Burying Ground in Ticknor's Woods
From Burying Grounds of Charon, CT
Amenia and North East, N. Y.
Published Amenia, NY 1903
On the north side of the road leading from Ellsworth, East Street, to Ellsworth proper, is the original burying
ground of the Ellsworth society.
When it was first used for that purpose is not known now. The last burial there was a daughter of Joseph Lord, Esq., and was probably not far from 1778. The grave being filled with water so impressed Mr. Lord with the necessity for a more suitable place of burial that he immediately gave the society the land for the present Ellsworth Cemetery. He died in 1778, and his headstone recites the fact that he was the first person buried in the ground he had given.
A forest of trees now covers the old place of burial, among which the rows of graves yet show. Many of them are marked by stones native to the place, only two having headstones with inscriptions. It would be interesting to know the names of these silent sleepers, but for that we must wait till the graves are opened and the dead arise. The two inscriptions found are:
ROBERTS, Mr. Mark, d. Feb. 17, 1767, in his 84th yr.
ROBERTS, Mr. Nathaniel, d. Jan. 16. 1766, in his 55th yr.
Mr. Samuel Everett of Ellsworth says that the following were buried in this place: Adonijah Maxam, Amos Sanford. Joseph Lovell, Nathaniel Chapman, Deborah Lord, wife of Isaiah Everett and dau. of Joseph Lord, Esq.
Sharon Cemeteries Counter
Return to [Cemetery List][Sharon, CT.]