LEROY ERNEST JOYCE.

  Leroy Ernest Joyce, senior partner in the Joyce Electric Company of New Haven, was born in Jacksonville, Florida, December 12, 1891, a son of Daniel and Linna Joyce, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Redding, Connecticut. When Leroy E. was but seven years of age his parents returned to Redding, where he attended the public schools and also studied for a time at Bethel, Connecticut. Afterward the family removed to the state of Washington, where he again attended the public schools, and later they returned to Bethel, where once more he was a public school pupil for four years. He then completed the branches that constituted the common school curriculum and turned his attention to electrical work.

  Coming to New Haven in 1910, Mr. Joyce first worked for the Gale Electric Company for a year and for a similar period was in the employ of the Hewett Electric Company. On the 1st of January, 1913, he became the associate of Frank H. Young in the organization of the Joyce Electric Company, and while they started out with but four employes, their business has since so developed along substantial lines that they today employ fourteen workmen. They have received the contract for the electrical work in many of the leading buildings of New Haven and vicinity, including the Church of the Messiah, the Humphreys Street Congregational church, the Howard Avenue Methodist Episcopal church, the Church of the Ascension, St. Mary’s Roman Catholic church at West Haven, the Swedish church on North street, Christ church and the Seventh Day Adventist church. The firm has also done much work for the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad and has done much display and decorative work for the Yale class reunions. They have expert knowledge and ability along their chosen line and occupy a foremost position in electric circles of New Haven.

  On the 3d of July, 1915, Mr. Joyce was married to Miss Ethel C. Barrett, of New Haven, and they have one child, Leroy Ernest, Jr., born in 1916. Mr. Joyce exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party and is a member of the Republican Club. Fraternally he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He also belongs to the Chamber of Commerce and is interested in all those forces which work for the upbuilding of the city. While a young man, he occupies an enviable position in business circles, having ever been actuated by a laudable ambition that has found expression in progressive steps.
 
 

Modern History of New Haven
and 
Eastern New Haven County

Illustrated

Volume II

New York – Chicago
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company 
1918

pg 833

Return to New Haven County Page

THANKS FOR VISITING
NEW HAVEN 
COUNTY BIOGRAPHIES
pages / text are copyrighted by
Elaine Kidd O'Leary &
Anne Taylor-Czaplewski
May 2002