WILLIAM M. FLANNERY.
William M. Flannery, concentrating his energies upon the real estate and insurance business, with offices in the Malley building on Chapel street, is numbered among the native sons of this city who have ever felt that its opportunities and advantages were equal to those to be secured elsewhere and have therefore retained their residence here. He was born on the 16th of March, 1872, and is a son of Michael Flannery, a native of Ireland, who on crossing the Atlantic to America about 1865, when a youth of eighteen years, made his way direct to New Haven. For a number of years he was engaged in the teaming business and afterward became connected with the New Haven police department, with which he served for thirty years, when he retired. In politics he was a democrat but was not strongly partisan and had many friends among those in republican ranks. At local elections especially he cast an independent ballot, being always ready to give his aid and support to the right man for the office. Mr. Flannery was a cultured, genial gentleman of high ideals and although his educational opportunities were limited he learned many valuable lessons in the school of experience. He held membership in the Roman Catholic church and passed away in that faith June 28, 1915, when sixty-eight years of age. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth Whitlow, was also born on the green isle of Erin and was but nine years of age when she came alone to the United States. She made her way at once to New Haven, where she was reared, educated and married. She died on the 12th of March, 1911, at the age of sixty-four years, and is survived by three of her four children, one daughter, Anna, having died at the age of three years. The others are Katherine, William M. and Timothy, the last named a mechanic of East Haven.
William M. Flannery attended the parochial and public schools and was graduated from the commercial department of the high school of New Haven with the class of 1889. When his textbooks were put aside he began earning his own livelihood, being first employed in a clerical capacity with the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad Company, with which he was connected for a quarter of a century, or until December, 1915, filling the office of equipment clerk during the latter years of his connection with the railroad. He resigned his position to enter the real estate and insurance business, in which he has since been engaged, and in this period he has won a gratifying and substantial success.
Mr. Flannery is of the Roman Catholic faith, holding membership
in St. Rose’s church. He also belongs to the Knights of Columbus and to
the Holy Name Society. In politics he maintains an independent course.
The greater part of his time and attention is concentrated upon his business
interests and he has become thoroughly acquainted with the real estate
market and with various lines of insurance, so that he is able to wisely
care for the interests of his clients.
Modern History of New Haven
New York – Chicago
pgs 690 - 691
pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary &