A Short History
Edmund L. Smiley, M.A.
25C per copy
Published by the Author
August 25, 1934
Address: 10 School Street, Riverton, Connecticut
|I||Early Importance of Riverton|
|II||Story of the “Lighthouse” and Early Settlers|
|III||The Old Roads and Stage-Coaches|
|IV||Industrial History of Riverton|
|V||Education in Riverton|
|VI||Churches and Religious Life|
|VII||Some Business and Professional People|
|VIII||Military History of Riverton|
|IX||Explanatory Notes and Acknowledgments|
I. The Eerly History of Riverton
The first settlement at Riverton was called Barkhamsted. Forks, or “The Forks of the River.” Later when a sizeable village had developed this name was changed to Hitchcock’s Mill and then to Hitchcocksville in compliment to Lambert Hitchcock who had established a large chair factory in this part of Barkhamsted. At the time this change in the name was made Mr. Hitchcock employed about one hundred work-people in his factory and at neighboring homes. The substantial and beautiful chairs that he originated are justly famous and are now eagerly purchased by collectors of antiques.
In 1866, the name of the village was changed again and this time the christening took effect. Some genius suggested the name of Riverton when postal authorities desired a change, and this graceful and appropriate word has remained our designation. There had been some confusion and delay in the delivery of mail matter owing to the similarity of Hitchcocksville and Hotchkissville, which is a part of the Town of Woodbury.
Riverton was once as populous and important as Winsted, and its water power available for manufacturing purposes was superior.
The coming of railroad transportation finally tipped the scale in Winsted’s favor. Now that railroads are not so important as they formerly were, Riverton has a fair prospect of staging an industrial recovery.
At all events it will remain what it always has been — an unusually beautiful residential town, set like a jewel among the hills.
In the industrial statistics of Connecticut published in 1846 by Daniel P. Tyler, Secretary of State, we find that Barkhamsted then had a population of 1700. Of these, we have the authority of the first keeper of Riverton Inn (Jesse Ives) to the effect that 700 lived in and near Riverton.
Farming was of course the principal source of wealth, and Barkhamsted people possessed altogether in 1.846, a total of 1883 cattle. This is 1,000 more than were reported last year from this township.
Barkhamsted then (1846) produced a great variety of manufactured goods — for example: Axes, shovels, spades, saddles, harness, trunks, coaches, wagons, chairs, furniture, flour, tanned-leather, ‘boots, palm-leaf hats, bricks, quarried stone, wooden ware, timber (a half million feet per year, much of it shipped to the West Indies) shingles, staves for barrels, kegs, clothespins, charcoal, calico, oak-acid used for calico dye, foot rules, hoe handles, woolen goods and (was it for medicinal use?) 41 barrels of liquor.
Riverton, Pleasant Valley and South Hollow were at that time the principal factory-centers, with Riverton leading the list in the value of goods produced. The total value of manufactured goods reported as sold by Barkhamsted in 1846 was $60,751, and of agricutultural products $42,434 exclusive of such products consumed by the farmers and their families. If the output of the Ward Calico Factory, which is just over the Hartland line at Riverton had been included the total for manufactures would have been vastly greater.
The old wood-cut reproduced in this volume shows how “Hitchcocksville” looked at that time. Those were boom-times, but they may come back. If they do, no one will be warranted in saying, “The former times were better than these.”
II. The Story of The Barkhamsted Lighthouse” and of the Early Settlers
Our very first settler was an Indian. In 1740, or thereabout, there lived in Wethersfield a Narragansett Indian youth whose birthplace bad been Block Island, but who had made his way to Wethersfield, ‘and had adopted the ways of white people, and to some extent had established himself in their regard.
There also lived in Wethersfield at the time a maiden named Molly Barber, who had been forbidden by her father to marry the man of her choice — and who was so filled with rage at his interference that she vowed she would marry the first man who proposed to her --- no matter what manner of man he might be.
