[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
FLITWICK, a parish in the hundred of REDBORNE-STOKE, county of BEDFORD, 2¾ miles (S. by W.) from Ampthill, containing 489 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £7.17., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty. The Duke of Bedford was patron in 182O. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. A monastery, or cell to Dunstable priory, was erected here in 1170, by Philip de Sannerville.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 9 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.