[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
EATON-SOCON, a parish in the hundred of BARFORD, county of BEDFORD, 1½ mile (S.W.) from St. Neot's, containing, with Wyboston, 2039 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £20. 13. 9. The Duke of Bedford was patron in 1808. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. Here was anciently a castle, the residence of a branch of the family of Beauchamps; also a priory for Augustine friars, founded by Sir Oliver Beauchamp and his son Hugh, the only remaining portion of which is the refectory, now converted into stables. The river Ouse is navigable along the eastern boundary of the parish.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 26 March 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.