USGenWeb Project
Stonington
New London County
CTGenWeb
CTGenWeb
The town of Stonington was first settled under the leadership of William Chesebrough, who had come to visit John Winthrop's settlement at Pequot (later New London), but preferred the region further east. He built in 1649 a house and settled with his family, supposing he was within the boundries of Massachusetts. The General Court of Connecticut, however, claimed jurisdiction of the region. In 1652, after considerable effort, he obtained a grant for himself and his sons. Other settlers came gradually, amongst whom were Thomas Stanton, Thomas Miner, Governor Haynes, Walter Palmer, Capt. George Denison, Capt. John Gallup, Robert Park, and their families.

        In October 1659, the Massachusetts Court granted that the English plantation between Mystic and Pawcatuck be named Southertown, and to belong to the County of Suffolk.   The first small meeting house was built May 13th, 1661.

        Gov. John Winthrop procured the new charter from King Charles II which fixed the eastern line of Connecticut at Pawcatuck river, which included the township of Southertown.
 

        Stonington was incorporated in 1807. It covers 42.7 square miles which includes Mystic, Old Mystic, Borough of Stonington, Pawcatuck and Stonington.



ULTIMATE FAMILY REUNION

Donna Schumacher is in the initial stages of organizing an "Ultimate Family Reunion of the descendants of the original Founders of Stonington in 2009.  Donna will be adding information to this web page is it becomes available:  http://www.ultimatefamilyreunion.atomicshops.com/page/page/2739163.htm
E-Mail:   jdschumacherATsbcglobal.net   (replace AT with @)