Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

WELCOME:
ABOUT SMFSD
A BRIEF HISTORY
OF MIDDLETOWN
FIRST SETTLER
BIO SKETCHES
MEMBERSHIP
RESEARCH LINKS
SMFSD NEWS
CONTACT SMFSD
— • —
MEMBER AREA:
Local History
In-Depth
First Settler Profiles
Genealogy
Resources
The Middler:
Newsletter
Archive
SMFSD Events
— • —

All pages
Copyright © 2007
SMFSD
All rights reserved.

— • —

"Possibly one of
the incidental
functions of
genealogical study
is to chasten
family pride,
and to make us
more conscious of
the essential unity
of the great
human family."

- Donald Lines Jacobus

Brief Biographical Sketch:


Matthias Treat (1652) / Mary (Smith) Treat

Name: Matthias Treat

Birth: England, probably at or near Pitminster, Somersetshire; date unknown. (The Treat Family/Treat, 1893)

Emigration: To New England by 1638 (probably Watertown, Mass.); to Wethersfield, Conn. 1639 (The Treat Family/Treat, 1893); to Middletown before November 1652; back to Wethersfield after selling his Middletown properties in January 1653.(FFS)

Death: July 8, 1662, Wethersfield, Conn.(The Treat Family/Treat, 1893)

Occupation & Public Service: At a town meeting in Middletown, November 1652, Matthias Treat was elected as a surveyor of highways.(FFS)

Marriage: m. Mary Smith, about 1648, Wethersfield, Conn. (b. about 1627, England; d. unknown). Mary Smith was a daughter of Richard Smith & Rebecca (unknown surname) of England, and later, Wethersfield, Conn. (The Treat Family/Treat, 1893)

Children: 6 children between 1649-1662.(MVR, BCVR, New England Families/Cutter, 1913; The Treat Family/Treat, 1893.) (See in-depth profile in Member Area for details.)


See abbreviation code for sources. And then verify, verify, verify, verify.
For more biographical information see the In-Depth Profile in the Member Area.


The First Meeting House, Middletown, Conn. The engraving below by W.C. Butler was a fanciful illustration for David Field's Centennial Address published in 1853. In 1939 the image was used on the title page of The Log Cabin Myth by Harold R. Shurtleff. Surrounding the engraving are signatures of some of the first settlers as found on wills and deeds by Charles C. Adams in preparation of Middletown Upper Houses (1908).