[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
CLIFTON, a parish in the hundred Of CLIFTON, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (E. by N.) from Shefford, containing 483 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the kings books at £20.2.11., and in the patronage of the Rev. D.J. Olivier. The church, dedicated to All Saints, contains some ancient monumental brasses, and a fine altar-tomb in memory of Sir Michael Fisher, who died lord of the minor in 1549. The river Ivel, lately made navigable, runs through the parish. There is a day and Sunday school, founded and endowed in 1827, by the late rector, the Rev. D. S. Olivier, for eighteen children.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 17 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.