The Indian youth from Block Island — whose name was James Chaugham (usually pronounced “Shawm” or “Shawn”) —
saw his opportunity and proposed to Molly Barber forthwith. They were promptly married; and, fearing ostracism
or desiring privacy, they journeyed into the northern wilderness and settled upon the east bank of the West Branch
of the Farmington River at a point two miles south of Riverton near what is now the Whittemore Camping Ground in
the People’s Forest. Here they built a log cabin, and established the first home ever located in the township of
Barkhamsted. They were blessed with eight children, six of whom married. They have many descendants.
Long afterward a turnpike or toll-road was built along the bank of the river, which ran directly by the Shawn dwelling. Stage drivers, at nightfall, as they made their way along this turnpike, journeying southward from the Albany road would watch for the light streaming through the chinks in the Shawn cabin, and would shout’ to their passengers: “There’s Barkhamsted light-house; only five miles more to New Hartford — the end of the route!”
Probably the first white man to settle near Riverton was David Squire, father of Alvin, Curtiss, Bela and Harriet Squire, who ran the Old Forge, at the confluence of Sandy Brook and Still River in Robertsville, as early as 1782. His son, Bela Squire, was famous for half a century as keeper of a tavern on the west shore of Farmington River about two miles below Riverton. Bela was one of the first members of the Episcopal Church Society here, and was very active in village affairs until his lamented death in 1861, at the age of 75.
John Ives, from Hamden, was an even earlier settler but lived about two miles distant from Riverton in the Beaver Brook District of Center Hill, where he arrived in 1772.
His son, John, was a noted Revolutionary soldier, and his grandson, Jesse Ives, was the first proprietor of Riverton Inn, then known as the Ives Tavern. This Inn has had a continuous existence of more than 130 years. Jesse Ives designed the Riverton Episcopal Church, superintended its construction, and contributed toward its cost nearly all of his savings, amounting to nearly $2000. He was a leader in all good enterprises and must ever be recognized as one of the noblest, best men that Riverton has produced.
Probably the earliest settlers in Riverton Village itself were Daniel Mentor and his wife Submit Mentor. (What an appropriate name for a wife!) This couple lived in a log-house located near the village cemetery now known as Riverview.
It was from the Widow Submit Mentor that the “Hichcocksville Burying Ground Proprietors” bought the land for the cemetery in the year 1834. Widow Mentor was not able to write her name, so she made her “X” mark on the deed instead. Their son, Watrous Mentor, migrated westward, probably to Ohio in 1840, at which time all trace of this family is lost.
Pelatiah Ransom of Colchester came here nearly as early as the Mentors and kept a tavern near where the house of Allan R. Rowley now stands, at the base of the steep old Riverton-Center Hill road. This was Riverton’s first tavern. Peletiah’s grandson was Deacon Dwight F. Ransom who was a man of splendid character. His great-grandson, George Monroe Ransom, instead of supplying feed for horses, now provides fuel for automobiles at Riverton’s popular filling station.
The first Arba Alford came from Simsbury in 1793 and settled on the west side of the Farmington River near the present Casso residence. Later he moved to the East bank at a point nearly opposite his first farm. The Roberts family, his descendants, now own both sites. The second Arba Alford, son of the first, is famous as the partner of Lambert Hitchcock. Eunice, the sister of this second Arba, became the wife of Lambert Hitchcock. Another sister, Esther, married Miles Loomis and as Esther Loomis became famous as the pioneer advocate of women’s property rights in this state.
Judah Roberts, “the boy soldier of the revolution,” was also an early settler, and he lived just south of where Alcott Rowley now lives, on the east side of Farmington River. When ‘his father, Joel Roberts, returned home half-dead from the Revolutionary War, he put on the father’s uniform and took his place. Judah Roberts was the great grandfather of Carleton A. Roberts.
William Moore was one of the original proprietors from Windsor and he came here to occupy his land, which included all of Riverton west of the big river, in 1793. ‘He settled on Still River east of the creamery building and built the old Moore Bridge. The abutments are still standing.
