Hitt BiosSubmitted by Linda Thank 4/2009
The History of the Dakota Territory
By George Washington Kingsbury, George Martin Smith
Publisher: S. J.
Clarke Publishing Company, 1915.
The Hitt family is one of the best known in Bon Homme
county, where three brothers, Martin E., Thomas M. and Henry P., and a sister,
Mrs. Elizabeth Wagner, reside and are among the largest landowners in that
section of the state. The father. Rev. Thomas S. Hitt, was a native of Bourbon
county, Kentucky, born February 14, 1797, a son
of Rev. Martin Hitt, who was born in Virginia
but as a young man crossed the mountains to Kentucky,
later removing to Ohio.
The family, which is of German descent, had lived for several generations in Virginia previous to the removal to Kentucky. Rev. Thomas S. Hitt went to Indiana in 1827 and seven years later settled in Ohio, both states being
at that time but sparsely settled. There he won distinction as a minister of
the Militant Methodist church. In 1837 he removed to Ogle county, Illinois, that region being then upon the western
frontier, and in 1851 he established the Rock River
Academy at Mount
Morris, which for years was the most
famous institution of higher learning in Illinois.
Many of the prominent statesmen and business men of the Prairie state today
claim it as their alma mater and are proud of its record.
Rev. Hitt married Miss Emily John, whose father, Robert
John, was a son of John John, who resided in Philadelphia during the Revolutionary war.
Robert John removed from Pennsylvania to Indiana, becoming a
resident of the latter state in the early days of its history. Of the eight
children born to Rev. Thomas S. Hitt four remained in Illinois and four came to Dakota. The two
sons who continued to reside in the Prairie state both became prominent in
political circles there. John was for almost forty years deputy United States collector of revenue in Chicago and Robert R.
represented his district in congress for twenty-four years. He was assistant
secretary of state under James G. Elaine and accompanied General Grant upon the
latter's tour around the world.
Martin E. Hitt, the oldest of the family, was born in Urbana, Champaign county, Ohio, April 27, 1836. He was but a year old
when the family removed to Illinois
and the other children were all born in that state. He received his education
in the Rock River
Academy, established by
his father and which he inherited after the latter's death. In September, 1874,
he came to Dakota territory and secured a half
section of land in what is now Bon Homme county under the homestead and timber
acts. In the fall of the following year he settled upon the place and began its
improvement. He has purchased additional land there from time to time and now
owns almost a thousand acres. After the death of his brother-in-law, Captain
Wagner, in 1898, his sister, Mrs. Wagner, took charge of his bachelor quarters
and still makes her home with him. In 1913 he retired from active farming and
he and his sister now live in Tyndall.
Thomas M. Hitt served in the Fourth Illinois Cavalry from
1863 until the close of the Civil war, participating in the fighting around Memphis and in other parts of the Mississippi valley. After the cessation of
hostilities he learned stenography and was for a time employed in the
department of the interior. Later he became private secretary for Governor
Oglesby when he was elected United States
senator from Illinois and subsequently served
in a like capacity for Charles B. Farwell, United
States senator from Illinois. In 1878 Mr. Hitt removed to Dakota territory and acquired a large tract of land,
giving his attention principally to the breeding of fine horses. In 1894 he
retired and removed to Tyndall, where he is still residing. He has never
ceased, however, to take an interest in fine horses and always owns a few
standard bred horses of the Wilkes stock. He finds much pleasure in driving and
indulges himself in that regard almost every fine day.
Henry P. Hitt, the youngest of the three brothers who
removed to this state, was born November 11, 1842, and came to Dakota territory in 1875 but remained only long enough to
make entry on a claim. He then returned to Illinois, where he remained for three years,
but in 1878 permanently located here. He has also become a large landowner in
Bon Homme county and derives a handsome income from his property. At one time
the three brothers and their sister, Mrs. Wagner, owned a tract of land in the
western part of Bon Homme county extending on both sides of the road for a
distance of six miles. The family Ib not only one of the wealthiest in the
state but its members have also gained positions of leadership in their
locality, where they are universally respected and esteemed.
Cyclopaedia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical
Publisher: Harper & brothers; 1891.Page 278.
Hitt, Daniel, a Methodist Episcopal minister of considerable
eminence, was born in Fauquier County,
Va., entered the itinerancy in
1790, became the travelling companion of bishop Asbury in 1807, and in 1808 was
elected by the General Conference one of the agents of the Methodist Book
Concern, the duties of which office he discharged for eight years. He next,
with great fidelity, served as presiding elder until 1822, when he became the
travelling companion of bishop M'Kendree. In 1823 he took charge of the Potomac
District; after two years' labors he passed to the Carlisle District, and there
closed his earthly work. Mr. Hitt was a man of marked "simplicity and
integrity," and "the affability of his manners and the sweetness of
his disposition, in his private intercourse in society, gained him the
affection of all" He died of typhus fever, in great peace and sure hope,
in September, 1825.—Minutes of Conf. i, 507.
Wife of Benjamin
WILLIAMS of Beaufort S.C.
History and dictionary of Alabama biography
By Thomas McAdory Owen, Marie Bankhead Owen
Published by s. J. Clarke publishing company, 1921
WILLIAMS. DAVID H., physician and planter, was born October
25, 1827, in Greene County; son of Benjamin and Edna
(Hitt) Williams, natives respectively, of Beaufort and Lawrence
Districts, S. C., who located in Tuscaloosa County, 1818, the former a farmer,
captain of State militia at its first organization, and for many years
thereafter, and justice of the peace for forty years; grandson of Benjamin and
Mary (Abercrombie) Williams, the former a native of England, who located in
Virginia, was a colonel in the U. S. Army, and met his death during an engagement
with the Indians, 1797; and of David and Jane (Meek) Hitt, natives of South Carolina, who
located in Greene County about 1874, where he died at the ripe age of
ninety-three. Dr. Williams received his academic education in Alabama
and was graduated from the South Carolina
medical college, Charleston,
in 1851. He entered upon his profession in his native county, but removed to Gainesville where he
practiced both medicine and surgery. He was captain of a company in Armstead's
cavalry, C. S. Army, and served until the close of the war. Among his most
brilliant military achievements was the feint on Rome,
Ga., which detained Sherman
until Hood could get well on his way to Tennessee.
In 1872 he visited Mexico
and secured a half million acres of land and engaged in the live stock
business. He also owned an apple orchard in Missouri. He was a Democrat; a Methodist;
and Mason. Married: in 1853, to Eugenia Floride, daughter of Aquilla and
Elizabeth (Tutt) Hutton, the former a physician, natives of South Carolina, who
removed early in life to Greene County; granddaughter of Gen. Joseph and Nancy
(Cal- licmn) Hutton, the latter a first cousin of John C. Calhoun. Children: 1.
Eugene, circuit judge, Waco, Tex.
2. David H., physician, professor in medical college, Knoxville,
Tenn., first honor man of New York medical college; 3. Gesner, (q.
v.). Residence: Gainesville.