Welcome to The American History and Genealogy Project (AHGP), an unincorporated not-for-profit network of independent sites devoted to History & Genealogy, and covering North American Countries and Territories. For more information about our group, including how you can join us, please see our About page.
Adams Barnes Benson Billings Bottineau Bowman Burke Burleigh Cass Cavelier Dickey Divide Dunn Eddy Emmons Foster Golden Valley Grand Forks Grant Griggs Hettinger Kidder La Moure Logan McHenry McIntosh McKenzie McLean Mercer Morton Mountrail Nelson Oliver Pembina Pierce Ramsey Ranson Renville Richland Rolette Sargent Sheridan Sioux Slope Stark Steele Stutsman Towner Traill Walsh Ward Wells Williams
Dakota Territory in the Civil War
AHGP Civil War Project
On March 2, 1861, Congress created the Dakota Territory, which consisted of the present-day states of North Dakota and South Dakota, and most of Montana and Wyoming. In 1863 the size of the territory was reduced to the area of North and South Dakota.
Wyoming Territory was taken from sections of Dakota, Utah, and Idaho territories and formed July 25, 1868. It was admitted to the union on July 10, 1890.
On May 26, 1864, President Lincoln signed an act making Montana a territory. Montana was admitted to the union November 8,1889.
1st Battalion Cavalry
CIVIL-WAR Mailing List
CIVIL-WAR-WOMEN Mailing List
For those who are researching women that served or assisted in the American Civil War .
CW-POW Mailing List
For the discussion and sharing of information regarding the Civil War prisoner of war camps and prisoners of war, both Union and Confederate.
If you can't find your unit or regiment on these pages, please check the Civil War Soldiers and Sailors page.
National Park Service Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Main Page
RELOAD FOR CURRENT UPDATES. CHECK THE MAIN PAGE FOR NEW MONTHLY UPDATE LIST AND MESSAGES
To add information (correct name, add soldier information, etc.) to these pages, please contact by email the webmaster of that unit page. Email addresses should be found on each unit page. Thanks.
- 1883 South Dakota Pensioners Online [ by county]
- 1883 South Dakota Pensioners Online [by county]
- 1889 Old Soldiers Reunion, Chickasaw, Iowa [numerous states]
- 1890 Veterans Census for Northern Virginia - 1890 Veterans Census of Alexandria, Falls Church and Fairfax, Fauquier, Loudoun, Prince William, and Stafford Counties Listing of soldiers/sailors from US Infantry, US Artillery, Navy, and states of CA, CT, DC, IA, IL, IN, MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, MN, MS, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, TN, TX, VA, VT, WI, WV, Washington; other titles of Surgeons, Inspector General, US Inf., Chaplin Hospital; includes many names without state identification or units.
- 1893 Nebraska Census of Civil War Veterans (listed under Assorted States' Enlistees)
- Andreas' History of the State of Nebraska - Military Rosters This website is well worth looking at. It names the Veterans residence as well as their nationality and in some cases where buried. Of the first 3 pages I came up with more states and countries than I can list here. Nationalities of Canada, Prussia, Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Sweden, England, Luxemboug, Switzerland, Wales, and more.
- Civil War Forum by Genealogy.com [If you are not familiar with Genealogy.Com check out their main web page - so many topics, family names, states and more.
- Civil War Mysteries: Home of the Unknowns
- Dakota Genealogy Research: Historical Background of the 1890 Special Census of Civil War Veterans and Widows
- Dakota Territory in the Civil War
- Grand Army of the Republic Death Rolls Books [advertisement] includes states of AL, AR, CA, CO, CT, Dakota Territory, DE, District of Columbia, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE Territory, NE, NH, NJ, NM Territory, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, RH, TN, VT, VA, WV, WI, US Army, USCT, US Navy, Veterans Reserve Corp.
- North Dakota Civil War Battle Maps
- 1st Dakota Cavalry Roster
The Civil War was one of the most important events to take place in America. It divided the country and in some cases families. It is the intention of this site to explore all aspects of the Civil War , it's battles, and the men and women involved in them. If you have information that pertains to the War between the States, please submit it to me. I will accept any information you have so long as it isn't copyrighted.
The American History and Genealogy Project
site is owned by
The American History and Genealogy Project- Civil War
Founded April 8, 2000
Copyright ©2000, 2001, Debbie Axtman, Jim Powell, Jr., Jan Philips, and Brenda Hare, for the exclusive use and benefit of The American History and Genealogy Project. All rights reserved. Thanks to Ginger for the original design of this page.
©Copyright - 2003 - 2009 This site was created by Katy Hestand and first published 15 May 2003. All rights reserved. You are free to copy information for your own personal use. It may not be published in any form for commercial gain.