Paul Pomeroy Ives, a member of the state legislature and a poultry expert of Connecticut whose name has become a synonym in connection with the raising of Black Langshans, has in all his business and public interests stood for progress and improvement and has done much to further development in the state, especially in the field of poultry raising.
He was born in Meriden, Connecticut, May 28, 1877, a son of Charles Pomeroy and Phoebe (Taintor) Ives. The father was born and reared in Meriden, where he engaged in the practice of law for fifteen years, but finding no satisfaction in his profession, he abandoned the law and took up the occupation of farming at Berlin, Connecticut. He also conducted a restaurant on State street in New Haven for a few years but is now concentrating his attention and energies upon general agricultural pursuits at Branford, Connecticut. While living at Berlin he served as a member of the town board for some time. His wife is a native of Sheldon, Massachusetts, and by their marriage they became the parents of six children, of whom five are yet living: Paul Pomeroy; Eli Butler, who is a physician and surgeon of Bridgeport, Connecticut; Hope, the wife of Frank Collins, of Branford; Eugenia, the wife of J. E. Stannard; and Mary, at home.
Paul P. Ives acquired his education in the district schools of Berlin and the city schools of New Haven and afterward learned the blacksmith’s trade in East Haven, also acquiring a knowledge of tool making there. In 1902 he purchased the blacksmith shop of John W. Grovener near the East River bridge on Clapboard hill, in Guilford, where he conducted business for five years. He was a partner of Mr. Grovener for five years and on the expiration of that period purchased the shop, which he conducted alone until June 1, 1916, when he sold out. He owns a valuable farm of twenty acres on the Boston post road on Clapboard hill in Guilford, where he raises Black Langshans. He is well known all over the east as a breeder and exhibitor of Black Langshans and mention of that breed at once brings to mind the name of Mr. Ives, for his name is known wherever chickens are exhibited. He has won many prizes on his exhibits of birds at New York and Boston poultry shows.
On the 21st of April, 1917, he was appointed on the staff of the New Haven County Farm Bureau, in charge of the farm employment bureau, which has headquarters in the Manufacturers’ exhibit hall on Chapel street in New Haven. Mr. Ives is also the poultry expert on the staff of the New Haven County Farm Bureau and he is director of the Boys and Girls Club of New Haven county, directing the organizations of girls’ clubs in the rural districts for the raising of pigs, for the production of corn and also canning clubs, in fact clubs for every activity that has to do with agricultural interests. He is vice president of the New Haven County Poultry Club, is the secretary of the Connecticut Poultry Breeders Society, Inc., a position which he has held for seven years, serving also on the executive committee, and is a life member of the American Poultry Association, of which he is acting as state organizer for Connecticut.
On the 27th of November, 1902, in New Haven, Mr. Ives was married to Miss Blanche Hammond, who was born in New Rochelle, Westchester county, New York, but was reared in Torrington in the home of her parents, Rev. Samuel and Frances (Howell) Hammond, who were natives of Riverhead, Long Island. The father devoted his life to the work of the Methodist Episcopal ministry. To Mr. and Mrs. Ives have been born three children, Charles Pomeroy, Eugenia Hammond and Frances Howell, all natives of Guilford.
In politics Mr. Ives has always been an earnest advocate of republican
principles. He has served as justice of the peace, on the board of finance
and as a member of the town committee for seven years. In 1916 he was elected
representative to the state legislature and is now serving on the shell
fishery and game committee and as clerk of the agricultural committee.
His wide experience makes him a valuable member of these committees. In
Masonic circles he is well known as a past master of St. Albans Lodge,
No. 38, F. & A. M., of Guilford, and as charter member of Guilford
Grange, No. 84, of the Patrons of Husbandry, of which he became the first
secretary. He is likewise connected with the Modern Woodmen of America
and he is a member of the executive committee of the Guilford Agricultural
Society. Advancement has been his watchword and his course has been marked
by steady progress in all that he has undertaken. His business ability
has found expression in his growing success and he is now one of the prosperous
residents of Guilford.
Modern History of New Haven
New York – Chicago
pgs 752 - 755
pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary &