[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
CLOPHILL, a parish in the hundred of FLITT, county of BEDFORD, 1¾ mile (N. by E.) from Silsoe, containing 838 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £12, and in the patronage of the Countess De Grey. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, stands upon an eminence at some distance from the village. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. The river Ivel passes through the parish. At Cainhoe are vestiges of the ancient moated Castle of the Barons d'Albini; the hill on which it stood is high and steep and overgrown, with coppice wood. Here was a religious house, probably a cell to St. Alban's abbey.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 17 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.