John Brown, president and treasurer of John Brown, Inc., has built up an extensive business in leather goods and is recognized as a factor of importance in the commercial development of New Haven. A native of Scotland, he was born in St. Andrews, April 15, 1845, and is a son of Robert and Ann (Greive) Brown, the former a native of Fifeshire. The father was a farmer and also engaged in jobbing farm products, especially potatoes. He was quite a prominent Mason and was a loyal and active member of the Presbyterian church.
John Brown attended the schools of Cupar and Glasgow, Scotland, but when sixteen years old began learning the harness maker's trade in Glasgow. After serving a six years' apprenticeship he followed that trade in Scotland until 1870, when he came to America. He at once opened a shop on George street in New Haven and during the past forty-seven years has engaged in business there. His trade has grown and he has been very successful in adapting his work to changing conditions and now has a fine store extending from No. 153 to 157 George street. He not only makes and sells harness but also carries a large and well selected line of trunks, bags, suit eases, automobile supplies and fine leather novelties. He is also a stockholder in the West Haven Ice Company and although engaged in business in New Haven maintains his residence in West Haven.
Mr. Brown was united in marriage to Miss Jennie Stevenson, who died, leaving a daughter. Mattie B., now the wife of L. S. Richards, of Brooklyn, by whom she has two children, Lee Sumner, Jr., and Jean Harriet.
Mr. Brown is one of the most prominent
citizens of West Haven, of which he served as burgess from 1900 to 1905,
during which period many of the present day improvements were instituted,
including the erection of an engine house, the laying of sidewalks, curbs
and paving. For the past twenty-one years he has been a member of the board
of education of the Union district and is now chairman of the purchasing
board. In 1907 and again in 1915 he represented the town of Orange in the
state legislature and proved as discriminating and public-spirited in considering
questions concerning the entire state as lie has in dealing with matters
affecting only his community. He is a leading member of the village improvement
association of West Haven and also belongs to the Chamber of Commerce.
His political allegiance is given to the republican party and he has done
effective work in bringing about its success at the polls. Fraternally
he belongs to the Masons and the Odd Fellows, and he is also identified
with the Caledonian Club and Clan McLeod, of both of which he is a charter
member. His religious faith is indicated by liis membership in thr Congregational
church and he is prominent in the work of the Men's Club
pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary &