Bedfordshire.gif - 13831 Bytes

Bromham


St Owen's Church

Photographs © John Crow 2001

BROMHAM, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 3¾ miles (W. N.W.) from Bedford, containing 298 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at 8, and in the patronage of the Provost and Fellows of Eton College. The church, dedicated to St. Owen, contains some handsome monuments to deceased members of the families of Trevor and Dyne. The village lies on the banks of the river Ouse, over which there is a bridge: it is recorded that the channel of this river, from some unknown cause, was left so bare of water in 1399 and in 1648, that persons walked in it to the distance of three miles. Here is a mineral spring, but in disuse.

[Extract from Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]

See also Bromham Mill

Bromham Bridge - Roman - the Mill is top left
Bromham Bridge - Roman - the Mill is top right

Return to Places page


Comments and Other Information

Last Updated on: 28 August 2001
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.