge against them provided they would make satisfaction to the men owning the land through which the two roads ran leading from Enfield to Stafford and from the center to Wilbraham by the meeting house. These roads were laid out before the town of Somers became separated from Enfield. April 2nd, 1736, the selectmen of the town were empowered by a vote to open and take possession of the highway that was laid out and granted by the town of Enfield, viz.: "the highway that begins a few rods west of Robert Pease house, northward by the meeting house." At a prior meeting the question of highways between the towns of Enfield and Somers was amicably settled.
At this period the town meetings were held sometimes in the school house and sometimes in the meeting house. At another town meeting held this year it was voted to allow Sergeant Joseph Pease four shillings for the use of his mill. In 1738 a leather sealer was appointed by the board, and voted that the annuel meeting for the future should be on the second Monday of March behalf of this town in the great and general court at Hartford at their nexxt General Election to make demand of all Charter Privileges granted by ye Crown of Great Britain to ye above sd Colony, that ye above sd Warner shall have 50 pounds provided he does procure ye charter privileges Granted by ye Crown of Great Britain to ye above said Colony to the town of Somers or have no reward from this town for all his charge and trouble provided he doth not accomplish matters to affect as above mentioned."
In 1739 an action was brought against the town by Doctor Ferry for services rendered. Accordingly the town voted to "interceed with Col. Timothy Dwight to act in behalf of Somers next May session in Boston to answer Dr. Ferry’s scitation relating to ye Sitton child. Elisha Kibbe and Joseph Sexton were chosen to lay ye case before Col. Dwight concerning the Child above." At the same meeting "voted to get Weights and Measures." At a meeting held May 22nd, 1739, it was voted to employ Colonel Joseph Dwight, of Brookfield to be "our attorney at ye next session in Boston to answer the scitation that Dr. Ferry served on this town concerning the maintenance of Rodolphus Sitton."
About this period there seems to have been some excitement in regard to the small-pox, and a house was erected for the use of those afflicted with the disease. December 10th, 1739, "Voted to Luke Parsons, six shillings for going to Enfield last winter concerning the smallpox. Also voted William Dwight 3 pounds twelve shillings for going to Enfield and Brookfield on ye town business, and Deacon Horton for his mare to Brookfield. Daniel Warner and Elizor Jones were chosen to inspect the killing of deer, contrary to late act." In 1740 it was voted to raise "300 poinds to defray ye charge of wolves, wild cats, squirrels, birds, etc. as ye law directs." In 1744 it was voted to "leave it with the selectmen to move the pound up near ye cross roads by Robert Peases and to form sd pound to their minds. Josiah Hall 1 shilling
6 pence for a broom." In February it was voted "to allow Israel Kibbe 4 pounds and 15 shillings lawful money to build a pound 36 foot square, 17 parts 5 foot between Joynts, under pinned with two teer of stone and all done Workman like and everthing completed excepting Lock and Key to be finished by ye middle of May." In 1745 it was voted "to pay Dea. Horton, 2 pounds 10 shillings and 5 pence and Doctor Ferry 6 pounds for services in going to Connecticut and trying to get us off [from Massachusetts]."
On April 6th, 1747, the town of Somers voted "to proceed to a matter of tryal, in order to be dismissed from ye government of Massachusetts, in New England, and to be brought under ye government of Connecticut and to submit ye whole affair to ye agents chosen by Woodstock, Suffied and Enfield for that affair, in order to make tryal and likewise to bear our proportion of charge with ye three aforesaid towns." In 1749 the town began to do business under the laws of Connecticut, to which it now belonged. The first record begins: "At a legal meeting of the town of Somers, in the county of Hartford, and colony of Connecticut, Dec. 6, 1749, by virtue of a warrant from William Wolcott, Esq., on of his Majestie’s Justices of the Peace for the county aforesaid," etc.
In the year 1750 it was voted to build a bridge over the Scantic at the county road. For the raising of the bridge three gallons of "Rhum" was provided; also tow pounds and twelve shillings to Elisha Kibbe for keeping Squire Wolcott and Squire West whrn they came here on the town service. In this year a sign post was erected by Deacon Horton, who received six shillings for his work. In 1751 it was voted that sheep should run at large on the commons until the 10th of October, and not be impounded for getting into an inclosure where the fence was not according to law. December 11th, 1758, it wsa voted to build a pair of stocks.
The town officials in 1888 were: Clerk, reg. and treas., Solomon Fuller; selectmen, Theodore M. Gowdy, Henry C. Stimson, Theodore Hurlburt; constable, Charles Hibbard; grand jurors, William L, Brainard, Calvin H. Tiffany, William H. Billings, Austin E. Kibbe, Myron F. Gowdy, Frederick Field; assessors Alvah D. Noble, Calvin M. Havens, Silas H. Perry; board of relief, David B. Meacham, John W. Little, Silas B. Cooley; school visitors, Charles H. Gleason, William B. Woods, Calvin M. Stevens, Albert L. Kibbe, Loren W. Percival, Myron F. Gowdy; registrars of voters, Amos Pease, Charles Hibbard.