[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
BARTON in the CLAY, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 3¼ miles (S.) from Silsoe, containing 668 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £26.9.7., and in the patronage of the Crown. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. A school is endowed with property producing about £50 per annum, the bequest of Edward Willes, in 1807, for the instruction of forty poor children.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 26 March 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.