His son, Apollos Moore (1777-1867) was fond of building fine brick houses. To his son, Charles, he gave the present Eastman house. The Pinney Tavern (Coe house) he gave to his daughter, Nancy, who was grandmother of Hon. Leon A. Coe. To his daughter, Belinda, who married Gilbert Deming, he gave the present Anderson residence. Mrs. Lena Pierson is granddaughter of Gilbert and Belinda Deming. The Taylor farm on the Robertsville road he gave to his son, Apollos Moore. William Moore was a very pronounced Democrat, in politics. A tall brown-stone monument once stood in the Episcopal churchyard in his honor. The stone carried the following epitaph: “To the memory of William Moore, only Jeffersonian Democrat of Barkhamsted, who stood alone amid many bitter persecutions.”
Unfortunately this monument was sold by the Episcopal Church Trustees, The proceeds were used for recasting
the church bell which had become cracked. Its present position with a different inscription is thought to be in
Two other early families were named Dean and Bates and lived on opposite sides of the river a short distance above Hog’s Back on the back-road to Colebrook River. The first Dean was a Hessian soldier who decided to stay in America.
III. Old Roads and Stage Coaches
There were several rival stage companies that operated between New Hartford and Riverton. Each stage driver stopped at his favorite inn, receiving certain favors and gratuities in return. There were five village taverns. Four of these were close together, as follows:
The fifth tavern was at a little distance and is the building now occupied by the families of Leon Coe and Reuben Miller, and was called Pinney Tavern.
The oldest of the stage roads is known as the County road, and it crossed Farmington River at three fords between Pleasant Valley and Riverton. Two of these fords were at the north and south end of Lighthouse Flat. The Riverton iron bridge, opposite the Inn, was built in 1790 and often renewed. It was the only bridge over the Farmington north of New Hartford this side of the Massachusetts line. Two routes were followed by stage-coaches going north from Riverton. One followed the West branch of the Farmington as far as Riverton forks, thence past the barn near the present residence of Miss Mary Buttles up the Still River to Moore’s Bridge, thence to Robertsville and points north. The other road was the back road to Colebrook River past Hog’s Back and Dean Place. It was the same as the present road except that Hog’s ‘Back hill was avoided, first by a left-hand ford above the present swimming pool, a mile above town, and by a right-hand ford near the old Dean Place.
We have the name of only one —- and nearly the last — of the stage drivers. ‘He lived in Riverton and his name was Wallace H. Dowd. He was nearly killed when ‘his stage broke through the old Moore Bridge in 1870. Fayette Alford and Dr. John Hitchcock (son of Lambert) were also injured in the same accident.
IV. Industrial History of Riverton
We have already mentioned David Squire’s old forge in Robertsville. There were many other village smithies. One shop was located unnumbered years between Coe’s hail and the Still River. Another stood across the road from the present residence of George Wood on the old turnpike. There were also various sawmills here — all of them using up-and-down sash saws operated by an arm ‘beneath, which lifted and lowered the saw in its sash-frame rhythmically. The most prominent of these mills was established at the site of the present paper mill by Ezra Doolittle and Lent Benham. These men come here from Cheshire in 1814.
Next came, also from Cheshire, Lambert Hitchcock, who arrived in 1816 and established his chair factory two years later. He made chairs and babyrocking settees. With the able assistance of his partner, Arba Alford, Jr., he continued this business until his removal to Unionville in 1842. The succeeding firms which continued the manufacture of chairs here were: Hitchcock & Alford, Hitchcock-Alford Co., Sage & Alford (Sage lived in the “Carrier” house), Alfred Alford. (He lived in the house now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph Schlapak.) Thereafter the buildings were occupied by Phoenix Plane Company, 1853, the Alfred Alford Plane Co.; D. H. Stephens & Co., makers of foot-rules, ‘and finally ‘by the Hiram Raley Rubber Co., now ably managed by Mrs. Helen B. Raley.
Mr. Delos H. Stephens, the rule-manufacturer, was a man of great mechanical ability and of sterling integrity. His beautiful ivory and Germansilver foot-rules are still occasionally to be found. He lived in the house where Burton J. Atwood and family now reside.
Next in order of time was the establishment of a grist-mill by Ephraim and Samuel Munson (father and son). This grist-mill is now known as Coe’s Hall. Samuel Munson was a very interesting man. He was miller, storekeeper — using a corner of the barn of Riverton Inn ‘for his wares — poet, musician, scholar and man of affairs. He lived in the brick house where George H. Butler and family reside at the present time. The old mill building was also used for wood-working and other industries conducted ‘by Wallace Case and others. Many small industries once flourished on Still River — among them Camp & Rapp’s Robertsville chair factory, and a coffee-grinder concern.
Pictures in this location
The Ward Family, consisting of John Ward and his two sons, James and Michael Ward, came to Riverton from North
Adams in 1836. They were prominent employees of the Arnold Print Works in North Adams. They bought out the Doolittle
& Benham sawmill and the island where the old Ward Homestead now stands, and used the plant for the manufacture
of calico. Their output grew from year to year until it reached a peak of $200,000 yearly valuation. This industry
waned in 1850. But in 1870 Michael Ward & Sons ‘began at the same site the manufacture of paper. In 1893 the
plant was sold to outside parties who in turn sold to others. Recent owners have been the Riverton Paper Co., Setag
Paper Co., Webber Industrial Paper Co., and the present owners: The Farmington Valley Paper Co.
Another industry was started in Riverton in 1853. It was the Eagle Scythe Co., which succeeded the Williams & Burbank Co. of Winsted which had tried without success for two years to manufacture scythes at a place opposite what is now Coe’s Hall. The new scythe company was composed of Judge Hiram Goodwin, Michael Ward, Evart Bevins (who lived in the house now occupied by Mrs. Dorothy Lodge) Joseph Gould, the miller, and Lorrin A. Cooke who afterward (1897-99) became governor of Connecticut.
Close beside the Scythe plant was also located the saw-mill of Myron A. Hart. The Scythe Co. divided its profits and went out of business in 1889.
Bricks for the building of Riverton houses were early made of clay excavated from the pasture back of the Ward homestead on School street, where Mrs. Jessie Moore now lives. The hole left by the excavators is now known as the “frog pond” and is well populated by frogs of high musical ability.
Charcoal was made in great quantities all over the neighboring hills.
Our present industries are paper-making, the manufacture of rubber nipples, and the builders’ finish mill and lumber yard now operated by George H. Butler.
V. Education in Riverton
Jesse Ives wrote in the Riverton cemetery records under date of Dec. 28, 1849: “At this very time we have not a School House at all comfortable or fit for use, with a population of more than one hundred scholars between the ages of 4 & 16 years.”
Yet seven years before that the early meetings of the Congregational Society were held in “the select high-school rooms of Bronson and Blair.” Where these were we know not, but we suspect that they were in a story-and-a-half building on the site where Deacon Egbert Norton now lives, for such a building was removed from that site for use as an office for the Eagle Scythe Company by Lorrin A. Cooke when he built the L. A. Cooke (Norton) house there.
Mr. Carleton A. Roberts has loaned us a prospectus dated March 7, 1851, showing an enrollment of forty scholars in this “Hitchcocksville High School.” The teacher’s name is given as George A. Stiliman. He came from Barkhamsted Center and died two years later at the youthful age of 28. The trustees of this school were Rev. Luther Barber (the first Congregational minister settled here). Rev. D. Kirby (Methodist), Hiram Goodwin, Esq., and Arba Alford, Jr., .Esq. There were 21 girls and 19 boys enrolled, and 28 of the total were resident in “Hitchcocksville,” while the others came from Hartland, Colebrook, Barkhamsted, Pleasant Valley, Canton, and the town.s of Tolland and Granville in Massachusetts. The Hitchcocksville scholars were: Mary J. Alford, Matilda Alford, Annie E. Deming, Julia M. Deming, Carrie A. Goodwin, Eunice M. Loomis, Elizabeth A. Moore, Nancy E. Ransom, S. Maria Sage, Sarah A. Treadway, Jennie M. Upson, Lottie E. Upson, Sara A. Ward, Angeline P. Williams, Edward P. Alford, Alfred C. Alford, Henry J. Allen, Charles
Burr, George G. Deming, John M. Deming, Melvin A. Doolittle, Hiram J. Goodwin, Charles Hull, Charles D. Moore, John E. Pine, Melvin V. Ransom, Riley W. Smith, Aaron Stillman, James B. Williams.
