Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

WELCOME:
ABOUT SMFSD
A BRIEF HISTORY
OF MIDDLETOWN
FIRST SETTLER
BIO SKETCHES
MEMBERSHIP
RESEARCH LINKS
SMFSD NEWS
CONTACT SMFSD
— • —
MEMBER AREA:
Local History
In-Depth
First Settler Profiles
Genealogy
Resources
The Middler:
Newsletter
Archive
SMFSD Events
— • —

All pages
Copyright © 2007-2011
SMFSD
All rights reserved.

— • —

"Possibly one of
the incidental
functions of
genealogical study
is to chasten
family pride,
and to make us
more conscious of
the essential unity
of the great
human family."

- Donald Lines Jacobus

Brief Biographical Sketch:


Thomas Ranney (1658) / Mary (Hubbard) Ranney

Name: Thomas Ranney

Birth: abt. 1616 (estimated from gravestone inscription); location of birth uncertain. (MUH)

Emigration: Unknown; to Middletown by 1658. (MUH)

Death: June 21, 1713, Middletown Upper Houses, Conn., as recorded on his gravestone (MUH); June 25, 1713, Middletown, Conn. (MLR).

Occupation & Public Service: Husbandman (MLR); “frequently elected to office by his townsmen” (FFS); “He served equally with others on various town committees and was an active member of the community” (MUH).

Marriage: m. Mary Hubbard, May 1659, Middletown, Conn. (b. January 16, 1641, Hartford, Conn.; d. December 18, 1721, Middletown, Conn.) She was the daughter of George Hubbard and Elizabeth (Watts) Hubbard of Hartford, and later Middletown, Conn. (In-Depth First Settler Profile: George Hubbard).

Children: 11 children between 1660-1683. (BCVR)(MLR)(MAN)(MUH) (See in-depth profile in Member Area for details.)


See abbreviation code for sources. And then verify, verify, verify, verify.
For more biographical information see the In-Depth Profile in the Member Area.


The First Meeting House, Middletown, Conn. The engraving below by W.C. Butler was a fanciful illustration for David Field's Centennial Address published in 1853. In 1939 the image was used on the title page of The Log Cabin Myth by Harold R. Shurtleff. Surrounding the engraving are signatures of some of the first settlers as found on wills and deeds by Charles C. Adams in preparation of Middletown Upper Houses (1908).