— • —
Josiah Adkins (1673)
Richard Hall (1650)
David Sage (1662)
Membership Benefits. When you join the Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants, you will receive:
• Two issues per year of The Middler, the SMFSD newsletter full of information useful for research about Middletown’s first-settler families.
• The annual membership roster enabling you to network with Middletown “cousins” across the country interested in genealogy.
• Access to the member area of the SMFSD web site that features detailed profiles of the first 23 settlers, local history articles, a comprehensive bibliography of Middletown genealogy & local history, and an archive of past issues of the SMFSD newsletter, The Middler.
• The opportunity to attend SMFSD meetings (every three years) in Middletown that include genealogy research, cemetery tours, library/museum visits, member networking, and social events.
• The opportunity to participate in the organization, suggest/plan meeting activities, and vote on SMFSD business.
Membership is a simple 1-2-3 procedure. If you are a descendant of any pre-1700 Middletown settler, and would like to join SMFSD:
(1) Send an outline/worksheet of your lineage to the Registrar. The applicant shall do their own genealogical research, and the resulting lineage should be accompanied by copies of reference material by generation. The Society seeks to verify submitted information, but does not research family lines.
(2) Send a check payable to the Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants for the non-refundable $10.00 application handling fee.
(3) The Registrar will review the application for approval. Documentation is required only through the line of descent from the 1650-1700 settler. If needed, guidelines will be sent that help document descent by generation. (The Society will return an application if more documentation is needed. It is the applicant's responsibility to complete any gaps in the records.)
When approved, new members can choose to pay annual or lifetime dues: (A) Annual dues from November 1 to October 31 are $20.00 (in addition to the initial $10.00 application handling fee). (B) New members may elect to pay lifetime dues (instead of annual dues) based on age: Age 0-50, $300; Age 51-70, $200; Age 70+, $100.
Friends of SMFSD. Are you a history enthusiast? Would you like to receive The Middler? Join us at $20 per year!
Please send membership inquiries and/or lineage information to:
Hal Whitmore, Registrar
Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants
1301 North Harrison Street, Apt. 201
Wilmington, DE 19806
Plaques on Founders Rock and at Godfrey Library. Middletown, Conn. The plaque at left was mounted on Founders Rock in St. John's Park adjacent to Riverside Cemetery at the 250th anniversary of Middletown in 1900. The plaques at center and right were installed at Godfrey Memorial Library by the SMFSD in Middletown in 2000.