At the school exhibition, held on the date cited above, various old songs were sung beginning with one entitled “Hail, Thou Merry Day of School.” Then followed poems and orations, two of which bore the titles, “Liberty to Athens” and “The Ghost of Banquo.”
.......We feel sure that a good time was had by all!
The ungraded school for younger scholars was first located where Hon. Leon A. Coe’s barn now stands. Later a new and larger building was either built, or remodeled from the old schoolhouse, on the opposite side of the road close by — if tradition can be relied upon. Later this schoolhouse ceased to be used and a combined primary and, grammar school was built — about Civil War time, we think — at the present site on School street.
Our early teachers were men, until the arrival of Calista Dean of Hartland — who may have been the first lady teacher. Two men teachers who are well remembered were John Peck, and Judge Fyler, who taught in the early seventies. It must not be forgotten that Rev. Winthrop H. Phelps, Civil War Pastor of the Congregational Church, taught school after his return from service as Chaplain, in 1863.
Many “singing-schools” were also conducted in Hitchcocksville, led by such musicians as Sterry Weaver, James Tiffany (father of Byron Tiffany), Miss Calista Dean and Wallace Dean, her brother.
Dances were held occasionally and Anse Barnes of Robertsville was a f favorite fiddler. Huskings, sugar-parties, field days, Fourth of July picnics and numerous other frolics were much enjoyed. The young men were chivalrous; the young women were beautiful. Those were happy times!
VI.Churches and Religious Life
The first church built in Riverton was the Union Episcopal Church — a beautiful stone church — completed under superintendence of Jesse Ives in 1829.
Many of the early meetings of Congregationalists, Methodists and Adventists were held in this church which was conducted in a broad-minded, hospitable and kindly spirit.
The Methodist Church whose foundations can now be seen on School Street beside the schoolhouse, was built in 1835 and continued active for, about forty years. It was finally torn down by a retired Methodist minister named Coddling who used .the materials on his farm at Wallen’s Hill. The Methodist Society numbered many fine families on its membership rolls, and accomplished a very worthy mission. Rev. George A. Parkington, a prominent Methodist preacher, was a native of Hitchcocksville and grew up in the church here.
In 1842 the Congregational Society was formed with 53 members, and its members at first attempted to buy the Episcopal Church building, whose trustees were then in financial difficulties. Unfortunately for all parties, these negotiations were not successful. Whereupon the Congregational Society erected its present house of worship which was completed in the fall of 1843.
The church was designed to be an exact reproduction of the Baptist Church in Canton, which had just been built, and of which ‘that remarkable genius, Rev. George B. Atwell, was then pastor. Willard S. Wetmore of Winsted was the builder, and his work was honestly and faithfully done. The contract price was $1995. It must be remembered that lumber and boards cost at that time only $5 per thousand feet.
Rev. George B. Atwell was always very popular in Riverton and preached here, and at the Hemlock Meeting House of Robertsville, many times. He moved from Canton in 1846 to become pastor at Pleasant Valley and remained at the latter place until his decease in 1879 at the age of 86. He served for a long time as Grand Chaplain of the Masonic Lodge of Connecticut. Some of his witty sayings were:
The first officers selected by the Congregational Society were: Hiram Goodwin, Jared Deming, George Pratt, Ezra Doolittle and Sherman Blair. These officers issued an appeal to the community, which reads in part as follows: “(The members of this committee) have felt that a crisis was forming in regard to their own, their children's and their friends’ prospect of moral and religious instruction . . . when they behold . . . their families . . . who are to exist for endless ages, when they look back upon the past and see bow little has ‘been done for their moral and religious improvement, . . . they dare not but recommend immediate organization.”
The first pastor of the Congregational Church, Rev. Luther H. Barber, was ordained here In 1842 and served until the beginning of the Civil War. Notably successful pastors who suceeded him were: Chaplain Winthrop H. Phelps, 1861-63; Platt T. Holley, 1863-69 and 1872-74; Francis H. .Viets, 1882 - 87; George S. Richards, 1896-1911 (now living at Center Hill); and Lydia Hartig, 1914-15 (now living at Moosup, Conn.).
The so-called Community House of the Congregational Church was bought in 1910 and is in. the care of a board of trustees, composed of the original givers or their appointees. This building was originally a part of the Hitchcock-Afford chair factory.
Early church choristers were: Congregational, Henry Lee; Episcopal, Capt. Abiel Case and Reuben Pinney.
VII. Business and Professional Men in Riverton
Riverton Men in Politics
Early store-keepers in Riverton were Samuel Munson, Lambert Hitchcock, Reuben Pinney and William Ward, brother of Clarence E. Ward. Munson’s store was in the barn of Riverton Inn, as already stated; Hitchcock’s was in the present “Community House”; Pinney’s was in the house now belonging to Arthur L. Lewis, which was then located on the opposite side of the street. William Ward’s store was in the ell of the Moore House (where Leslie H. Eastman and family now reside.) Later there was a drug store in Riverton Inn annex conducted by Dudley Smith.
Hitchcocksville once had a savings bank. Hiram Goodwin was its treasurer. Printed matter issued by this ‘bank was recently discovered by Mr. Leon Dickinson in Hartland Hollow.
Various proprietors have conducted the Riverton general store, some of whom were the following: Hart Brothers, Cady & Whitney, Charles R. Rowley, A. L. Lewis, and the present owner, Ernest G. Jordan.
Among the brilliant professional men of Riverton we must give first place to Judge Hiram Goodwin. Well versed in law, he assisted young men to enter the legal profession. Three such men were Chester Dwight Cleveland, son of Rufus, who became a judge in Oshkosh. Wisconsin; Timothy C. Ransom, who became a prominent lawyer in Forrest City, Iowa; and Daniel Alford, son of Alfred, who became a judge in Kansas.
Judge Goodwin came here from New Hartford in 1830 and lived here fifty-five years. At his death, in 1885, he willed his house on School Street to the Congregational Church for use as a parsonage. Successive trustees of this building have been Lorrin A. Cooke, Rev. Francis H. Viets and W. Hubert Wright.
A great sorrow came to Mr. and Mrs. Hiram Goodwin in September, 1880, when their only surviving child, Carrie, a grown-up daughter of charming personality, accidentally fell to her death from the cliff above Still River Falls in Robertsville.
Hiram Goodwin served as representative in the legislature from this town for two years, and as state senator two terms. He was Sunday-School Superintendent here for thirty years. He was generally respected and highly esteemed during the whole period of his long residence here.
Launcelot Phelps, the tavern-keeper, was elected to United States Congress in 1835 and 1837. He removed to Colebrook in 1849 and died there in 1865. His son, William. was a pioneer banker in Winsted, and the grandson, William H. Phelps, is now president of Hurlbut National Bank.
James, another son of Launcelot, was elected to Congress while resident in Essex, Conn.
After Liauncelot Phelps, the following Riverton men went to Congress in the years appended to their names: Lambert Hitchcock, 1840-41; Warren Phelps, 1852; and Hiram Goodwin, 1860-62.
Hon. Lorrin A. Cooke of Riverton became governor of Connecticut in 1897, serving until 1899.
Dr. Thaddeus K. DeWolf, our first town doctor, came from Colebrook to Riverton, about 1815. His services were :Needed, as there was much illness here, especially pulmonary consumption. This latter disease, now rather rare, was then rampant. One entire family -— that of As Crane consisting of the, father and seven children — all perished in a short time from this scourge.
Dr. DeWoif was succeeded by Dr. Flavel B. Graham, who finally left here for Texas, where he died in 1854.
