[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
CHICKSANDS, an extra-parochial liberty, in the hundred of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (W.N.W.) from Shefford, containing 66 inhabitants. A priory for canons and nuns of the rule of St. Gilbert of Sempringham was founded, in 1150, by Pain de Beauchamp, and the Lady Roas, his wife; the two quadrangles, with the cloisters, remain entire, and have been converted into a modem mansion.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 17 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.