[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
GOLDINGTON, a parish in the hundred of BARFORD, county of BEDFORD, 1¾ mile (N. E. by NE.) from Bedford, containing 496 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £8.9.4½., and in the patronage of the Duke of Bedford. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. The navigable river Ouse bounds the parish on the south. There is a lofty conical mound, the remains of an ancient fortification, called Castle hill. In the reign of Henry II., Simon Beauchamp founded a monastery in honour of St. Paul, and removed hither the Black canons of the priory of St. Paul's, Bedford; at the dissolution its revenue was estimated at £343.15.5.
Return to Places page
Last Updated on: 19 April 2000
For comments about this webpage, please email Martin Edwards.
©1999. EnglandGenWeb and WorldGenWeb Project.