Dr. Howard Moore was ‘born and grew up in Riverton. After his marriage to Miss Jessie Ward, daughter of George Ward, he made his residence at what is now Cook’s Place, and continued in general practice here for eleven years until 1899. He might have been accurately described in Paul’s phrase about Luke as “the beloved physician.”
He was succeeded by Dr. Joseph Dobson, an elderly Englishman, who was the last of our resident physicians.
VIII Riverton's Military History
Very early in post-revolution days a military company was formed here called the Light Guard, and resplendent with red ‘and black feather-plumes. Other organizations followed. In Civil War days our local militia was commanded by Captain Justin Hodge.
The limits of our space require that we give only the names of those Riverton men who served in our nation’s defense. The list follows:
(If there are errors or omissions, corrections can be written in.)
Rufus Cleveland, John Ives. Amasa Mallory, Daniel Mentor, William Moore, Richard Jones, Pelatiah Ransom, Joel Roberts, Judah Roberts, Simeon Rogers. Abner Slade, James Slade, David Squire, William Wilson (of Lighthouse Tribe).
Soldiers of 1812
Roman Alford, Zenas Alford, Horace Butler, Jesse Ives, Pelatiah Ransom, Jr.
Soldiers of the Mexian War 1846-47
Capt. Justin Hodge.
Veterans of the Civil War, 1861-65
Alfred C. Alford, Fayette Alford, Warren Alford (all three were sons of Lora Alford); James F. Blair and Sherman Blair, both Sons of Sherman C. Blair (schoolteacher and merchant of Riverton); Charles Burr, Timothy B. Cannon, George H. Clark, Jr., Chester Dwight Cleveland, Henry E. Clevelland, Charles P. Coe, Dr. James’ R. Cummings, Watson H. Deming, Isaac Elwell, Nathaniel Hayden, Dr. John L. Hitchcock (son of Lambert), Justin
Hodge, Kosky Hodge, Charles Hull, George A. Parkington, DeWitt Parkington, Rev. Winthrop H. Phelps, Charles Henry Pine, George Ransom, Melville V. Ransom.
Veterans of the World War
Julius Adams, Frank J. Anstett, Russell Bevins, Charles Brazee, Philemon DesRosier, Irving Doty, Clayton Hodge, Charles King, Reuben Miller, Morgan Pease, John Rebillard, Laurence Roberts, Theodore Roberts, Everett Sage, Edward Schiapak and Erlis Weed.
IX. Concluding Notes and Acknowledgments
This is Riverton’s first printed history. Its sources have been: Centennial and Sesquicentennial Volumes of
Barkhamsted history published by William Wallace Lee and Orville H. Ripley, respectively; Barber’s Connecticut
Historical Collections, published 1836; Lee’s List of Barkhamsted Soldiers; J.
W. Lewis & Co.’s History of Litchfield County; The Episcopal Parish Record dating from 1828, loaned by Hon. Leon A. Coe; Congregational Parish Record, loaned by Mrs. Minnie Rowley, clerk of the church; the Record of Hitchcocksville Burying ‘Ground Proprietors, also loaned by Mrs. Rowley; Charles R. Hale’s “Headstone Inscriptions, Town of Barkhamsted, 1933; and personal recollections, photographs and other data, furnished by Rev. Dr. Sherrod Soule, Hartford, Mrs. Mabel Roberts Moore of Hartford, Mr. Irving ‘Manchester of Winsted, Mr. Frank Chapin of New Hartford, Mr. Frank Alford of New Britain, Mr. George Godard, State Librarian, and Mr. Carleton S. Roberts, Hon. Laurence H. Roberts, Mr. Clarence E. Ward, Mr. Byron Tiffany, Mr. Homer Deming and many others in and near Riverton.
The author of this history hereby offers grateful acknowledgment to all who have assisted him in any way.
If readers of this short history are as thrilled by Riverton’s story as the writer has been, he will feel well repaid for the effort of telling It.
Return To Litchfield County AHGP History page